1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting Troubles, Help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BassMaster06, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Aug 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 [OP] VA ○ ES ○ SC

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ritter, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB
    3" OME w/ Dakars, LR UCAs, 285/75/16 Duratracs, SS extended brake lines, UWS low pro, torn CV boots
    Whats up, I currently have a newer '06 tacoma, but I also own a '95 tacoma. The '95 is a regular cab 4x4 2.7 L with~200k miles on it. Recently its been givin me a lot of trouble. Occasionally, for no apparent reason it won't start. I can be driving it all day, starting it up repeatedly, and then out of the blue it won't start up (usually with a clicking noise, then fades to nothing when turning the key). I've managed to get it started by popping the hood and kinda jiggling the wires on the battery, and that usually fixes the issue. But this has been a reoccurring pattern, almost seems to happen when the truck is warm. The battery is good, I just replaced the terminal hook ups for all the wires. I took it to my local mechanic, but he can't figure out what it is, seeing as how anytime i take it somewhere, I can't replicate the problem. Anyone else have this problem? or have suggestions on what to check? Thanks

2. Aug 12, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Check the ground wire on the battery. Make sure its got a secure mount.

3. Aug 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    so ur saying it cranks with a clicking noise? or just one click when u turn the key?

4. Aug 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    You've got some bad connections, could be the thick ground cable from batt. to ground connection on frame etc; Or could be loose connection from positive cable to connection points, you need to check & correct all you find loose & look for excessive corrosion around cable connection points..

& you a bass fisherman ?

Remember this fish caught in CA. ? (although disqualified)

WORLD RECORD BASS.jpg

5. Aug 12, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ritter, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB
    3" OME w/ Dakars, LR UCAs, 285/75/16 Duratracs, SS extended brake lines, UWS low pro, torn CV boots
    When it decides to act up, I go to turn the key, and I'll hear a click or several clicks, withouth the engine cranking. After that I can turn the key all I want with no response at all. No lights, no nothin'. I agree that is a wiring issue, but having trouble locating the problem.

6. Aug 12, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ritter, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB
    yeah that bass was ridiculous....didn't they disqualify because the fella snagged it somehow? dagger

7. Aug 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    its gotta be a bad connection at the battery or ground

8. Aug 12, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Yep ripped her right off the nest !!

(or close by seeing how the males come in & stand guard after the spawn )

& I know its a pain in the ass tracing down ANY kind of eletrical issue.
    You either find it pretty quick or bring your lunch 'cause its going to take all day ...Good Luck man & if you can't find it ...Fuck it go Fishin' :D:D

9. Aug 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Bumper, CBI Sliders, Icon Coilovers, BudBuilt Skids, aFe Intake, Icon VS Rear Shocks, Timbren Bumpstops, All-Pro UCAs, JDM Steering Wheel, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps
    Either a bad connection or a failing starter motor. I believe the click you hear is the starter solenoid engaging. However, the starter motor then refuses to turn. How many times do you start the engine per day? The starter motor may have simply reached end-of-life.

10. Aug 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Toyota starters are pretty well known for wearing out the contacts in the solenoid. The rest of the starter is pretty durable. You may be able to pull the starter, check the contacts. If you need contacts, the dealer should be able to sell them to you with the numbers off the starter.

To Top