1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

steering problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaybru, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Apr 5, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    jaybru

jaybru [OP] Member

Member:
    rhode island
    Vehicle:
    05 taco
    Hello all,

The steering on my taco has recently become extremely stiff, in addition, the steering wheel does not return to the center position. There's no noise associated with the stiffness.
    Things I've checked: ball joints, alignment, tire pressure, PS fluid, and belt. Nothing is wrong. Before I replace the rack and pinion does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance

2. Apr 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Is everything in the greased?

3. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    jaybru

jaybru [OP] Member

Member:
    rhode island
    Vehicle:
    05 taco
    Yes everything is greased. The truck is more difficult to steer at low speeds. I've read that some vehicles have variable assist power steering. This would assist the truck is making turns at lower speeds. Does anyone know if an 05 taco is equipped with this and if so where it would be located.

Armkb likes this.
  4. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    coveylane

coveylane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have an 08 Tacoma and I am recently experiencing the same thing. Stiff steering at low speeds, not returning to centre. Your query was from 2010 and I was wondering if by now you have found the cause. I had a couple people drive it and they never really found it a problem but they drive Ford Rangers so I can't expect much.

5. Apr 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    yea my steering is stiff at begining of starting to turn the wheel then gets easy and every 180* gets stiff an the easy again?????

6. Apr 8, 2012 at 4:25 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
  7. Apr 8, 2012 at 5:06 AM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine was doing this. I Pressure washed all the built up grime on the small u joint in the steering shaft (located almost direcly above the cv shaft), sprayed the hell out of it with pb blaster, drove it around the block and the problem was fixed.

So far I've sprayed it down with white lithium grease and have had no issues now for two weeks.

The u joint is non serviceable and the assembly costs 370$ plus tax at the dealership so hopefully this cheap fix works for you too

8. Apr 8, 2012 at 6:05 AM
    coveylane

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Thanks I'll have a look at that as soon as the weather clears. Spring arrived with a few days of Summer temperatures (near 90 degress f) and then Spring weather comes back and now we are back in to Winter with snow. :-(

9. Apr 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    coveylane

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    On Tuesday after a bunch of rain, I drove my truck and haven't noticed the steering issue since. I realize it will probably return but it seems just the lubrication from the water has made a difference. I'm going to pressure wash the ujoint and spray it with some kind of lub like was suggested.

10. May 3, 2012 at 4:34 AM
    coveylane

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I went at this the other day when mine was it's worst. ( I was getting nervous driving it) I was going to skip the pressure washer part but decided I would follow directions) So I pressure washed that ujoint... Sprayed it with PB Blaster (a penetrating fluid). Left it sit for awhile. Took it for a drive and I didn't notice too much difference if any. So I gave it another good shot of PB Blaster and drove it again. It seemed to be better. I then sprayed it with White Lithium Grease. I do not notice it at all now. Thank you so much. I would recommend anyone to spray that ujoint now before it starts to stiffen up.

11. Aug 1, 2016 at 7:36 AM
    Flutebassoon

Flutebassoon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I have an 06 Tacoma. When it had 130,000 miles on it, the steering got tight. Replaced rack and pinion (In March) and power steering tube assembly and fluids. This worked for a few months but end of July the problem has completely returned! Will this power wash- lithium grease be the answer? Matt

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  12. Aug 1, 2016 at 8:06 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Some people have had issue in the steering u joint. It dries out and gets stiff.

13. Aug 1, 2016 at 8:28 AM
    coveylane

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Spraying the U-joint in the steering column is a temporary fix. Replacing the part with the u-joint will fix it for good. Since this thread started I have replaced the section with the U-joint. Purchased my part from Village Toyota Parts out of Florida and saved $150 from what my dealer in Nova Scotia wanted even with shipping and customs.

14. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:44 PM
    PafBos

PafBos New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pete
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC Sport
    Thanks so much for this thread ! I was shopping around for a price on a Pwr Steering pump and caught this thread by chance. I was skeptical that the pump or the hydraulics were bad (no leaks, no noises, no change to the rpms when attempting to turn) but didn't know what else it could be.
    After reading this I had my wife turn the steering while I sprayed the garden hose on that rusty little u-joint behind the Rack & Pinion box - and EUREKA ! the steering improved dramatically !
    I then sprayed a generous amount of WD-40 on it. We'll see how long that lasts - no doubt it will have to be replaced at some point. But bottom line, this post saved me a lot of aggravation and money trying to figure out where the real problem is. THANKS !

15. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:51 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I love a happy ending. Right on

16. Oct 28, 2016 at 1:34 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    You guys scare me with your pressure washing and PB Blasting your steering U joints. If that thing fails you could drive right into a bus! You know what happens if you snap a steering cable on a boat .... you go right over the side, this is no less dangerous.

This is a known failure, there are complaints to the NTSB on this issue. Toyota does not properly protect their steering joints with a cover like GM and the likes. Their steering joints are exposed and look like something out of a 1970's erector set. If you even suspect that the joint is going bad, replace it immediately!

I had one fail on my '06 Tacoma and I caught it in time. This is nothing to mess with, if you spray it and it helps, drive it somewhere and get it replaced or go get the parts. Cleaning and lubing is not a good or lasting temporary repair. By spraying the joint indicates that it's already too late, water has gotten into the needle bearing and has already ruined them, there is no bringing them back from the dead, nor is there any bringing you back from the dead when you lose your steering and go into a building!

Zazult, coveylane, devkurf and 2 others like this.
  17. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:02 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Padbos,

Hotrod53 ain't just whistling in the dark. That universal joint that you glossed over by lubricating it will kill you if not replaced. For you and your families safety replace the Lower Intermediate Shaft, this is the part with the universal joint in it.

Steves104x4 and landphil like this.
  18. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:06 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I'd check the u-joint on the steering shaft first. If that's fine, I would back off the backlash adjustment a wee bit where the steering shaft meets the rack and pinion.

19. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Not recommended... IMO

20. Nov 27, 2017 at 7:12 PM
    coveylane

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Has anyone ever had to replace the u-joint a second time? I have replaced mine a few years ago but sometimes I wonder if the steering feels a tad stiff again.

Products Discussed in

To Top