1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting to question safety...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dave91, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Apr 28, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    I was running my truck with only 2.5" of lift with stock control arms and it used to wander all over the road. You'll be surprised what more caster will do for the way it drives. My caster is now at about 3* and it tracks straight and can be driven with one finger and this is with 285/75/16 tires. I know what you are talking about because it's probably what my truck used to feel like. The only bad thing that can happen is if you wander out of your lane lol.
    You can get away with stock UCA's but you're getting close to it being out of alignment spec or closer to the bad end of the spec.

2. Apr 28, 2015 at 6:08 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Already at the bad end...

I'm at 1.6 and it wanders with 265s and the offset wheels. That's 2.5 lift on the stock UCAs. I hate to think how bad it is at 3 inches of lift.

3. Apr 28, 2015 at 6:17 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    By this, I meant stock take off wheels

4. Apr 28, 2015 at 6:28 PM
    dave91

dave91 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    quebec
    I wanted to get an alignment but the guy at my garage basically told me it was useless because of our awful Quebec roads! One pot hole and itll be back to the way it is... i guess an alignment couldn't do any harm.
    I just lowered all 4 tires to 45psi, i will see if it helps and if not, will start going through the other recommendations. Thanks a lot for all the help

5. Apr 28, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Check your wheel bearings. Tighten them to spec and see if truck wanders after that. People start looking at everything else, but wierd wandering usually end up for me to be lose wheel bearings. If they bad they will completely go out on you after re tightening them.

6. Apr 28, 2015 at 7:21 PM
    high n mighty

high n mighty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oshawa Ontario
    Vehicle:
    01 camo taco
    Find a new garage!

7. Apr 28, 2015 at 7:27 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    That's a bunch of bullshit. I marked my alignment bolts to make sure they didn't move and they stayed put for a couple years now and several offroading trips. You need an alignment to figure out what your problem is. You'll get crappy tire wear with a crappy alignment.

8. Apr 29, 2015 at 6:44 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    You won't get proper alignment with 3" lift and stock UCAs. Just sayin'.

9. Apr 29, 2015 at 5:32 PM
    dave91

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    quebec
    so youre saying i either just get used to it or i get new UCAs?

10. Apr 29, 2015 at 5:46 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Yup, your caster will be too low with 3" of lift. So yeah, if you don't get UCA's that correct your caster then you will probably have to get used to the wandering. And you won't know how bad your alignment is until you get one.

11. Apr 29, 2015 at 5:59 PM
    sevignyjoe

sevignyjoe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Lyme Ct
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd sport
    yea for caster measurement if u run like 2.5 deg should be good .

12. Apr 29, 2015 at 6:53 PM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Door Ding is 100% right

13. Apr 29, 2015 at 8:43 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Yes. You or someone else could be killed or maimed.

14. Apr 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    That brings back memories doording. Back in the late 70s the State Patrol brought a similar 1960s film and slide show into our drivers ed class. The old films they showed in health class weren't much better :)

15. Apr 30, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    dave91

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    quebec
    I'm not even going to watch that video because i know it'll play with my mind! haha
    I called a new garage today, this guy seems to know more about lifted trucks.
    he said i can bring it in early next week and hes gona check everything out for me.. Hopefully he can figure out the problem!
    I lowered my tires to 45psi and i have to admit, it for sure helped!
    But i do still find my steering wheel turns when i hit a bump. i dont swerve as much though... the ride is much smoother too.
    At 65psi, the ride was pretty rough! My dad got in my truck for the first time in a while and he couldnt believe how rough it was.

16. Apr 30, 2015 at 9:00 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    65PSI :eek::eek::eek:

Even 45 seems high.

I run 32 psi in my 285/70R17 LT load range E tires.

The amount of air you need in the tires is determined by the weight of the truck, not the "maximum" pressure on the sidewall.

