1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering Rack...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MGH-PA, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Apr 19, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    So, long story short, I was in a front end collision (somewhat) back in January. Body work has been done, alignment, etc. Well, shortly after the restoration, I began noticing the steering getting periodically more stiff. Just in the past few weeks, my power steering is almost all but gone. So, I replaced the pump, and there's no improvement. I've also been getting a tire-like vibration at highway speeds. I took it to a local mechanic friend who suggested that it's most likely the steering rack since I took the hit inline with the rack essentially (the other car hit my passenger front tire), and you can see on my driver's side tire how it's really feathering the inside edge tread (about every other tread block). Now, I was always under the impression that a bad rack would cause lose steering not stiff? I'm not really keen on dropping $200+ (for a rebuilt rack) and it not being the problem. I trust the guy's opinion, but I'm also a little hesistant to keep throwing money at this problem. Can and will a bad rack cause stiff steering?

2. Apr 19, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    It could cause either a stiff or loose feeling if the rack is damaged. Why wouldn't insurance cover it, as it did the accident? (if it did) All it should take is a mechanic saying that the rack had to have been damaged in the accident. Yes?

3. Apr 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    Long story, short, I didn't use All-States recommended body shop, so I most likely won't have a leg to stand on.

To Top