1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starter going bad??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by capecodtaco, Sep 29, 2023.

1. Sep 29, 2023 at 8:45 AM
    capecodtaco

capecodtaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica SR5
    Stock
    Hi Tacoma guru's
    I'm starting to have an issue with my '14 DCSB 4.0L. 174K Randomly when I go to start the truck nothing happens when I turn the key to start. I'll release the key then turn it to start again immediately and it starts right up. The dash lights up normally and the battery is less than a year old. It literally try and start no starter motor. All the way to off and back to start and Vroom. Any suggestions would be helpful before I just throw a starter at it.

2. Sep 29, 2023 at 9:00 AM
    BentOutOfShape

BentOutOfShape Member

Member:
    South Shore Boston.
    Vehicle:
    Red Tacoma TRD off road 6ft
    None Yet?
    Hey fellow Masshole. Going to the cottage in Sandwich today. It doesn't sound like we have the same problem but I do have an issue when I fire it up. Not always but sometimes there is a slight buzzing when I start the truck but it is intermittent so I best take it to the local dealer. Good luck on a quick resolution old friend of mine.

3. Sep 29, 2023 at 12:06 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Check the electrical connections for corrosion first. Check the battery connections, the grounds and the connections on the starter. Loosen them , inspect them and clean if necessary. Make sure they are all tight. Often it is corroded, dirty, loose connections that is the problem , not the starter. Check and inspect the electrical connections before getting a new starter.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
    b_r_o, winkel and GilbertOz like this.
  4. Sep 29, 2023 at 3:40 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The weak link on these starters is the Solenoid Contacts which are prone to wear and charring. Indications are one single click and then nothing. That click is the starter relay which sends power to the starter solenoid to pull it in. The solenoid pulls in the plunger that connects the copper contacts for the starter motor power and extends the bendix gear to engage the flywheel. The problem is the copper contacts inside the solenoid are burned and need to be replaced.

You can buy the contacts and plunger new from Nations Starter and Alternator for about 30 - 35 bucks. Much cheaper than hundreds for a rebuilt POS from Autozone or big bucks from the dealer.

https://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/Starter-Rebuild-Kits-s/37.htm

Check this video for rebuilding the solenoid on the starter. The biggest issue with the V6 Engine and 4X4 is you have to take the starter out through the drivers wheel well area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwo...rce_ve_path=MTM5MTE3LDI4NjY2&feature=emb_logo

I rebuilt my starter solenoid for 30 bucks and 45 minutes in my driveway.

GilbertOz, b_r_o, Torspd and 2 others like this.
  5. Sep 29, 2023 at 4:54 PM
    tak1313

tak1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base 2WD
    This - when it DOESN'T start, do you hear a "click?"

6. Sep 29, 2023 at 8:04 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    When you have a bad connection or a bad ground you may also hear the click. The thing is check the connections as stated above first. Doesn’t take long and doesnt cost anything. If everything is ok then check out the solenoid.

b_r_o likes this.
  7. Sep 30, 2023 at 10:49 AM
    capecodtaco

capecodtaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica SR5
    Stock
    No. There is no click. I just twist the key as normal and then am like huh it didn't start that's weird. Turn the key the second time and Vroom.

8. Sep 30, 2023 at 11:44 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    From what you describe it doesn’t sound like the starter or solenoid or the connections under the hood although I’d still check that. I’m guessing possibly a problem with the ignition switch.

9. Sep 30, 2023 at 12:37 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    My first guess would be clutch switch or neutral switch depending if you have manual or auto trans. Still I'd look at the battery first. If you don't own a battery brush, go buy one. Pick up some noco corrosion prevention felt pads while you're there. Noco makes good ones. Battery posts become oxidized, more so if you aren't keeping them acid free. They'll look dark or black. Once you have that cleaned or if it's already clean, then look at the switch or relay the switch controls.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKUTR0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I chased an intermittent no start for a long time. Ended up with clutch switch bypassed because it failed testing and I prefer no stomp to start, new battery because the old one was fading, finally the starter contacts as Mr. Jimmyh recommends.

Products Discussed in

To Top