1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stack on gun cabinet

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by kauaibuilt, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Mar 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt [OP] U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Anyone with any experience with these? I want something more secure then what I have now but I move every few years and tend to rent anything from apts, condos, or houses and never really know what floor I'll be on. Once I ETS (for you military types) I can get a real safe but for now...

Right now Im leaning towards the Stack-On 10-gun double cabinet. Its CA DOJ security rated, but not fireproof, and will hold more than I need it to right now (they have a 16-gun version but not locally and shipping basically doubles its price).

[​IMG]

Current arsenal:
    3 AR's (maybe a 4th on the way)
    1 scoped rifle
    4 pistols
    About 11k in ammo (22lr, 5.56, 9mm, .40)

2. Mar 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Its a cabinet, not a safe, so its made to hold your firearms, not protect them against fire or a break in. Think of metal slightly thicker than a filing cabinet.... So a hammer and a good sized screw driver could pry this thing open.

Also, check walmart for prices of stack-on cabinets. They are the cheapest I have found when I was shopping for a stack-on cabinet, plus shipping is free!

Edit. Walmart's price is double the Home Depot price. Nvm... You can show the home depot price to a person at walmart and see if they price match w/ free shipping. haha

3. Mar 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    kauaibuilt

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    11k rounds = 3k 9mm, 1k .40 (1k waiting on jack ross), 1.5k 5.56 (3k on brownells backorder), and 2-3k 22lr.

Thanks for the input guys. I might have to hit up lowes, home depot, and costco for a smaller (read: lighter) safe for the firearms but then maybe get this cabinet for ammo, cleaning supplies, and the like.

[​IMG]

4. Mar 17, 2012 at 11:54 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
  5. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    i've got one of these http://www.snapsafe.com/titansafe.php it's a modular safe - you buy it, they ship it to you on a crate... then you carry the components (side panels, top, bottom, door, etc) to the location you want it and assemble... the heaviest part is the door, but i managed to get it to my second floor on my own (was some gruntwork though)..

6. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Looks good. Are you coming to the socal mod day the reckless is putting on?

7. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's California DOJ rated because it has a key lock.

CADOJ has nothing to do with the security level of a "safe".... the only thing the rating means is that it satisfies exactly the same requirements as the cable lock that came with your gun, served it's only legal purpose the moment you stepped on the sidewalk outside the gun store, and that you gave to your biker neighbor for his helmet.

Stack-on cabinets are junk as far as security. They are no more secure than a file cabinet.
    Will they keep a curious child away from your guns? Most likely, yes.
    Do they offer ANY level of security against someone willing to spend 30 seconds bending or twisting sheetmetal with a screwdriver? No.

8. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That's not a bad idea.

One of the biggest issues with buying a gun safe is security during delivery/installation.
    If that is being done by an employee of the actual store, then that limits your exposure. Buying from Costco, it's being delivered by God knows who that just jumped the border.

But when I was growing up, the running joke in my neighborhood was that if you wanted your house broken into, you'd buy a gun safe.
    EVERYONE had guns... and they were rolled in a blanket in the closet.
    But every time someone took delivery of a gun safe, within a couple of weeks, they got burglarized and the safe was stolen or cleaned out.

We never knew who was responsible for it, but we assumed it was someone who lived there since this happened many times over the years so it's unlikely it was the delivery guys.

But anyways, even if you buy it yourself at Lowe's, you're rolling up to your house with a box that has "GUN SAFE" plastered all over it.
    Not a good idea.
    When I brought mine home, I covered the safe with a Maytag refrigerator box.

9. Mar 18, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I've got 2 metal gun cabinets - one full of ammo and primers and one full of powder. But the guns are in a real safe. You can get a fireproof 5' 500 lb safe for less than the cost of one rifle. Think of it as one-time-cost insurance. They last a lifetime.

10. Mar 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    kauaibuilt

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Good call guys. This looks like the most viable alternative right now. Might get this and the gun cabinet to store pellet guns, maybe 22lr's, ammo, and such.

Products Discussed in

To Top