1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starter troubles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EricT, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Aug 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    EricT

EricT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    Hi all-

I have an 09 v6 trd sport double cab shortbed 4x. Recently it's had some issues starting. Intermittent, but present. A few times when starting, the starter wouldn't let go after I stopped pushing the key in, and it was grinding to the point of killing the motor. This happened twice, then I was real careful to pull the key back the instant it started - no problem.

Yesterday, it started but wouldn't keep running. RPMs dropped and engine died, again twice. Third time I put a little gas pedal in it to keep the RPMs up, and once I release the gas pedal, the engine stayed running.

Engine has a touch over 12k miles on it. Only modifications to the engine that might affect this - I have a viper 5902 alarm/remote starter, and I have an AFE pro-s dry air filter. I also did a custom cabin air filter, not sure if that would matter in the least. Changed over to synthetic at 2k miles, theres a little under 4k miles on the current batch of mobile 1 that's in the engine now.

The remote starter works perfectly every time, no issues there.

Any thoughts as far as what I can or even should look into? I admit, sadly, the only routine maint to date has been oil changes - I'm due to run to the dealership to have them spec it out for the 4th leaf TSB, should I have them run some tests? And yeah, I know I need to get some grease and do up the 4x components, I've been bad there.

Concerned for the engine. Also just before someone asks, oil levels look good.

Thanks for any input!

2. Aug 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Its a 09 under warrentee, take it in to get looked at

I would be worried about the remote starter, who did the install?
    why would the remote work fine, and not the key???

Sounds like something went wrong in the install,
    also check the the wires on the remote control unit, they hung my wiring over a piece of metal edge which would of rubbed and possibily shorted if left alone.
    i put some plastic over the metal edge to prevent chaffing and wire damage

3. Aug 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    EricT

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I'm in good with the shop that put in the starter - kind of one of their team trucks for audio shows now, so they'll look at it.

The remote starter works perfectly though - manual starting is goofy.

Kind of seems like the engine is having a tough time, rather than the remote start having anything going on. But I don't know, that one time the starter kept going after I released the key... hmm...

Gonna have the alarm shop check it out before the dealer. They might be able to magnusson/moss me on this one (rightfully so) and I don't want that on my service record.

4. Aug 19, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    EricT

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Talked to my audio guys... since the remote start works perfect, seems like its either the ignition or the starter. Gonna keep an eye on this, I'll get an appointment next week for the TSB review and see if I have anything else to discuss by then.

5. Aug 19, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    sounds like the starter is going bad...I'm wondering if its just the solenoid that maybe going bad and not the starter at all...hhhmmm...

is the wire leading down to the started hot to touch?

6. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    EricT

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    So ah.... which wire would that be? I haven't even had to locate the starter as of yet.

Also, since its an intermittent prob, anything I can have the dealership check?

Or check myself, preferably. When would this wire get hot - just after starting, while running?

Thanks for giving me some directions to look in.

7. Aug 19, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    I would honestly let the stealership take a look at it since its still under warranty...

but if you want to check the starter yourself its really easy to get to...its on the driver hand side behind the plastic/rubber lining between the engine compartment and the driver side wheel well...you will have to disconnect the steering yoke and the starter is located directly to the left/under it...:D the power wire is located on the bottom right hand side of the starter...

if the solenoid has gone bad as soon as your turn the key the wire would get hot to touch cause its pulling power whether or not the ignition is in the off and/or on position...

here's a diagram for better visuals... <-click for link

I hope that info. can help you out bro...you know how to get a hold of me if you need more diagrams/info...

if you want to test the voltage rating for the starter here's a good <-click for link

Products Discussed in

To Top