1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel sway

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BuckshotJones, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Nov 3, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    BuckshotJones

BuckshotJones [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Boerne TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    So I've had my taco for a little over a month, and while overall I love the truck, there's a few things that are bugging me. Specifically the steering. When test driving, I never really noticed it, but now that I drive it daily its become more noticeable. When driving at highway speeds, I can feel a "sway" (as best as i can describe it) in the steering wheel. Kind of comes and goes, and is more noticeable on older highways with more banking in the road, or behind 18wheelers, or in windy situations. And certain times, its nonexistant. Its not a vibration, but more of a "left-right" turning in the wheel. Its not enough to cause panic or accidents or anything, just enough to take notice and make me have to consciously correct the steering. I also notice that when driving at lower speeds and I hit say a bump or something not quite head on, the wheel will pull to whatever side hits first it seems. I've driven trucks all my life and fully realize that steering isn't as sharp as a tack in a truck, but it seems a little more than normal in this truck than my previous trucks. So is this normal for a Tacoma? Has anyone noticed this issue? Is it just an alignment issue? or is there anything else I should consider? I plan on bringing this up when i take the truck back to get the air intake rattle fixed and possibly the rear TSB done. Just thought I'd ask around first.

2. Nov 3, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    i think you may have a lemon............................just kidding,mine feels that way too, 09 dc 4x4 sport oh yeah,what kind of intake rattle do you have?

3. Nov 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    I'm assuming you're talking about "play" in the steering wheel... On my truck the steering wheel is surprisingly tight & very centered (even with 45k miles). If your wheel does have abnormal amount of play, my guess would be that it's probably an alignment issue. Could also be worn tierod ends though. Any tire shop could check this. As for driving behind a truck, and other driving conditions, you can probably notice a little difference because of wind resistance. I've noticed that our trucks are definitely not the best for aerodynamics. :)

4. Nov 3, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    BuckshotJones

BuckshotJones [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Boerne TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    Thanks for the quick reply guys...as far as rattle, its the standard "bzzzt bzzzt bzzzzzzzt" issue i've heard of from many tacoma owners. It comes from the port in the fender that the intake connects to. I could probably fix it myself but I'd rather them do an "official" fix, given its under warranty and all ;)

5. Nov 3, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    i dont have that noise,but i can hear an exhaust noise when accelerating like next to a wall or other cars,almost sounds like the exhaust pipe is too thin.:thumbsup:

To Top