1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering Wheel Conversion With Audio & Optional Bluetooth Phone Controls (official write up).

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mechanicjon, Mar 5, 2018.

1. May 8, 2018 at 3:18 PM
    COMAtized99

COMAtized99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish

Would it not be easier to find the correct clock spring? I assume the issue with the clock spring is that it doesn't have enough wires? I assume 4, and you need what, 6?

When I added cruise to my 96, I found that my clock spring didn't have enough pins, only two.. I needed 5 (3 wire cruise) ( 00/01+ use two wire). I lucked up and found a 95-96 clock spring on eBay from a cruise control truck. Worked fine.

How many extra wired do you need for your radio controls?

Deleted last part, incorrect info. Better info farther down

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 8, 2018 at 3:20 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon [OP] They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    7 wires total.

3. May 8, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    It may end up requiring a 2001 to 2004 type column and switches.

4. May 8, 2018 at 3:46 PM
    COMAtized99

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish
    Did either of you buy the sienna clock spring? How many wires is in it? 6?

5. May 8, 2018 at 3:53 PM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen Taco 4x4 SR-5 13th one off the line in Santa Clara May 13 1995. Many mods to it, still showing her force.
    K&N Filter, Boral Exhaust, Posi Trac, CBI DIY front Bumper, Mod front grill, Mod HD lites, Icons mod Front, Rear, & Stero System 7 inch Alpine, with mic, and USB, ipod,, New Carpet, New Suntop Camper shell, Carpet kit rear, Yak roof rack, Rola Cargo basket, Rock Lights,
    More Readings for ya''''''''''''

Attached Files:

6. May 8, 2018 at 5:28 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    No I used a Sequoia/Tundra
    I'm just concerned with the 3 wires coming out of the turn signal lever. I thought they were one red and 2 whites....?

7. May 9, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen Taco 4x4 SR-5 13th one off the line in Santa Clara May 13 1995. Many mods to it, still showing her force.
    K&N Filter, Boral Exhaust, Posi Trac, CBI DIY front Bumper, Mod front grill, Mod HD lites, Icons mod Front, Rear, & Stero System 7 inch Alpine, with mic, and USB, ipod,, New Carpet, New Suntop Camper shell, Carpet kit rear, Yak roof rack, Rola Cargo basket, Rock Lights,
    Ok', = in PDF format also mounting plate for SW, complete, yea'''''' went to Pick & Pull this moor. pulled from a 99 4 runner, got some pig tails from a 2000 Taco, also, had to mod the top bolt holes a little to line up, do a little grinding, here & there----but it will do the job.............Hell''' yea....

IMG_8380.jpg
    IMG_8382.jpg
    IMG_8387.jpg
    IMG_8388.jpg

Attached Files:

tacomakid96 and mechanicjon[OP] like this.
  8. May 9, 2018 at 5:58 PM
    COMAtized99

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 DCLB v8
    The Bed is stock...ish
    Ok, so to correct the info I posted, I am using an 01-04 taco radio, specifically an 04. I also picked up a radio control off the side of a early 2000s sienna van. I have the left side airbag horn mount with radio bracket. I also have the needed plug to plug in the empty socket on the back of the radio. Only thing I need now is a tundra/Sequoia/sienna clock spring.

For what it's worth, the tundra/Sequoia and sienna radio looks identical to the taco radio, but doesn't have the orange back light.

I have confirmed that the sienna switch does actually work with the taco radio. I did have to cut a hole in the side of the steering wheel back cover for the switch, but the switch covers it nicely.

Pics to come once things are finalized.

mechanicjon[OP] likes this.
  9. May 9, 2018 at 9:39 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Don't ground the ohm meter to the plate. We're needing to determine the switch common. Hook the black test lead up to the common wire your testing coming out of switch.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  10. May 9, 2018 at 10:28 PM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    More Readings, for ya '''''''''' I think we got it . ????????????

Attached Files:

11. May 9, 2018 at 10:36 PM
    Birdog

Birdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast, Valley Boy
    Vehicle:
    On the Radio controls, Question: Since mind will be a little diff, Going to use Axxcess-1 module. In this photo which wire would be the ground wire. The EAU, ?. ........ Thanks ....

3.jpg

12. May 10, 2018 at 6:26 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    you know what would make this "official"? not having @Birdog 's adventure into wiring hell. and also the english, I think that's what he's speaking, so chopped up.

should have made a separate post or kept to PMs until figured out. now we have 7 extra pages of crap to look at. could have even put it in your old post when you did testing before the official. and then added the 95-97 bits in at the end.

glad you're working it out but dam, my brain is hurting from trying to figure out what planet some of the ffff and shhhaaa is coming from... :facepalm::smack:

13. May 10, 2018 at 7:54 AM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I moved it to PMs. When can delete and extra post. I'll also update the first post with this information.

frizzman[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 10, 2018 at 1:31 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    :)

15. May 11, 2018 at 8:58 AM
    BajaSurfRig

BajaSurfRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4wd Trd 5sp Callen Camper
    I may have to give this a go with my Taco :thumbsup:

16. May 11, 2018 at 9:02 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    That is an amazing write up Jon! I had wanted to do this for years, but never had the know-how to get this far! You sir, are the genius TW needs.

17. Jun 8, 2018 at 8:23 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    @tcBob please un-sticky. Too many stickies in the first gen section. Not sure many people are going to be swapping steering wheels.

18. Jun 8, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    :duel:

There is a lot of stickies but why is that a negative thing?

19. Jun 8, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    not trying to offend anyone, but the whole purpose of stickies is for generalized info for a wide variety of tacoma owners... in this case it's more of an anomaly and there are plenty of other stickies that are anomalies that don't really need to be here. Whoever was in charge of stickying things has gotten a little too generous with it. There's a few useful ones that I think people are missing due to the sheer amount of clutter, and people keep making new threads over and over regarding the topics already in stickies but are easily missed. Nothing wrong with your writeup, but it just doesn't really belong as a sticky. There are a lot of other ones that are just plain dead, no one has posted there in months, further solidifying the fact that it's not really useful as a sticky because it isn't a frequently visited subject.

FWIW, the tack weld steering shaft mod should be a sticky... it affects tons of people and it's an easy fix. Yet it's not a sticky... why?? who the hell knows.

20. Jun 8, 2018 at 11:20 PM
    mechanicjon

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I agree with the steering shaft fix needing to be stickied. TcBob Skickied this thread out of the blue. I think he posted above somewhere.

ThunderOne likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top