1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering bump/wheel jerk

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Major, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Oct 11, 2008 at 6:47 PM
    Major

Major [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2009 V-6 Tacoma Crew TRD off-road
    Husky Liners, Predator Running Boards, Undercover, TRD air filter, TRD front skid plate, TRD front brake pads, tint, TRD bed mat, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, chrome grill cover
    I have an 09 TRD off road with a bit over 2,500 miles and today was the first time I had it off road. One thing I noticed when off road was quite a bit of steering bump/wheel jerk (feeling the wheel move side to side when going over terrain). the wheel moves side to side with a slight jerking motion when going over rough terrain. I have driven full size 4X4s before the Tacoma and have never noticed this (at least to this degree) with my previous trucks. I had not noted this on paved roads at any time and it was only when off road that it came to light. Is this normal for the Tacoma or do I possibly have an issue with the steering rack? Thanks

2. Oct 11, 2008 at 6:53 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Its normal. The Tacomas only have about 2.5* of caster, and that translates into "Bump steer" when off roading. Most large 4x4's, i.e. Chevy, Dodge, etc. have mouch more caster. Around 6* and up.

3. Oct 11, 2008 at 6:59 PM
    Major

Major [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2009 V-6 Tacoma Crew TRD off-road
    Husky Liners, Predator Running Boards, Undercover, TRD air filter, TRD front skid plate, TRD front brake pads, tint, TRD bed mat, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, chrome grill cover
    Thanks for the answer. Thought it might be normal as I had not noticed it when on paved roads, but was certainly a different feel off road. This truck sure has some skills off road, very capable and the smaller size is much better than the full size when in tight spots. Had a lot of fun today, should not have waited this long to give it a try off road.

To Top