1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering Column Rattle TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dalsmthme, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jun 24, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    freesample

freesample Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport LB
    Visors, Deflector, Husky Liners, too expsensive for good ones :(
    done in canada yet?

2. Jun 24, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    64Wildcat

64Wildcat Black Jeep of the family

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    Feels firmer, more solid on real bumpy roads, i used to feel it in the steering wheel, but hardly notice anything now.
    As for the highway it felt fine, no wandering.

Denis

3. Jun 28, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    DontPanic

DontPanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Removed the zipties and took ours in to finally get this annoying steering play/rattle on unpaved surfaces dealt with... surprised at the push-back I got from the dealer. Seems they were unable to duplicate the condition in a lap around the parking lot so obviously I'm a nutter and making the whole thing up. Just love how they try to make you feel stupid. I could see them considering giving me the "you should not drive this truck on unpaved surfaces line".
    Finally found a small patch of grass behind the dealer's lot and was able to show them a few "clunks" and they said they'd order the part.

/rant on
    Just wish the dealers were easier to work with :mad:, why does it always have to be difficult? Who benefits? Do they get an award at the end of the year based on how much warranty work they are able to avoid? I would think they would be happy to keep the techs busy and the lights on... or is filling tires with "nitrogen" and other such quackery that much more lucrative. This dealer is actually has fliers on their service counters that advocate detergent "flushing" and air purging the engine with oil changes. On second thought maybe I should not let them wrench on my truck after all.
    /rant off

4. Jun 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    The truth is that they don't make as much per hour on warranty work, because the factory KNOWS how much they are overcharging the customers, and of course the dealers would like to spend their time doing that because it's more profitable.

5. Jun 28, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Has anyone successfully got this done sine the part went on national back order? I was approved for the part to correct the condition but dealer says no part available yet...

6. Jun 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    zanodave

zanodave Well-Known Member

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue
    scaned thru the threads real quick,and I did not see the cost of part. does any one know the cost of the parts?

7. Jul 9, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    TacoVerde

TacoVerde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    URD short shifter, OBX racing pedals and titanium/carbon fiber shift knob, Rear speaker mod, Taco bed mat, Bed extender, taco door sill protectors, Black TRD floormats, AFE stage 2 CAI, Doug Thorley Header and Catback, Glassworks Unlimited front fenders/bedsides, Engage front LT kit,2.5x8 King co's with resi's, dj straps
    took my truck in on the 7th to have it looked at for the tsb. they said my keychain was too loud and took it off to listen better lol but they couldn't hear or duplicate my problem but went ahead and replaced it going on MY word. part came in today and they put it in but i guess there was some fire wall seal my truck needed so i won't get it back till tommorow:(

got this done at claremont toyota fyi for so cal guys

8. Jul 10, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    crazybayman

crazybayman Oh 'eah

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 4.0L V6 Access Cab Standard
    AutoStart, Sirius Satellite Radio, 16x8 Moto Metal 955s, 265/75/16 Duratracs, Fog Lights, Skid plate
    They've ordered the part for mine, getting it installed under warranty when it gets here, should be within a few weeks.

9. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    I just got mine done last tuesday. totally different feel to the steering. Everything feels tighter all the time especially on rough, uneven or washboard roads. The truck is truley a pleasure to drive now...and if anyone in the westchester county ny, or southern CT needs to get a TSB done on a lifted or modded truck, toyota of westport, ct did it with ABSOLUTELY no hassle, problem or even mention of the lift...Finally found a good dealer :)

10. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  11. Jul 10, 2010 at 11:30 PM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    LOLOLOL...

That one made my day!

12. Jul 10, 2010 at 11:48 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I am just about to hit 40k but I will be taking the truck in next week and insist the TSB is performed. I doubt they'll give me any shit, and if they do, i'll just take it to the next step. There is obviously a known issue with the Intermediate Shaft, and if Toyota enjoys repeat customers, they'll fix the issue without putting up a fight.

13. Jul 11, 2010 at 12:44 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Do you know the Canadian TSB # ?

14. Jul 11, 2010 at 5:25 AM
    crazybayman

crazybayman Oh 'eah

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 4.0L V6 Access Cab Standard
    AutoStart, Sirius Satellite Radio, 16x8 Moto Metal 955s, 265/75/16 Duratracs, Fog Lights, Skid plate
    Not of the top of my head. What I did, I brought the US bulletin (attached at the beginning of this thread) into the dealership when I was getting my brake rotors replaced (they had become warped). They looked it up, and sure enough, there was a Canadian bulletin for the same part/issue.

15. Jul 11, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    TacoVerde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    URD short shifter, OBX racing pedals and titanium/carbon fiber shift knob, Rear speaker mod, Taco bed mat, Bed extender, taco door sill protectors, Black TRD floormats, AFE stage 2 CAI, Doug Thorley Header and Catback, Glassworks Unlimited front fenders/bedsides, Engage front LT kit,2.5x8 King co's with resi's, dj straps
    i know right... maybe my keychains why i can't hear the crap stock stereo haha

16. Jul 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I'm sure with my mods I would not be eligible but what else would make this tsb void? By that I guess I mean at what mileage mark is this not valid and is it usable for any year or just the '10?

17. Jul 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    TacoVerde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner

the tsb say some model tacomas from 2005-2010

18. Jul 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I might go buy the part cause I know for sure they are not gonna honor the tsb because I have yet to find a dealership that has for me in the past

19. Jul 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Thanks dude ,

:canada::thumbsup:

20. Jul 12, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    sixonesix

sixonesix Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma DC SB, TRD Offroad 4x4
    Custom Leather Interior/heated seats, Weathertech in and out, Fog Light Mod, Chrome Grill Insert, Waag Rear bush guard, FabTech Front,Lightforce, Snugtop Cap, 5100's @ 1.75
    DENN , any word from Kelowna Toyota on this TSB or part availability. Am in Vernon...Vernon Toyota are bastards!! so deal with Kelowna. I need this done but am beyond the 36, so will be installing myself. Cost of Part.......anyone...

Products Discussed in

To Top