1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 007Tacoma, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Apr 22, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    TACOMA2NDGEN

TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    I have the iphone 7 plus. The art work is there when im searching for the album but when i play the album only the song is listed real big

2. Apr 22, 2018 at 1:51 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    Best Gen Trail Limo
    Locker and Lights, so everything
    Weird. Mine works fine. iPhone 8 Plus. The art comes up somewhat washed out behind the song and album information.

3. May 20, 2018 at 6:10 PM
    BadgersFan

BadgersFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tacoma Access cab 2wd
    Honestly I'm not certain yet as it's due to arrive this Sunday. I'm a total noob to owning a truck this is my very first.
    Indeed
    I installed them 3 wks ago. Happy I did.

4. Mar 2, 2020 at 3:13 PM
    MountainSufi

MountainSufi Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 White Taco Double Cab Loooooong Bed TRD
    Thankx for the info. Definitely better pictures than Crutchfield's small, smudgey, low definition black & white directions.
    Two thoughts:
    1) Strongly consider replacing the narrow 22 gauge wiring that is stock with your Tacoma. For a number of reasons, you want something heavier.
    2) IMPORTANT: The driver's side front door on my 2012 4 door Taco was reverse wired to the speaker & tweeter. The purple - wire was hooked up to the + connections of the woofer & tweeter. It should have been the pink + wire. Soooo... Always double-check the official wiring codes for your vehicle.

5. Jul 24, 2020 at 6:53 AM
    SirOsisOfLiver

SirOsisOfLiver New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Hello all. First post, please be gentle...

Installed an aftermarket stereo in my 2012 Pre-Runner yesterday. Everything went great, except I cannot get the steering wheel controls to work.
    I installed a Kenwood touch screen, using a Idatalink Maestro RR. I looked at the wiring diagrams until I was cross-eyed. Everything is working great, except I have no steering wheel controls or radio connection to the in-console USB. I am having to run the USB connector from the radio out from under the dash to utilize the Android Auto feature. I bypassed the E-brake safety as well. Also, it appears that the stock microphone does not work with this particular installation either.

Anyone experienced anything similar? The Maestro has a blue port that I believe to be for the steering wheel controls. However, on the wiring diagram, it shows that the intended harness for that plug is unused in my installation.

Please help!

6. Jul 26, 2020 at 9:29 PM
    maverick4x2

maverick4x2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 5 lug
    This thread was super helpful, just upgraded the speakers to Focal Integration ISS 165's

Love how dynamic they are, huge improvement off of stock. Did some vibration dampening in the doors and on the back wall with Frost King (shoestring budget).

Here's the question, does anybody know what the 2013 stock head unit produces in watts of power?? I saw one post by a 3rd gen guy saying less than 10, closer to 5. Is this true for 2nd gens too?

I ask so that I can figure out if its kosher to run the new speakers with the stock HU, don't want to underpower them and cause problems down the road. As I mentioned earlier I am on a constricted budget so if the stock unit won't damage the new speakers ill be keeping it for a while.

7. Feb 4, 2021 at 1:28 AM
    Travlr

Travlr Doomsday Daily Driver

Member:
    Intergalactic Infindibulum
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Access Cab Taco
    Okay, questions... why do people replace their original equipment stereo? Is there something wrrong with them? Are they fragile and you break them?
    I've got a 2012 base model that was once a utility company truck and the stereo system is awsome. Just bought another 2012, Baja edition, and expected the stereo to be an improvement but it sounds crappy by comparison.

To Top