1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo Install Advice for a 2010 Taco

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by NUMMI TACOMA, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Nov 24, 2016 at 2:43 PM
    NUMMI TACOMA

NUMMI TACOMA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 2.7L 5 Speed 4X4
    Hi all,

Before I get started, this is for a 2010 Tacoma Access Cab SR5 with the factory back-up camera in the rearview. It has the low-end radio with no Bluetooth or right-hand steering wheel call controls. It does have the left-hand controls. Originally, I posted in my regional forum looking for a good install shop, but I got some responses on there that inspired me to look into installing my own equipment. I'll probably add speakers, amp, and maybe even a sub at later point, but the things I want to do for now are already a pretty hefty weekend project. I've done some research on these forums and found some very helpful advice, but some things I couldn't find a conclusive answer on.

Essentially, here is what I would like to do:
    -Install a head unit with Apple CarPlay
    -Install a Bluetooth microphone
    -Install steering wheel phone controls
    -Re-route rearview camera feed to Apple CarPlay head unit (I'd even settle for mirroring if necessary)
    -Maintain stock AUX cable access (nice to have)

My proposed equipment list:
    -Pioneer Head Unit - AVH-4200NEX
    -Metra 95-8214T Dash Kit
    -Metra 70-1761 Wiring Harness
    -Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
    -Metra 70-8114 Steering Wheel Control Harness
    -Toyota P/N 84244-35030-B0 (bluetooth control steering wheel buttons)
    -Toyota P/N 82404-58010 (bluetooth control steering control ribbon)
    -Parking Brake bypass

I plan to install the steering wheel controls by following the advice from this post:
    INSTALLED STEERING WHEEL AUDIO CONTROLS ON MY 08

Current issues:
    -I haven't seen any kind of consensus on how to get back up camera video on the aftermarket head units of pre-2012 Tacomas.
    -It looks like the pioneer head unit that I'm interested in has a bluetooth microphone, but I haven't seen any kind of advice on where to put/mount it.
    -Not really an issue, but the advice I have seen seems to point to the two part numbers I have listed above for bluetooth steering wheel controls. The years and models I have seen listed for each part number don't match my Tacoma, but the responses I have seen claims that these parts will work. If there are Tacoma-specific part numbers that anyone could recommend, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll trust what I've already read.

If you have any feedback or recommendations on my issues or my proposed equipment, please let me know. Currently, I'm planning on buying most of my equipment from crutchfield with some of the smaller pieces like adding bluetooth controls coming from eBay. If anyone knows of a better seller, please let me know. I would also like to avoid splicing or soldering at all costs as well. So far everyone here has been really great and very helpful and I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 24, 2016 at 7:50 PM
    SpoilsofWar

SpoilsofWar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport Super Charged
    camera should be standard video input rca plug. Bluetooth mic I would put in the top of the driver apiller and run the wire down inside the puller, you would barely notice it

3. Dec 5, 2016 at 7:30 PM
    NUMMI TACOMA

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    So, it sounds like the back up camera video feed is a simple rca cable. Is there a good place to tap into that that doesn't require splicing? Like a mid-point between the rear view mirror and tailgate camera?

Also, has anyone found alternate part numbers for adding the Bluetooth controls?

pastorman likes this.
  4. Dec 16, 2016 at 1:50 PM
    NUMMI TACOMA

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    So I was talking with one of the electro mechanical engineers I work with at my job and he made what I thought was a great suggestion for the back-up camera video feed situation.

He suggested I buy a displacement connector and connect it to the existing cable. It taps into it without any splicing required. He mentioned that I could just tap into the signal to clone it or I could clamp it all the way to kill the feed to the rearview and reroute it to the head unit. This is the piece: https://www.zoro.com/3m-displacemen...gclid=CPT_8PrX-dACFQ6Zfgod9ikMIA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I haven't started my build yet, but I'm hoping to in the next month or so. If anyone else has any feedback in the interim, please let me know.

5. Mar 31, 2017 at 7:06 PM
    Superman910

Superman910 Epic Dirty

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Stock as Fuck or Not Fucking Stock
    So did you ever get around to doing this build

6. May 1, 2017 at 12:09 AM
    NUMMI TACOMA

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    Not yet... ended up getting side tracked by buying a shell instead. Hopefully I'll get back around to this in the next few months.

Products Discussed in

To Top