1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering / front suspension rattles on dirt roads / washboard

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Elroyer, May 15, 2013.

1. May 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    Elroyer

Elroyer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5
    My 98 tacoma ( 2.7 4 cyl ) drives like new on the paved roads, but on dirt roads I get lots of rattle in the steering and front suspension. It just had a new OEM steering rack installed 500 mi ago. Shocks are new. What else should I be replacing? Thanks for the help.

2. May 16, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    probably either the bushings in your front end or the steering wheel slip joint. Try jacking the front up and shaking it around. If that's tight, it's probably the slip joint. Is it kinda dodgy going down the road? Like randomly darts left and right? There's a slip joint in the steering column that is supposed to be there to collapse in a hard front collision and not poke through the wheel and impale you. From my understanding it gets sloppy over time and allows some play between the steering rack and the wheel. You have to pull everything apart to get to it and put a little tack weld on it. Big enough to hold everything but still want it to be breakable just in case (otherwise you've ruined the safety feature of the slip joint alltogether). Try searching around here or googling, there's several writeups floating around for the procedure.

3. May 16, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Yea its a pain in the ass but i just deal with it.

4. May 16, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    Be sure to check your upper and lower ball joints for play. If those are rattling, they could have a catastrophic failure. Also, check your steering rack bushings as those tend to get worn and loose. While you're down there I'd check your inner and outer tie rod ends too. They can cause a rattle.

Beyond that, I'd bet that some of it is coming from the steering wheel slip joint, like MowTaco said. That rattle is not a safety concern, though.

5. May 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    inner and outer ties rods get eaten up by these trucks, and it can happen real fast if you offroad a lot...I replaced mine 2 years ago, got rid of the rattle, but now it is back, I drive a lot off paved getting to certain properties...time to do it again...just another thing to consider when troubleshooting...easy repair, real easy...

Last edited: May 16, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top