1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering Wheel Conversion With Audio & Optional Bluetooth Phone Controls (official write up).

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mechanicjon, Mar 5, 2018.

1. May 6, 2018 at 8:47 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon [OP] They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Here's the only other info I have about the wiring. It doesn't give colors but tells you pin numbers and how to check the wire.

Attached Files:

2. May 6, 2018 at 10:05 PM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen Taco 4x4 SR-5 13th one off the line in Santa Clara May 13 1995. Many mods to it, still showing her force.
    K&N Filter, Boral Exhaust, Posi Trac, CBI DIY front Bumper, Mod front grill, Mod HD lites, Icons mod Front, Rear, & Stero System 7 inch Alpine, with mic, and USB, ipod,, New Carpet, New Suntop Camper shell, Carpet kit rear, Yak roof rack, Rola Cargo basket, Rock Lights,
    WOW " you can say that again....The whole FFF assembly line of workers must have been color blind, or they ran out of the right color of wire. and went to the scrap bin................ but even the pins are off, O'well it is --- what it is .......shaaaaaaaaaaaaa''''

The first row of the pins is your HD light and Wiper switch pins. I got that ....On the HD light chart I counted 9 wires (Old HD light Switch), but I show 10 wires coming out of my column., if you look in the photo, I think you can see it.? don't count pin 11, its for the CC. I'm in the process of confirming Continuity to ground on the HD light chart tonight. That ck is pretty easy..... confirming I we need power 12 volt to do the rest of the test light checks?. My Batt. is off line, can connect it in the moor. Plate should be here, I hope the next 24, 48 hours.. Thanks again for hard work....

3. May 6, 2018 at 10:24 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    This is essentially a 2nd Gen steering wheel with the 1st Gen airbag charge - right?

4. May 6, 2018 at 10:29 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    Yes 12volts. The one extra wire you'll have to trace it to the switch and find out what it does.

Kinda of. If you want to swap the airbag charge over. I didn't. A few years had the single charge in a 2nd gen looking steering wheel.

5. May 7, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen Taco 4x4 SR-5 13th one off the line in Santa Clara May 13 1995. Many mods to it, still showing her force.
    K&N Filter, Boral Exhaust, Posi Trac, CBI DIY front Bumper, Mod front grill, Mod HD lites, Icons mod Front, Rear, & Stero System 7 inch Alpine, with mic, and USB, ipod,, New Carpet, New Suntop Camper shell, Carpet kit rear, Yak roof rack, Rola Cargo basket, Rock Lights,
    Ok on the wires now. Question: Power is up on the truck, I will need to turn the ignition on to complete the Turning Switch tests, My SRS A/B is not connected. Will I throw a chip light on, and will it FFF my new bag, down the road.? or does it matter???

6. May 7, 2018 at 5:37 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    It will turn the light on. But it will reset it self when the airbag is plugged in. It wont hurt anything.

7. May 7, 2018 at 11:17 PM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    Ok''''' - Made some progress today, again, Many thanks to your help, I sure appreciated, still learning the Electrical side, but getting the hang of it... I have the WS Wiper/ Washer Chart complete, I still have yours, but created a new one that will jive with colors/ Pins, and there functions. Only issue I had was the Large Blue/Orange wire. Pin# 17 on my taco, I wrote it on the new Chart next to the function, Its got continuity already, " Beep" did not need to activate the washer button. ???? all other test's function right - on ............Working on the HD Lights/ Blinker Chart, hope to have it done by early moor. Bring '''''''''' on those Pig Tails.....Had two other projects working on .....received my A/B Cover, Black, so had to R&R from Grey to Black, The grey one is in pretty good shape. Just wanted to go black.... Air Bag connection will be the last thing I do, cutting those wires is just pretty iffy, connecting the new ones. I do have a diagram of mind, 2 wires one yellow, one blue, new CS has Blue/ Yellow.? not sure if it will make a diff. Also did a Oil pressure gage set - up, Glow Shift Gauge on the door pillar. Tried to match the color of the pod with the inside of my taco, NOT, did not want to keep black, made it just a little darker grey, photos to follow. The gauge has a dimmer on it, so when you turn on your HDL it tones the light down a little at night.
    Let me see, what wire could that be , hahahah any who ----- Plate should be here tomorrow,

Attached Files:

8. May 8, 2018 at 12:22 AM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    The washer wire is grounding back thru the pump motor.

9. May 8, 2018 at 5:29 AM
    COMAtized99

COMAtized99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish

You need better diagrams.

10. May 8, 2018 at 5:41 AM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    We're not pros in that corner, why don't you do it better

11. May 8, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    COMAtized99

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish

I've offered the Toyota diagrams I have. I assumed that since no one asked, they had what they needed. I have most** of the 95-02 Tacoma diagrams. I don't believe I have anything on the 03-04, I'd have to look. I could likely get whatever is needed, just need to know what exactly.

12. May 8, 2018 at 10:53 AM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    pm'd you

13. May 8, 2018 at 11:30 AM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    Ok got it, so we should be good to go, on that WS/ Wiper chart on my side?. Thanks--- Here is the HD lite/ Turn Signal Chart. Remember I had a extra wire, well it looks like Pin# 8 solid RED, got some readings from it, Its on the new chart under Pin#8. Hope it helps. There are three wires " directly connected to the stick, two solid whites, one of the solid whites I apply blue tape to identify the wire and one solid Red?, this is the Red solid I'm talking about. Photo's ---- strange ......???? has to have a function .....can't figure it out,

66.jpg
    44.jpg

Attached Files:

14. May 8, 2018 at 1:22 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Those three wires are for the head lights or tail lights. Try hooking your ohm meter up to the red and ome white. Should be no continuity with switch off. Then try the other wite and red. (switch unplugged)

15. May 8, 2018 at 2:35 PM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    Ok All give it a shot'' In the mean time Fed Ex. just drop my plate off.............. FFFFFFFFF''' not even close. What the hell''''' , strike two on parts, CS, now the Fricken Plate... what up with that ...
    holes are way off,
    • Manufacturer: Toyota
    • Part Number: 45891-07010
    • Part: Mount Bracket
    • Replaces: 45891-07020
    • Part Notes: Without tilt wheel, signal switch. Sequoia. Sienna. Tundra. Turn signal bracket.

IMG_8375.jpg
    IMG_8376.jpg
    IMG_8377.jpg

16. May 8, 2018 at 3:02 PM
    COMAtized99

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish
    @Birdog , what are you trying to do. Looks like you are trying to adapt 98+ Tacoma/4runner stalks to your 95-96 Tacoma? Correct? If so, why, just cause or you need a specific function?

The 95-96 Tacoma use a different Clocm spring vs the 98+. ( I know, I left 97 out. That year is a split year it seams some different things, and inreI rehave no experience personally with them). I do have a 96 and a 99 Tacoma currently, and have had a 97 4runner, and ayed with a few others trucks of the same era.

17. May 8, 2018 at 3:06 PM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    Ok as you instructed ............. here are the readings, ops''' in PDF format

Attached Files:

18. May 8, 2018 at 3:10 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Make one bracket out of 2.
    @COMAtized99 This started off just trying to add the steering wheel controls. but the switches were the clock spring are completely different. So we were looking at just using the newer switches on his old column.

19. May 8, 2018 at 3:14 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Okay try using the white as the common and not the red. Then try the white/black as common.

20. May 8, 2018 at 3:17 PM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    Order the wrong Plate ??????
    96 97 98 99 00 01 02 4RUNNER STEERING COLUMN 3.4L AUTO 4X2

s-l1600F1GCNPVF.jpg
    s-l1600UV5IHTZN.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top