1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SR 4x4 upgrades, post lease purchase

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by thinkingpistol, May 12, 2024.

1. May 12, 2024 at 3:00 PM
    thinkingpistol

thinkingpistol [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR 4x4 V6 Magnetic Grey
    With the ridiculous car market prices and the move to all hybrids, I’ve decided to just buy my taco. It’s an DCSB SR 4x4, and has been great. I’ve only got about 18K miles on it thanks to the pandemic and a second vehicle so it’s well worth the contracted purchase price of $21K and change. The only things I’ve changed is seat jackers, rubber floor mats, console dividers, and a BAKflip MX4 & bed mat.

Time to make it mine.

I live in Michigan and drive about 1/3 each: city/highway/dirt roads. Since this will become my daily I would like to get a modest lift for some more tire…comfort and traction for the unpaved surfaces that I’m on quite a bit. I’d also like a bit more torque and get up and go. Headlights suck too, especially out in the country where there aren’t any street lights.

Plans:
    2” inch lift (do I need UCA’s for that?)
    Flush fit set of wheels and tires that will fit with no fuss
    New headlights & whatever harness is required for that and fog lights
    Re-gear to 4.88
    Neoprene seat covers that fit good
    A mount for devices inside the cab (GMRS radio and my phone)
    Better head unit and speakers with wireless CarPlay
    Maybe a sport hood just because I like the look?
    Window tint

I’d also like to know if there is a steering column available that has more extension available than the stock one in an SR? Not a big deal, but it would be nice.

Thoughts or recommendations on the above would be appreciated!

2. May 12, 2024 at 3:11 PM
    Squirt

Squirt Certified in forklifts and meme stealing =)

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Cornfields of Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat with 3.5L of fury!!
    Rexing front and rear dash camera, some LEDs, Weathertech HP floor liners/vent shades/bug deflector/underseat storage bin, OEM Ford bed mat, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros in selective yellow, Diode Dynamics 18" light bar in amber and universal Carhartt seat covers. Bak Revolver X4S tonneau cover. Android Auto USB plug upgrade! H11 to H9. Sound deadened/insulated floors and rear wall. VLED license plate reverse light. Yokohama GO15s. Rokblokz mud flaps. Flowmaster Super 50 Series with stock resonator. J&L catch can. Speedys Equipment resonator.
    I'd suggest....
    • Fox 2.0 leveling kit. They aren't cheap but are great quality and rebuildable shocks. I just put them on my F150 and they are great!
    • Since you're in Michigan you get snow and want good winter traction but still probably want decent fuel economy I'd suggest the Yokohama Geolandar GO15's. They are 3PMSF rated and pretty mild tread with a cool-ish sidewall. I have them on my F150 and are great in the winter and are SUPER quiet!
    • For fog lights I suggest the Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros or Max's in selective yellow SAE fog light pattern. Don't get the Sports as they don't melt snow but the Pros and Max's do unless your budget doesn't allow. Max's have the best output and light cut off.

3. May 12, 2024 at 3:39 PM
    thinkingpistol

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I will check these out. Thank you for the recommendations.

Steves104x4 and Stevie17 like this.
  4. May 12, 2024 at 3:47 PM
    Stevie17

Stevie17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevie
    Crossville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sr 5 dcsb peeling Super White 4x4
    Check with a vendor on here hotshot off-road. @memario1214 can help you out . :thumbsup:

Steves104x4, memario1214 and Squirt like this.
  5. May 12, 2024 at 3:49 PM
    Squirt

Squirt Certified in forklifts and meme stealing =)

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Cornfields of Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat with 3.5L of fury!!
    Rexing front and rear dash camera, some LEDs, Weathertech HP floor liners/vent shades/bug deflector/underseat storage bin, OEM Ford bed mat, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros in selective yellow, Diode Dynamics 18" light bar in amber and universal Carhartt seat covers. Bak Revolver X4S tonneau cover. Android Auto USB plug upgrade! H11 to H9. Sound deadened/insulated floors and rear wall. VLED license plate reverse light. Yokohama GO15s. Rokblokz mud flaps. Flowmaster Super 50 Series with stock resonator. J&L catch can. Speedys Equipment resonator.
    X2. He sells Diode Dynamics and Fox shocks. Good guy. I buy all my DD lights from him and just bought my Fox 2.0s from him! :)

memario1214 and Stevie17[QUOTED] like this.
  6. May 12, 2024 at 3:51 PM
    Stevie17

Stevie17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevie
    Crossville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sr 5 dcsb peeling Super White 4x4
    I figured you would give him a shout out but noooooooooo. @Squirt :smack:

memario1214 and Squirt[QUOTED] like this.
  7. May 12, 2024 at 3:55 PM
    Clinch Mountain Preacher

Clinch Mountain Preacher Serpent handler

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen AC SR5 4x4
    Here's some of the more basic/less $$ stuff I did to my SR5 to make it a little more durable off road:

-Bilstein 5100 all around
    -Diff breather relocation mod
    -AC drain line extension mod (not an off roading mod)
    -ATF cooler depending on your needs
    -ARB front recovery point depending on your needs
    -Tires!!
    -Total Chaos or similar cam tab gussets depending on your needs
    -4Runner front shock lower bolt swap
    -TRD or other aluminum engine skid to replace stock splash guard
    -More flexible mudflaps like RokBlokz or similar
    -Yellow fogs help if you drive on the coast in fog or snow at night

Last edited: May 12, 2024
    M85 likes this.
  8. May 12, 2024 at 3:57 PM
    jlemmond

jlemmond Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Monroe, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    After building my 3rd gen and now with my GX, i wish i wouldnt have taken it as far as i did/have. Yea it looks cool and its functional but 99% of it was not at all needed to do what i do with it.

