1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stalling in reverse in snow/cold help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ProtoJ, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    ProtoJ

ProtoJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Double Cab, Superwhite
    Removed 2nd air fliter, AFE Pro Dry filter, Scangauge II, shorty antenna, ARE CX Topper, URD Short Throw w/ TRD Shift Knob, Toyota Chrome Exhaust tip, FJ TRD Center Caps, Westin Prerunner bar w/ Hella 500 Lights, Hardwired Garmin
    This scenario has happended twice now. I have a 2007 4x4 6 speed DC Sport. I pull into my parking lot at work, turn off 4wd and pull into my parking spot. Temp 20F, snow. At the end of the day, as I back up and go from reverse to 1st, the truck stalls and then won't start for another minute or so. Engine turns over. Scanguage II has no error codes. What the heck is going on?

2. Jan 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Arlington, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I'm going to say that it's something along the lines of you not giving the 4wd enough time to disengage after turning it off.

Maybe since it's still partially in 4wd, as you let the clutch out in 1st, there's not enough torque there to push all 4 drive wheels? And that's causing a stall.

I dunno, I'm just guessing at this point.

3. Jan 11, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.7" URD Pulley, APR X1, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Alcan aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, m/t atz 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    how long do you warm up the truck?

4. Jan 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    My troubleshooting manual says, and I quote...

Warm engine, try checking the following:

Adjust the idle settings, could be dirty fuel filter, check fuel pump output, vacuum leak, or sensor failure.

Cold engine, try checking the following:

Stuck choke, EGR, or vacuum leak.

Personally I bet it's the fuel pump or dirty/clogged fuel filter. May not be creating enough pressure in the system after truck sits for long time, then after a few starts builds the needed pressure back up. Easy to check it out.

5. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Arlington, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    But if it's something like that, it should be doing it every time he starts the truck in the morning.

I'm leaning more towards something related directly to the 4wd, and or transmission. Since it only happens after a certain function.

6. Jan 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Hmmm. OK, good point.

OP, are you putting the truck back into 4x4 before this happens?

7. Jan 12, 2012 at 4:03 AM
    ProtoJ

ProtoJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Double Cab, Superwhite
    Removed 2nd air fliter, AFE Pro Dry filter, Scangauge II, shorty antenna, ARE CX Topper, URD Short Throw w/ TRD Shift Knob, Toyota Chrome Exhaust tip, FJ TRD Center Caps, Westin Prerunner bar w/ Hella 500 Lights, Hardwired Garmin
    I back out in 2wd. Also, I don't let the truck warm up...just start it up and go. It sounds plausable that the 4wd may not be fully dissengaged. I wonder what distance it takes for it to dissengage? I probably drove a couple hundred feet in 2wd before pulling into my parking spot. But I do remember the previous time this happened, I turned of 4wd as I was parked and when I backed out it made a big clunk before it stalled. This time no clunk.

8. Jan 12, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    mountainwolfpup

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    OK, maybe a silly question but... Why don't you just leave your truck in 4x4? Obviously you need it up until when you park, and therefore I assume the same is true for when you get back on the road?

I can tell you that the 4x4 engage and disengage times are really inconsistent on my truck, sometimes pops right in and out and othertimes the 4x4 light on dash blinks at me for several minutes.

9. Jan 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Arlington, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    I agree about the 4wd taking some time to engage/disengage. With mine, I find that it works the fastest when I let off of the accelerator and sometimes even faster when I clutch in then release.

To Top