1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SRS warning light/no steering wheel controls.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MGH-PA, May 6, 2010.

1. May 6, 2010 at 4:35 AM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    So I had to have my steering rack replaced, and I just got the truck back yesterday (mind you this is a mechanic we go to, not Toyota), and now my SRS light is on, I have no steering wheel audio controls, and when I turn the wheel, it sounds as if a spring is being wound and unwound? I know he had someone do an alignment on it, and I'm not sure if the steering wheel needs removed to move the sector shaft to get the old rack out and new in or what (didn't get a chance to talk to him as he wasn't there). Before I take it back to him, I want to make sure if it's the spiral cable that's broken, that I don't get charged for it, since I didn't do it obviously. Does this sound as if it's most likely a spiral cable issue, or what?

2. May 6, 2010 at 4:47 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yup- Spiral cable is "made to" withstand the turning of the wheel and supply power/information signals to the airbag and the wheel controls...so I would guess that it is broken.

3. May 6, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    Fantastic. Just keeps getting better.

4. May 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    The spiral cable is only manufactured with enough cable to allow the steering wheel to rotate maybe 2-3 complete turns in any one direction - which is the same number of revolutions from center to full lock in either direction. If you had the steering rack removed, the steering wheel can now spin in any direction for pretty much infinity (since the steering shaft is removed from the steering rack) - but the spiral cable can still only rotate 3 turns before breaking.

Someone turned your steering wheel more than 3 times while the rack was out - breaking your spiral cable. Its been done many, many, many times before.

Products Discussed in

To Top