1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo install trouble!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by StatutoryAPE, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Jun 19, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    StatutoryAPE

StatutoryAPE [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    TRD Headers,CAI, dynomax super turbo, blacked out headlights, Smoked LED tails, Billy 5100 w/OME 881's and 5125's in rear, rear tube bumper, tint 35% front 3 windows & 5% in rear 3. fiberwerx 4.5's
    So im trying to install an aftermarket stereo. i got all the wires connected except for 2, blue/white labeled REMO and pink labeled IN INT. i have no colors that match those and no other wires to connect them to. When i connected the battery the stereo lights come on but there is no sound.

I got the wiring harness from walmart, it has 4 different connectors to use but i only used 2. i found a third factory harness to connect to and once i connected it it blew my 7.5 radio fuse.

Someone added a 6 disc cd changer in, but i removed all of the wires for that pos.
    Someone please help. I have most of the weekend to fix this.

2. Jun 19, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I also did not use those two wires, but mine worked fine on the first try.

You should probably (if you didn't) tape off those two wires even though they probably have plastic ends covering the connectors. They may be shorting out somewhere with all the wires and the stereo stuffed back into the dash.

3. Jun 19, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    StatutoryAPE

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    TRD Headers,CAI, dynomax super turbo, blacked out headlights, Smoked LED tails, Billy 5100 w/OME 881's and 5125's in rear, rear tube bumper, tint 35% front 3 windows & 5% in rear 3. fiberwerx 4.5's
    i havent put anything back in the dash yet. i wanted to make sure it all worked right before i put it in ya know.

4. Jun 19, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    With this wiring harness you bought, were all the wires that you used a direct match color wise? Blue to blue, yellow to yellow, etc?
    If not, are you positive you connected them all properly?

One other possibility, is the mute or phone button pushed?

5. Jun 19, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Are the speakers hooked into that harness? You need another harness for back speakers also.

6. Jun 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    StatutoryAPE

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    they weren't a exact match. but it would be like light blue to blue, then light blue/black to blue/black. you what i mean? just the shades are different.

7. Jun 19, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    t.hornstra

t.hornstra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Little this. Little that 4x4 Swap’d PreRunner
    you don't have to worry about the blue/white stripe. that is for a remote line to turn an amplifier on, if you have one.
    not sure what the other one does.

8. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    StatutoryAPE

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    yeah im hooking up a sub and amp too. i got it all to work. i dunno how it just turned on. god this a pain in the ass so far. too many wires and not enough room in the cab to work.

9. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    t.hornstra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Ya, its tough. I did mine overnight one day. Took all the seats and panels out. Dranks lost of Monsters and Red Bulls and cranked the stereo in my Garage. Took about 8 hours to do it all relaxed. new components, HU, 2 amps, subwoofer, monster cables and speaker wire, ipod routed to center console. etc.

10. Jun 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    tacosuprem

tacosuprem Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    wow eight hours? 1st time? took me to install my old system(6 mids and highs...2 amps.. 2 subs) wires and all 3 hours.. at last its done.. how does it soud?

11. Jun 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    t.hornstra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Well. I wasn't in a rush enjoying country music and some beverages along the way:D. I literally took the entire interior out, carpet pulled up and everything to route the monster cable speaker wires thru the body neatly. had the amps installed under both seats with the power cables running thru the center, the audio cables running on the door trim to not get noise from the strong electrical current of the power supply n such. It was my first time for the truck. so it would take me a couple minutes to find out how to get a panel off n such.
    Prettymuch i wasn't in a hurry so i as just relaxing enjoying some good ol' Coors light and Eric Church.

and it sounded AMAZING.
    but the first weekend i moved to Sacramento, My truck was broken into and they got my sub and head unit. they tried to get to my speakers but gave up messin with the panel the seat belts go into, (i can now be thankful for my seatbelts... for saving my speakers!:p)

Now i have some cheapy sony deck that i had laying around. and my friend gave me a dual 12" pep boys sub set he had. I will certainly be upgrading soon though. I can make better bass with my fist on a table.

12. Jun 20, 2010 at 11:57 PM
    StatutoryAPE

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    well i finally got everything done and working. for some reason the sound started working out of nowhere, so i then started to install the amp and sub. like i said earlier, the previous owner installed a 6 disc changer and had wires everywhere so i had taken a little longer than i expected to install. but it sounds good now, everything works fine.

Anybody got a good suggestion on a 12 inch sub box that fits nicely in the back seat? mine falls forward into my seat everytime i brake.

13. Jun 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    Sirlight

Sirlight 1337 h4x0r

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner Xtra Cab
    STOCK
    I just wanted to chime in and say that The Black Dahlia Murder has got to be one of my fav bands. Rock that avatar proudly !

Also, you can always custom make a sub box for pretty inexpensive. Im sure you could even find the exact blueprints/dims online somewhere.

14. Jun 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    StatutoryAPE

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    [​IMG]

HELL YEAH

15. Jun 23, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    Sirlight

Sirlight 1337 h4x0r

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner Xtra Cab
    STOCK
    I want a white one to go in my back window. I will get one so very soon. Need an At the Gates sticker as well. I approve !

16. Jun 23, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    RushTacoma

RushTacoma Toyota Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner
    When you ever do a stereo change make sure you never leave any wires unconnected or untaped off. Take your time and follow the instructions. It really isn't that hard, just takes time and patience.

As for the box that fits nicely in the back seat...I would just build a custom one or go buy L-brackets so you can fasten the box to the truck so it wont move if you have to slam on the brakes. : )

17. Jul 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    StatutoryAPE

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    for now i am using the stock stereo to prop up my box!:D it works fine right now, but im still looking around

18. Jul 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    JDMcompliant

JDMcompliant Professional Amateur

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    your SN is awesome, OP. haha

Products Discussed in

To Top