1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting from Scratch

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by AVGeek, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Jul 17, 2020 at 3:50 PM
    AVGeek

AVGeek [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boulder City NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Barcelona Red Reg Cab 4WD
    Hi everyone, new member here with a new to me 2011 Regular Cab Base 4x4. As the title says, I am starting completely from scratch with this build up. Right now, I am working on determining what I want to do in order to plan for my aux fuse panel (stereo updates are set, working on lighting now).

Based on what I had installed on my previous truck (2005 Ford F-250), I want to add the following:

Fog Lights (would prefer amber LED)
    Hidden bumper light (planning on keeping the bumper stock, although the C4 Fab Lo Pro Winch bumper is tempting)

I am also planning on an LEER DCU 26" Shell, which brings up the following:
    Hood mount Ditch lights or light bar mounted to the front of the shell
    Loading light (I have a small LED light bar I may use, or I may use flush mount floods above the double doors)

For the fogs, bumper bar and the ditch or shell mount LED bar, the plan is to use stock style switches in the 3 blanks on the dash. I will also be wiring the fuse block in such a way that these lights won't turn on unless the key is on (I've had auto headlights on my last vehicles for long enough now that I'm not in the habit of turning lights on or off). I am also considering wiring the fogs to turn on with the ignition (DRLs), stay on with low beams, but switch off when engaging high beams (factory-style).

I'll be running a constant power circuit to the bed for the shell and loading lights, with switches for the in the shell. I may also install some sort of isolator/auto switch to keep from draining the battery accidentally. The shell will have two lights in it, with door switches (one for the tool box, and one for the rear doors), and if not equipped from the factory, I will be modifying the overhead light to be switchable from inside the shell, even with the rear doors closed.

So here is where I need some input:
    Every fog light LED kit I have found so far looks to be an upgrade for replacing factory lights, so I am looking for a kit that includes the wiring harness for a fresh install. I also want to make sure these are fully DOT compliant for road use. I have read through some of the fog light sticky thread here, but didn't see all my needs addressed there.

I'm torn between ditch lights and mounting lights to the front of the shell. On my Ford, I had a 50" curved light bar above the windshield, but aiming it to alleviate the whistle at highway speeds had most of the light bouncing off of the hood, effectively blinding me. Most of my use will be dusty desert conditions, and I anticipate that my use of these lights may be minimal depending on the light output of the fogs and bumper LED. I also won't be doing high speed blasts across the desert, but want more light for any nighttime cruises away from camp. Since this truck is also my daily driver, any noise issues caused by the lights (and mounting locations) is also a factor for me.

TIA!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  2. Aug 13, 2020 at 12:44 PM
    Ralf

Ralf Summit Expedition Trucks Ltd.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralf
    Fort McMurray, AB
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off-Road
    ARB Summit Bar Safari Snorkel
    I'm going to do my best to help you with this. Do you have a picture of your truck? Better yet, a picture with the cap installed. I've got some ideas to making this all work, and making it a clean as possible install for you.

So start with the pictures of the truck, and then we'll go from there.

3. Aug 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    AVGeek

AVGeek [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boulder City NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Barcelona Red Reg Cab 4WD
    So I've been working through this a bit since I posted this thread. I've attached the current electrical plan. For forward lighting, I'll be adding fogs, a hidden bumper LED and most likely a set of 6" round KC LED spot lights (modern tech with a throwback look). The plan will be to mount the 6" spots to the shell and aimed to avoid any major bounce from the hood. I may still change these out to a single LED bar, but given the inspiration behind the vision, I prefer the old school look with modern tech. I also think I'll have less noise issues than a bar.

I haven't ordered the shell yet but will most likely go with the Leer DCC 26" model. I already have an LED light for the loading light, and once I decide on my rear bumper (the stock one has quite a bit of rust underneath), I'll add some extra reverse lights.

The LVD is the Blue Sea Low Voltage Disconnect switch, since I don't want to drain down my battery to where I can't start it. I also don't expect to camp in the back of the truck (I'm planning on converting a cargo trailer to a tiny toy hauler), but added the 12v and USB outlets because they come on the switch panel I will probably get. I also plan on using the driver's side rear pocket as my electrical junction box.

And as far as the inspiration behind the name on the diagram...it's from the 70's TV show Emergency. It's also a bit of a tribute to my dad, who passed earlier this year, and was a firefighter for LAFD for 31 years. While I won't be making it look like an actual squad, the red color and standard cab remind me of the old Dodge rescue vehicle, and adding a commercial style shell sealed the deal for me...so mashing up Tacoma and Squad 51 became Taco 51! It also fits the on vanity plate I plan on getting for it...

Attached Files:

Products Discussed in

To Top