1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stepside to reg box swap advice and questions.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by FishinTaco, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Feb 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    I've got a 2002 TRD 4x4 5spd with a stepside box (and hard tonneau cover). It's a pretty sweet looking and it great shape. Trouble here is space and practicality. I've even been looking for a canopy for it, but they are hard to come by, and to be honest camper shells look horrible on stepsides (IMHO).

I've found a 2000 box same color (Lunar Mist I believe?), but it's a pre-runner non trd. It's in great shape though, and the guy would trade for my stepside, he wants one for a project he's building. Oh, and he's got a camper shell to match in the swap.

Here are the issues:

1. My color matched fender flares from a 2002 stepside, do they fit and can I attach them to the reg box 2000 pre-runner?

2. Is the gas tank placement the same or is that going to cause issues in the swap?

3. My bumpers are color matched as well and this 2000 has chrome bumpers (chrome bumper on a truck with no chrome would look pretty bad). Do reg box 2002 trd 4by's have a color matched bumper?

4. Final question, does all this sound like to much of a hassle? Trying to find fender flares, a bumper to match, removing the pre-runner badge, putting a trd back on, the drive down and the labor etc.?

I know it's a long one, but thanks in advance for any help! If there are any other issues I haven't though of, throw them out there.

Cheers,

D

2. Feb 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT AK SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Roxy '95 Manual 4x4
    SAS locked geared
    I'd do it, goodluck! :thumbsup:

3. Feb 27, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    I think your concerns aren't going to become an issue. The gas tank placement should be the same as with the bumper brackets (mounting). You can always grab tape measure and double-check. The color match on the bumper is no worry, color match is a trim-line feature (Limited, I believe.)

I'm not sure about the fender flares, to be honest. They are held on by a few screws so it will be easy to do a quick fitment to check.

As for badges? Go naked! You can order some killer TRD stickers from Sockmonkey. He has a nice line of customized TRD badges. Really worth checking out.

Hassle wise; it depends on what is worth to you. The step sides are fairly rare. But the 1G trucks are becoming rare in themselves. If you want a standard bed and have a free weekend have at it. It might be a fun project!

4. Feb 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    FishinTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    Thanks Dereck on some of that info. I believe getting fending flares, getting them to fit tight (lots of salt etc up here) and finding a trd color matched bumper are my obstacles.

I recal someone on here had done the switch, I can't recal who, maybe he'll chime in.

Cheers,

5. Feb 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    Have you thought about switching all these parts with the guy you are switching beds? You could even switch front bumpers and front/rear fender flares.

6. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    FishinTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    Original truck was a front end collision, so no front bumper. If I took his rear bumper it would be the only chrome on the truck. My grill is even color matched. His box doesn't have fender flares, I think it was a base pre-runner. Good thoughts though, thanks! D

7. Feb 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    FishinTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    Talked to the guy today, we are going to do the switch next week. He's got a hoist and the whole bit so it should only take a few hours.

Cheers, D

To Top