1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Steviedee, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jan 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    Steviedee

Steviedee [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oklahoma/Alabama
    Vehicle:
    1998 4x4 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder
    My husband recently purchased a used 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4 clyinder 4x4...First issue is you can not touch the accelerator or it will NOT start. Once the truck is started, say you drive 5 miles shut truck off and go in the store, come out 10 minutes later:p...TRUCK WON'T START,:mad: it will try,:confused: which is going to ruin the starter:eek:...someone please help us figure this out, we would be so appreciative!:)

2. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    Steviedee

Steviedee [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oklahoma/Alabama
    Vehicle:
    1998 4x4 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder
    Fuel filter and cataletic convertor(sp) have both been changed with in the last month, problem still occurring. Idles fine...WHEN you can get it started...lol Cranks good when cold, but when it gets hot it will not crank.

3. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    How many miles are on the Tacoma?

I am not that familiar with the Tacoma yet but I would at least clean the throttle body, mass flow air sensor, install new plugs and plug wires.

I am leaning with Nathan and would do the normal maintenance items first.

Also check your battery ground.

4. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Look into cleaning the throttle body and the IAC (Idle Air Control valve). The IAC will be under the throttle body. And give the MAF a good cleaning but be carefull with it. It's expensive and fragile. Use MAF cleaner and make sure it is disconnected when you clean it. (Spray with cleaner and let dry).

IAC Throttle body MAF

5. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Ben:
    Do you ever use a Q-Tip to gently wipe the MAF cleaner off?

On my GM 3800 that is a normal practise but you need to be super carefull.

6. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    If my truck were doing that, I would pull the spark plugs and see what shape they're in. Unless you know before you bought it that the plugs were new. Use this: http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

I was doing this to my 1997 the other day. Fairly certain the gap is 0.031 on the 4-cyl, which could definitely be off by now if the plugs are overdue for change. I'd be leaning that direction rather than a fuel line issue if it starts occasionally...or maybe not now that I'm reading it idles fine when it starts...Either way, something worth checking.

What kind of wrench turning can ya'll do? If you take it in for some kind of major tuneup, which it may need, they will do your plugs, fluids, inspect fuel/brake lines, probably check the timing chain, belts, air filter, among other things. Gonna cost around $400. If you don't want to/can't do all that yourself, probably worth taking it in for the peace of mind alone, plus they will be able to say for sure what's behind the starting issue.

With these types of issues, even the most skilled mechanic can't say for sure what's happening without getting their hands on the truck. If you don't have a check engine light, basically gotta take it to someone (shop/friend) or start eliminating possible causes one at a time.

7. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Nope. The MAF cleaner evaporates very quickly, like electronic contact cleaner. It basically dissolves and flushes residue off of the heating element and IAT sensor.

8. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    I think most people will agree, that's a BAD IDEA. Spend $8 on some MAF/electrical contact spray cleaner. Won't leave a residue. If you're arm spazzes out while you're physically wiping that sensor, you are out $150. You'll find other uses for it.

9. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    THX I have to do a 30K maintenance next month so I am getting ready.

I usually remove the TB and use a toothbrush and TB cleaner. On the GM 3800 it is easy and produces great results.

10. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Only $150 is not too bad. LOL The GM is usually around $300. At the JY it is about $15 if you can find one.

Products Discussed in

To Top