1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Step up transformer? 400w?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 05SuperChrg, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Sep 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    05SuperChrg

05SuperChrg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Air Filter,Rancho 9000's, Old Man,Fumoto Oil Drain Valve,Kenwood Sub, Sony HU,Wet Okole, debadged,satoshi,Slee Sliders
    Hey TW

Has anyone wanted more than 400w from the bed? If so, how did you do it? I would like to be able to power my air compressor for my air tools while on the road.

The compressor needs 110V A/C with 9amps. Is it even possible?

2. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Not without upgrading your alternator big time. Your truck is NOT an unlimited power station. If you run more than 100 watts @ 120VAC in the back while driving you will risk sucking amps from the battery because you only get a max of 130 Amps out of the stock alternator. Lights, A/C, ignition, charging system, and accessories all use power.

If you need 9 Amps at 110/120 VAC that converts to 1,080 Watts. I would purchase at least a 1,200 Watt inverter AND upgrade your alternator to somewhere around 400-500 Amps @ 13.5 VDC. Don't forget to upgrade your wiring to a larger gauge. I'm not an electrician so I'm not qualified to tell you how much. I do know that you should have at least 14 gauge on the AC side of the inverter.

IMO, I'm afraid that to do this correctly would be much more expensive than to buy a Honda generator. Plus the generator is so much more versatile.

Good luck though.

3. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    It'd be cheaper and better to buy a dc compressor like arb or smittybuilt then to try to run the ac comp off an inverter.

4. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    The third alternative would be one of those small invertor generators in a 1500W or so model. Small, quiet, fuel efficient and it could be on a quick release mount in the bed or something.

Depends what you want the thing for too. Just to air up tires after being off road or do you plan to run a construction site off the truck? If the latter I don't think I'd be real keen on the idea of a 4L V6 sucking up gas all day everyday. Plus you'll end up wearing it out prematurely with excessive idling.

Either an engine mounted compressor or large wattage generator would be cool but it's a lot of work to rig up the brackets and pulleys but then also make sure it can handle 0-5000rpm. A generator would be the tougher one because any hiccup in the rpm will put a hiccup in the output so you would need to find a way to govern the engine really well.

To Top