1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

steering wheel shimmy and vibration

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Elkoholik, May 23, 2012.

1. May 23, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    Elkoholik

Elkoholik [OP] ELKOHOLIK

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    Bumpass, Va
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma double cab long bed
    I recently purchased a 2011 tacoma, double cab with a long bed. I have had steering wheel shimmy and genaral vibration since day one. My truck has been in the shop 6 times, for allignment and wheel balancing. I have dunlop grandtrek at20 tires.after all of this i still have the problem. the mechanic says its the tires, the service manager says he ha "hit a wall" and cannot come up with a solution. Has anyone else had this problem

2. May 23, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    geoff06

geoff06 261k and counting

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '01 PreRunner Xcab lifted
    3" lift, Bilstein 5100/OME coilovers, rear AAL, Swiss camper shell, Rough Country 9000 rear shocks, 265/75/16 AT's on stock steel rims painted black, All-Pro 1.5"F/1.25"R wheel spacers, airbox elbow mod, Flowmaster Super 44, Davico post-cat, I took off my DIY angle iron bed/light bar!, bed wheel well shovel-mount, blacked out grill emblem, Poineer DEH-P3900 head unit, Alpine Type R front component speakers, Pioneer Coaxial rears, Dynamat in door panels, scratchbuilt aluminum holders for my ipod nano and phone, and for some reason, I painted the headlight fillers black...
    Does it shimmy/shake/etc only when braking or is it always like that? If it's only when braking, it could be related to your brake rotors. Do you know if they have replaced any ball joints? Another possibility is that you have some defective steering shaft bushings (sorry, I can't remember the actual name of those). I also have some Dunlop tires (a/t) and they are really unevenly worn, causing some shaking, but if yours are new, they shouldn't be the culprit.

3. May 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    Elkoholik

Elkoholik [OP] ELKOHOLIK

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    Bumpass, Va
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma double cab long bed
    the steering wheel will shimmy and shake at speeds from 60 - 72 mph. it
    dosent seem to be road smoothness related, it feels like the tire are out of balance. even though Toyita has balanced and re-balanced them 6 times.
    the tech at the dealership thinks its the tires.

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    parkp81

parkp81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Southern California
    I have this same issue, and I have had the tires balanced over 10 times, with the same tires your running. I also have a 2011 TRD short bed. From what I gathered is that the Dunlops are junk and some have changed tires to another brand and the problem went away. Some have also changed the entire wheels and tires to something else and the problem went away. I just can't see myself spending that money at this moment. Pretty frustrated as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top