1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering WHeel Shake Only When Turning, Bad U-Joints?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacomaGus, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    I get a shimmy in the steering wheel always when making a decent sized turning at speeds above 40 mph, but it never really shimmys any other time. Couldn't find anything on here, but on other forums it was a consensus that the u joints were bad. The previous owner of this truck had the carrier bearing and a u joint replaced so maybe this truck just eats them every 25-30k miles?

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to get a rotation, balance, and alignment, so I'll have them check the drive shaft as well, just looking for input

2. May 31, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    You have 08 TRD sport right? If yes when was the last time you changed rear diff fluid.
    If you dont remember, replace it with regular 80w90 Lucas and see if you getting vibes again. I get the same thing what you describe when its time to replace my diff fluid. We both have Hino LSD in rear diffs and that thing chews true fluids in order to work.

3. May 31, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    i only got the truck a year ago with 68k miles (now has 74k) so idk if the last guy ever replaced it. I'll ask them to check that too

4. May 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    Could be a wheel bearing going out on the front end. Often times they will wobble worse when they are under heavy load from weight transfer while turning. Jack each front tire off the ground and grab a hold of it and see if there is play in the hub... this will tell you right away you have a wheel bearing going. The mileage wouldn't be too far off for a bad wheel bearing on the 2nd gens either.

5. May 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    ya that makes sense since it really is noticeable when making left turns at speed rather than right turns...

6. May 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    Check the right wheel first than! :D If you are going to have to replace one, might as well do both though.

7. May 31, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    TacomaGus

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    i don't have a jack so i can't check myself, just have to have them check it tomorrow. If it does need replacing then idt thats covered under warranty and i don't wanna get raped at the dealership so i'll just have a very reputable toyota speciality shop do it.

8. May 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    korslite

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    You should be able to use the factory bottle jack on the lower control arm. Just be very careful... could save you some diagnostic charges.

9. May 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    That can cause a vibration in the rear :eek: but not a steering wheel shake. Still does not hurt to replace the rear diff oil.

Products Discussed in

To Top