1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

starter questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tbell5, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Jul 8, 2010 at 5:46 AM
    Tbell5

Tbell5 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD XCAB
    As some of you may have read my stock starter went after 6 years last night. I am going to be pulling it out to replace. When I owned my TJ I pulled the bad starter and went to my local auto store and got a rebuilt starter. What are your thoughts on rebuilt vs new? I've heard people talk about green machine starters, are they really necessary?

I'm leaning towards a rebuilt

Thanks

2. Jul 8, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    (Traded-in) 06 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4
    K&N Intake, Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars/sliders/running boards, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Running Board/Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box (12V socket, voltage and current gauges), DIY Internal Lighting (coming soon), Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    If they're similar in price, go new. Otherwise, rebuilts are just as good. Most of the time, when a starter or alternator is rebuilt, the coils are still good, they just replace the internal items that wear out.

If you really want to have some fun, you can probably find a rebuild kit and do it yourself :D

3. Jul 8, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    jesseunvoas

jesseunvoas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Swift Current, Sask, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT
    3" Ready Lift Super 80 Muffler AFE Stage 2 CAI Pro Dry Filter OEM Roof Rack RollBAK Tonneau Cover Cooper AT3 Tires Kakays On The Roof
    rebuilds are just as good usually i rebuild my own starters just a new solenoid, brushes and bearings

4. Jul 8, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    Tbell5

Tbell5 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD XCAB
    I am glad to hear rebuilds are okay. I will have to price them both out after work. That wll be the deciding factor.

Thanks

To Top