1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starting Welding

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by ClemsonTacoma, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jun 7, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
  2. Jun 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Honestly, I would look for a better brand since I cant even tell what that one is. Will you be welding indoors? If so, stay away from flux core and get a bottle of gas, the welds will be much cleaner.

Look for a miller 140 (the one we have), a hobart, or a lincoln. You will be much happier.

3. Jun 7, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    Stay away from it. those little cheap welders are more a pain in the ass. If you want to start welding go ahead and to the home depot and get yourself the lincoln welder that has the option to weld with gas CO2 mix. this is the best way to go. It's what i have and make motorcycle frames and all kinds of stuff. My first trade was welding and have used all kind of machines, so I know these welders. really any comparable welder around $500.00 bucks is good. Stick to these brands, Lincoln, Miller & Hobart. they all make nice small gas-able welders.

4. Jun 7, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    Yeah I agree with getting a better one. That one said it had 10% duty cycle, that means you weld one minute and wait nine to let the welder cool down. I would get a welder with a higher duty cycle.

5. Jun 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    thanks for the suggestion, i was just thinking about getting this cheep one and messing around since most of my money will be going towards starting a new business

6. Jun 7, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I started recently too and picked up a Hobart Handler 140. Great little box and so far it's done a great job on everything I've welded.

My welding has been all outdoors so I'm using flux core. A bit sloppy but it works for now. The 140 came with everything needed (except the bottle, of course) for gas shield welding, so that'll be a convenient switch when I have room to do stuff indoors.

Once you get started you're gonna have a lot of fun welding. Incredibly useful skill to have. :)

7. Jun 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    It comes with a welding mask? :eek:
    Looks like a pair of cutting goggles too me :confused:

WTF are those guys selling it thinking of other then a nice future case of skin cancer.

Protect the skin from welding rays and always wear a hood.

8. Jun 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    seriously. You will get a nice sun burn in no time with those things. To the OP, make sure you invest in a nice welding hood with auto dimming. They are soooo nice!

9. Jun 7, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I went through the same thing about 10 years ago and I'm glad I waited. I bought a Lincoln welder and played around with flux core. It's messy hard to do. I bought the regulator and a bottle and it's so much easier and cleaner. If you ever plan on welding sheet metal or anything that will show you will want the gas or you will be grinding little boogers off of everything. Also, that welder doesn't handle real thin wire so welding any sheet metal with it will be pointless.

That looks like one of those cheap Harbor Frieght welders to me. Chicago Electric or something like that. I'd hate to try and find parts for it in the future.

10. Jun 7, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    yeah I can get a good deal on an auto dimming mask from my friends dad, I definitely wouldn't want to cheep out on safety

11. Jun 7, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
  12. Jun 7, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
  13. Jul 2, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    dgr540

dgr540 I've got the FUNK

Member:
    Friendswood, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Wrangler Unlimited
    XDs Trail grappler 35x12.5x18 Winch 8K lbs Front bumper 4in Lift
  14. Jul 2, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    toy4whatever

toy4whatever Member

Member:
    Some of the cheaper welders are actually a great starting point if you don't have the funds for a name brand. I started off welding with a Lincoln 225 stick back in the day. My first welder that I bought was a Clarke 180. It’s a 220v welder that held up great for my smaller projects. Once I started making bumpers I quickly realized I needed a new welder. One thing to look at is the duty cycle of the welder. If you’re just doing small projects and welding a little at a time then a lower duty cycle will work. Also take into consideration how thick the metal will be. An 115v unit is good for up to 1/4" max. Welding with flux core is also a good starting point. Once you get good with it your welds will look professional when you get a bottle.
    I would check out pirate4x4.com and the tool vender section. You can get a great deal and warranty for a cheaper welder like Longevity. I have one of their plasma cutters and I'm very pleased so far.

Products Discussed in

To Top