1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting Trouble

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Gr8WhiteTaco, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Feb 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    Gr8WhiteTaco

Gr8WhiteTaco [OP] bishes love my haircut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD 02 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    2005 Mazda 3S hatchback
    Hey my truck is having some starting trouble every once in awhile. I don't think its the battery. I took the intake off yesterday, and the MAF sensor is kinda dirty so maybe thats it. The truck will start though, its just every once in awhile that it doesn't. Thanks for any help guys!

2. Feb 6, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    intense

intense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD '07
    ASE Dry, Carbon filter removed, Grillcraft, 5100's. Low Pro Ameriweld box black powder. Tint / Vent Visors. Textured Black skid plate. Husky Liners. Design Seat Covers
    Yea, got the same problem, turns over too much 6 or 7 flywheel turns. Had a '99 done the same thing.

3. Feb 6, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    I have a 2010, 4L. the first month or so I never noticed a problem. It's about 3 months old now and it seems that a couple of times a week I go to start it and it tends to turn over long enough ( several seconds compared to normal) that I worry about flooding.
    I don't apply any gas when starting whether the temps are warm or cold. It has happened when the temps are warmer (in my area) around 50-60 degrees. Once it spins over for a couple of seconds I must then depress the throttle fully to prevent flooding and usually starts up after a couple of seconds.
    I was going to check for TSB's but figured this might be a better place to start. Ken

4. Feb 7, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    Burt

Burt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Britt
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab 4x4 2.7L SR5
    TuckR2, Mine does the same. Some times it seems to spin too long before starting. Let me know if you find anything.

5. Feb 7, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.

Will do.
    I think another visit to the dealer- say in about a month or so to see if they have anything on this issue. I think the dealers are gonna be busy for a while.
    Ken:cool:

6. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    intense

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD '07
    ASE Dry, Carbon filter removed, Grillcraft, 5100's. Low Pro Ameriweld box black powder. Tint / Vent Visors. Textured Black skid plate. Husky Liners. Design Seat Covers
    Been waiting and letting seat belt chime 3 times and hit it ! seems to start quicker as in a fuel pressure prime, has been working great, give a try !

7. Feb 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    Mine does the same thing only after it has been running for a while. And probably every 10 or so starts. Sounds horrible but I dont have the time or money to fix it lol

8. Feb 8, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    RWS_350MAG

RWS_350MAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    Toytec Ultimate lift, Tailgate anti-theft mod, 265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires on stock rims, Lakeland Predator Cap, Rear seat headrests removed, Husky Floorliners
    My '10 does the same thing, on occasion. I just got into the habit of turning the key to on for a few seconds, then going to start. I think there may be an issue with the fuel system losing pressure after sitting for a while.
    No big deal really, as long as the truck starts.

9. Feb 9, 2010 at 5:05 AM
    Burt

Burt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Britt
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab 4x4 2.7L SR5
    Sounds good will try and see if this helps.

10. Feb 9, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:

Well, I have already done the seat belt/chime disable but I will try turning the key on and wait a couple of seconds to see if this is the fix. This morning took 3 times before she started and then had to depress the gas fully to prevent flooding. thanks

11. Feb 9, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    intense

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD '07

Exactly right with the key turned on ! then, after the 3rd chime engage starter, works for mine, doesn't mean it will work for yours, also, i prefer BP gas, and blame lots of it on the Ethanol content :cool:

12. Mar 6, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    tacofred

tacofred Member

Member:
    First Name:
    fred
    salt lake city
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    3inlift,uni chip,trd seatcover,volant cold air with sweepermagniflowexhaust
    my truck has been doing the samething drives me nuts that and the driveline makes me want to get an 85 and sell the new one

Products Discussed in

To Top