Mod the shit out of it if thats what you heart desires, just giving you a POV from the otherside of things.

Good luck OP.

9. May 12, 2024 at 4:20 PM
    thinkingpistol

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, my mods are just for general use…seeing at night, better experience on back roads and getting to hunting fishing and camping sites. No heavy wheeling or anything. The re-gear is just because I hate the lack of nuts and will be driving it a lot more.

10. May 12, 2024 at 5:16 PM
    Clinch Mountain Preacher

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen AC SR5 4x4
    Totally agree.

Closer it stays to stock, the more reliable and better on-road it will be. Toyotas in general are perfectly fine "fresh out of the box"

A wise old timer told me eons ago that "fancy rides need fancy maintenance"...which is so true with heavily modified Tacomas.

High performance is a big investment of time above all else

lastcall190 likes this.
  11. May 13, 2024 at 8:32 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Hey there! Thanks to @Stevie17 and @Squirt for the nod.

There's going to be a million options that you could go with that will check all of the boxes that you want! One thing I will say is that since you are in Michigan and I know your winters are brutal I would recommend that we go with a suspension that has an aluminum body to resist your inevitable corrosion as best as possible. That would be something like the Fox 2.0s as @Squirt alluded to or like an Icon setup. If you're looking to only capture about 2" of lift you shouldn't be in need of new UCAs.

As for fog lights the gold standard is the Diode Dynamics SS3. I'd recommend the Pro or max power level to be able to cut through the Michigan blizzards.

Do you know which headlights that you want? Are you looking for OEM, or are you after an aftermarket look? That might be something worth looking at what you like the look of, and we can weigh in on if they're worth a darn or not.

12. May 15, 2024 at 8:48 AM
    thinkingpistol

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Sorry guys, been firing the flu the last couple of days. I’m back!

13. May 15, 2024 at 8:57 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    We're here whenever you're ready! :cheers:

14. May 15, 2024 at 10:03 AM
    thinkingpistol

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Ok questions…

Suspension: 5100 kit I gather is not aluminum, but I know they are very popular for the type of driving needs I have and appear to be half price of the basic Fox kit. I could replace them a second time for the same money. Is the performance on country roads and fire trails that big a difference? Seems like maybe branding is at play, but I’m a newb.

Headlights and fog lights: To go LED on an SR, it appears I need special harnesses. I expected it for the fog lights, but not the headlights. Is there another option to improve the headlight performance or a harness available that will enable both things?

While I’m at it does anyone know the wheel offset for a flush fit to the fenders?

15. May 15, 2024 at 10:28 AM
    Clinch Mountain Preacher

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen AC SR5 4x4
    To go LED on headlights you need to buy actual LED headlights...the entire units

Throwing LED bulbs in a halogen housing won't work well (unless you're blind like some of the tools on here who run around blinding folks with their Chinesium LED "upgrades" in the stock halogen housings"

thinkingpistol[OP] likes this.
  16. May 15, 2024 at 10:46 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    If you're comfortable with knowing that the 5100s will likely break down visually then you'll be fine. They're not known for leaking, even when the finishes fail. The ride quality of a 5100 is not known for being great, but if you pair them with a lift spring instead of capturing your lift via circlip you can generally enjoy a bit better ride quality out of a 5100 thanks to the spring rate difference with using a lift spring. The ride quality difference isn't going to be huge on fire roads, but the Fox would be a little more supple on the fire roads, Bilsteins will be a little more composed on the highway in terms of body roll.

If you want to go full OEM LED on the headlights you'll need a special harness, yes. The same goes for most aftermarket housings as well. It's very commonplace though so nothing to be worried about. You could get replacement bulbs for the headlights (something like a Diode Dynamics SL2 or Morimoto 2Stroke 4.0), but they generally won't perform quite as well as a quality replacement unit. That said, they're a fraction of the price as well.

17. May 18, 2024 at 8:23 AM
    thinkingpistol

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I think I’m settled on the 6112/5160 combo for the lift. Maybe overkill at first for what I’ll do, but I know I won’t have to buy something else later.

I’ve decided just to use the H9 mod for headlights and see if the difference is enough before plunking down a grand for headlight upgrades.

I still don’t know what to do on the wheels/tires. I’d like to stay with 16” wheels but it limits options quite a bit. With the lift coming, I’d really like to avoid modifying anything in the wheel wells and I’m really thinking 32” tires is the sweet spot. A little extra side wall and clearance. 265x75x16?

Products Discussed in

To Top