1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starter motor intermittent failure, one more time please?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Caslon, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Apr 9, 2020 at 4:13 PM
    jbaker1976

jbaker1976 It's always Taco Tuesday

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR
    Camper shell with side windoors and bed slider, JL Audio Component Door Speakers, JL Audio Stealth box, Grill Craft Grill, Husky floor liners, Hondo Radio knobs, Predator steps, Remote Start, Pop N Lock, etc...
    If your arms can't reach that far down to the starter then hopefully you can reach in your back pocket for some cash to pay a mechanic.

2. Apr 9, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    Caslon

Caslon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Base Cab. 2 whl drive. 5 speed
    Weather permitting or the situation, I'm resigned to keeping a broom handle on hand when it happens again. I'll poke and prod the solenoid area and starter and see if the starter cranks. If it does, I'll be relieved that I've determined I need to replace the starter motor, solenoid and all. Paying a garage to clean the contacts or such will require enough labor cost to get at it, that that money would be better spent to install a new starter motor. I'll shit a brick if I do that and a newly bought starter does the same thing (intermittent non-start). Keep in mind I can no longer DIY. Lack of place to do it, lack of jacks, etc.

Just curious...if a new starter motor needs to be returned, what are the symptoms of that? Does it just refuse to crank? Does it crank weak? Does it intermittently not work but sometimes does? Also if I may...what are the opinions here about buying a refurbished starter? A dice roll just like anything else?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  3. Apr 10, 2020 at 3:24 AM
    six5crèéd

six5crèéd Go fish.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce, or Crèéd, neither is correct.
    Southern Virginia
    I’ve bought rebuilt starters before and had decent luck with them. If it’s pretty simple to change you can try one. If it’s a bear to change buy a new brand name one.

4. Apr 10, 2020 at 4:35 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    That can go the other way in the last few years I had so many bad reman starters and alternators I now buy the rebuilt ones from my dealer.

OP ask the shop doing the work what there policy is replacing rebuilt starters that fail most all will charge removal and install labor again that is seldom covered by the parts vendor or rebuilder so know going in.

Best ofLuck

Products Discussed in

To Top