1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steel TPMS work in Factory Alum Wheels or not?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by m0brando, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    m0brando

m0brando [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Missouri
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport 4WD
    Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered but I kept finding conflicting answers. I have 2007 factory 16" steel wheels with TPMS. I have found 2007 factory aluminum 16" wheels to upgrade to but the seller wants to keep the TPMS from them for future wheels. Will my steel TPMS work in the aluminum wheels? I've seen a lot of no's but also some yes you can make it work threads. Which is correct and what is involved in making it work?

thanks!

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    billyjoe

billyjoe Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    I've read several posts where owners claim they just flipped their "Steel Rim" TPMS sensors 180 degrees and they worked just fine for the "TRD Alloys"...

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 9:50 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
  4. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    gr8wrk

gr8wrk Member

Member:
    I have to be in So. MO in a couple weeks. Want to sell your steel wheels, and if so how much?

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    on my 09, the steel sensors woud not fit in the TRD alloy wheels. They said they could flip them around. I said no....I put them inside of a wheelbarrow tire and bolted it to the bottom of my truck. No problem with a light on the dash now.

6. Mar 16, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    m0brando

m0brando [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Missouri
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport 4WD
    Any reason you didn't want them flipped around? Where did you mount the wheelbarrow tire to? Cool idea! Might use it in my Jeep too!

7. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    some folks on here said they might break when mounting or later. I found out what they wanted for replacements if broken and decided against it. I mounted the weel beteeen my back bumper and spire tire. Do a search on wheel sensors and you will see quite a few threads on different fixes. One of them has pictures of where to mount the wheelbarrow tire.:D

8. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    Flynn Diesel

Flynn Diesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    •BFG AT KO 285/70/17, XD Addict 17x9, Light Racing UCA’s, Billstein 5100’s, OME 885’s, Toytec AAL, Seat Belt warning disable, Grill Craft Black MX Upper & Lower Grill, VisionX 55/65 watt xenon Low/High Beam lights. FOG Light only Mod. Tailgate theft prevention mod. Wet Okole armrest mod. Redline Hood Struts, Weathertech floor liners. AMP Bed Extender. Wet Okole Seat Covers. Pioneer P4200DVD
    I had mine removed from my stock steel wheels and put in my XD Addicts. Yes they will work but you do have to flip them over. If you ever have to get the tire removed from the wheel you just need to remember to tell them that they are upside down, otherwise they will break them off. Basically they just push the stem inside the tire prior to removing. Also if you ever get a flat while driving, chances are you will break it. For what they cost, I'll take my chances for now. Why spend the money when they might never break.

To Top