1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by okii, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Oct 20, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    okii

okii [OP] New Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 5spd
    Hello-

I have a 96 [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]tacoma[/COLOR][/COLOR] (v4) 5 speed with about 94k miles. Recently, I have been having problems with starting the car. Sometimes when I turn the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]ignition[/COLOR][/COLOR] the car will not start. There is no clicking sound or sound of the engine trying to turn over. After a couple of tries though, it will eventually start. Yesterday was different. I started the car and it started up, but there was an additional noise that I'd never heard before. I turned the engine off but the car continued to make a noise as if the engine was trying to turn over. I pulled the key out of the ignition, but the noise continued. I finally put the key back in, turned it and the engine started again with the same noise. After turning the engine off and on again a couple more times, I had the engine running and just let it continue to make this noise. Eventually after letting the car run in neutral for awhile, the sound finally stopped on its own. I think there is a problem with the ignition system. I'm not sure if it's the ignition coil, ignition module, ignition switch, starter, etc. Anyone have a recommendation on what could be (or not be the cause)? The radio, lights, etc all seem to be working, so I don't think it's the alternator or battery.

Thanks

2. Oct 20, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    sounds like your starter stayed engaged.

Poss stuck solenoid
    Get it looked at before you start frying wires.

Once it locks in the only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. You were lucky..

3. Oct 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    ^ Pull your starter and have it checked at you local advanced for free.

Products Discussed in

To Top