17. Apr 30, 2015 at 9:01 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Take door ding's advice and have everything checked out. Then have it aligned. Shoot for 0 toe, 0 camber, and as high of caster as the shop can get. Then see how it feels, before blowing more money on UCAs.

18. May 1, 2015 at 3:47 AM
    dave91

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    quebec
    Will take your advice!
    Thanks

19. May 1, 2015 at 3:49 AM
    dave91

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    quebec
    So you think i should go down even more?
    By the way... how does tire pressure effect gas mileage? Would i of been burning more gas being at 65psi?

20. May 1, 2015 at 8:03 AM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    No, it just about matches what Toyota recommends. See below.

Your tire is a very different size from his. Load inflation tables differ significantly for different size tires.

For your tires, translating the recommended P265/70R16 TRD OR Rugged Fail placard information of 29 front and 32 rear we get recommended pressures for your LT285/70R17 of 33 and 35 PSI.

Translating the Baja/Pro LT265/70R16 placard information of 46 front and rear we get a recommended pressure for your tires of 37 PSI front and rear.

So you are running a bit low from what the placard would likely say if Toyota put your tires on from the factory. And in fact LT tires don't even have inflation tables below 35 PSI.

But that's fine really, you probably did a chalk test to come up with your pressure (I hope) and have checked your cold to hot pressure rise (I hope) and it wasn't much more than 4 PSI and you are happy with your ride. If that's all true then 32 PSI is the number for you. But it isn't the number for the OP who has a very different sized tire with a rather different load inflation table.

Last part definitely, first part yes and no. Indeed as you put more load on the tire you should put more air in it and it would be really unusual for that to come anywhere close to the maximum written on the sidewall. But the actual recommended inflation rarely matches the axle load on the load inflation table for the tire. Usually the recommended pressure puts the load for the tire quite a bit above what the actual load is. The manufacturer considers the tire inflation in the ride comfort and handling of the vehicle and accounts for likely loads and maximum driving speeds along with fuel efficiency and tread wear. So that doesn't really give one "correct" pressure but rather a range of pressures with different trade offs in all the parameters mentioned.

The recommendation for determining tire pressure for a different sized tire then is to take the tire pressure from the manufacturer (what is on the door placard) and look up what the rated load for that tire is at that pressure. Then go to the load pressure curve for the new tire size and find what pressure is required for that load. Again - this is a starting point and not gospel but it is a good sanity check for whether you are way over or under inflated. Adjust from there with chalk test, pressure rise test, handling and so forth.

You certainly could try that, but probably not down to the 32 PSI that bjmoose is running.

For your tire size of LT275/65R16 if we translate the TRD OR and TRD Pro door placards as I did above for bjmoose we get estimated pressures for you of 40 front and 43 rear if we use the TRD OR placard as a starting point and 45 front and rear if we use the TRD Pro placard as the starting point.

So feel free to go down to 40 psi and see what you think. Getting much lower and you are drifting pretty significantly from what the manufacturer recommends.

As a side note, why is your "correct" pressure so different from bjmoose's? Because your tire size is very different from his. Besides the difference in rim size bjmoose's tire is wider than yours which requires less pressure for a given load compared to narrower and his aspect is taller than yours which also requires less pressure for a given load.

Tire load inflation curves are kind of hard to come by as they are part of a standard that is sold for around $400 and copyright protected. But some tire manufacturers publish excerpts from that standard for some of their tire sizes. If you spend time looking at those you'll see that:
    • Inflation tables for LT and P are very different, for the same size tire LT requires much higher pressures
    • Larger tires require less pressure for a given load
    • The differences between common sizes on this board of LT tires is over 5 psi
    • The difference between P and LT can be more than 15 psi
    So taking someone's recommend pressure isn't a good idea unless they are running the same type (LT or P) as you in a very close size.

In general the higher the tire pressure the better the gas mileage. Unlikely you were burning more gas at 65 psi, but you can burn more if significantly under inflated (so you probably were at 25 psi).

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    EDDO likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top