1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stevotivo12's SexyTaco build

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by stevotivo12, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Feb 12, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Good question! I use heavy duty grease (the really thick nasty stuff that comes in paper towel roll-sized tubes @ local auto parts store) for the traction bar, and I used my pistol grip grease gun to get the grease in the zerk fittings. Pb multi purpose is good for things that are supposed to be shiny such as uniballs, shock shafts, reservoirs, and fittings. It does a nice job of protecting them as far as I can tell as I've easily gotten 25k out of my first set of uniballs. Other than greasing every 5-10k miles you should be good to go after install! I've been pretty happy with mine so far brother!:burnrubber:

su.b.rat[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Feb 12, 2018 at 8:38 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    very nice. thanks, that will help me get started. I'm used to having a tech handy like i did for my last VW, but i don't have anyone to rely on for the little things.

and I'll call them tomorrow and ask them to lube like crazy when they're done. they were laughing about it today when i was checking in. they have a lot full of Subaru street racers. no trucks, ever. lol

stevotivo12[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 13, 2018 at 3:53 AM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Anytime! I'm glad I could help. I know the feeling, I get funny looks sometimes at this one shop near my parents' house in VB because every single truck that goes in or out of there has a 6" lift and 35s it seems. Its the one place I get out of my taco and it looks like I'm driving a sports car in comparison being at 'only' 2.5ish" of lift and 33s

4. Feb 14, 2018 at 1:05 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Another day another project here! Today I finally got around to deep cleaning my front wheels and brakes after install. A little brake fluid was spilled during install/break in and I finally got around to scrubbing that shit off the wheels and giving the calipers a good clean with brake clean and microfibers :rolleyes: got her up on some jackstands, pulled both wheels off, and cleaned everything off nice and then polished with some chemical guys max wheel polish and protectant IMG_20180214_121425.jpg IMG_20180214_121419.jpg IMG_20180214_121346.jpg 15186422776635199143167645767343.jpg

Cementhead 2020 and su.b.rat like this.
  5. Feb 14, 2018 at 1:20 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    looking so nice.

so, what's your 10 second review on the rear disc conversion? in terms of reliability, quality, performance..

6. Feb 14, 2018 at 1:43 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Thanks @St.Germain! Appreciate it brother.

So as far as reliability is concerned I can't say much yet because I've only had them in for a couple weeks now, but quality I'd give a solid 9/10, the rear disc conversion isn't quite race car level brakes like my front kit, BUT, the powder coat is nice and thick and shiny like the fronts, uses all OEM Toyota components for the caliper, and install was pretty straightforward. Time consuming, but I didn't have to do a whole lot of making things up as I go and things fit the way they were intended to, so that's a big plus. Solid overall kit, components from SOS performance such as the brackets and backing plate all fit perfectly so no dings on the quality far as I am concerned.
    Performance is subjectively speaking greatly improved. I feel much more in control of the vehicle pushing the brakes to the limit, and stopping power is without a doubt increased according to the ole butt dyno. Initial bite is harder, while modulation is much more linear and gives more accurate feedback through the pedal. Objectively speaking, I probably still have a lot to gain from a proportioning valve and master cylinder upgrade. Looking into utilizing the Sequoia brake MC for increased fluid movement to pedal travel as well as adding a simple in line proportioning valve in place of the brass 'spacer' in between the hard line coming off the MC and the actual chassis hard line in the future. I'm really happy with the performance so far, but when I really lay into it I can feel the rears brake loose, and I'm sure I could work my fronts harder without hurting anything as I am not getting much weight transfer during braking... Lots to think about but it's been a blast driving around recently, can't freaking wait for 1.03c as well especially with @OVTune taunting us on the Dev. thread

I was talking really fast for those ten seconds :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  7. Feb 14, 2018 at 6:23 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    right on, that sounds good. i would like to keep up with all that and believe me, that would absolutely be the next step, but the budget is focusing on other stuff now. in the meantime I'm actually successfully convincing myself how enjoyable stock is. it's great! o_O

actually just some pads will take it up a bit in another 20k. i am enjoying the stock experience regarding brakes, and i have been able to extract a surprising amount of performance from this thing. i would love to track it even on my ST Maxx's. (and yeah i have uca's high caster alignment). i used to have a friend out at Texas MSR and took my vw r32 there, but haven't been back).

but i haven't had the stock experience in a number of vehicles. the Taco isn't totally stock, but it's not far off. i will really love to go bbk and custom all around, but even aside from the budget i have funny stories about custom brakes and the life changing effects that can have on you when you're on the road. :anonymous:. in this car..

[​IMG]

8. Feb 19, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Stephen would you be able to solve an agurment @tetten and I have?
    Regarding the SOS backing plate for the disk conversion. Is the backing plate outboard of the bearing flange, or inboard?

9. Feb 19, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    tetten

tetten Cynical Twat Waffle

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Socal
    Can't argue with his photos, the instructions for the kit are goofy as hell

10. Feb 20, 2018 at 5:07 AM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Sure thing! The backing plate mounts directly outboard of that bearing flange surface.

jberry813[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 28, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Just received the parts to do my M/C upgrade from SOS Performance. Also purchased a Rizoma reservoir for the clutch fluid since the Sequoia MC does not have an additional hose barb for the clutch fluid. Install write up to come next week. Will also attempt to get a stopping distance test before and after. Here are some shots of the new goods: 15198552519935797826053253410891.jpgAnd here are the Hardline extensions and MC piston extension: 15198553928003473585656577373531.jpg new mounting plate with o-ring seal: 15198555057787181372026850917540.jpg
    And of course my little clutch fluid reservoir: IMG_20180228_170828_01.jpg write up will be up by next week hopefully!

su.b.rat likes this.
  12. Feb 28, 2018 at 3:47 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    can't wait!

13. Mar 5, 2018 at 12:44 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    haha funny guy! you're pretty understated about stuff generally, aren't you?

We tried to get the trac bar install going today, and there was fitment issues... the weld-on bracket blocked the pumpkin and we were thinking about fab work to correct it... but then i had an idea to refer back to your photos... this one in particular.

so....
    you rotated the muffler 90deg to provide clearance i see. that's a perfect solution, thanks for posting it. i just wished i looked closer before. so back to square one for now, next week repositioning the muffler and the week after try for bar install again. :kona:

14. Mar 5, 2018 at 4:22 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    I tend to be on the understated side of things... I try to follow Teddy Roosevelt's advice "Walk softly and carry a big stick" as often/closely as I can.

I am glad you like my solution! It was the only thing I could think of to get a tiny bit more clearance for the trac bar, but I think it should work for you seeing as my muffler is about as big as they come, its massive! Lol

15. Mar 5, 2018 at 4:28 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    So today I got a chance to do the Sequoia MC swap kit provided by SOS performance. This was yet another significant upgrade to the braking system, and definitely gives a much firmer pedal as promised. It is much to early to tell about the performance as I was gentle with her on the way home for the most part just to test everything out but tomorrow I plan to go out and romp on it now that I have seen everything work properly. Here are some pictures of the install! stock MC with new clutch reservoir (Rizoma aluminum resi from an Aprilia sport bike) mounted:IMG_0010.jpg

And this is the new Sequoia MC with the new clutch resi fully installed
    IMG_0014.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Mar 5, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    what muffler do you have? i have the TRD that came with the Pro. this one looks close but doable.

17. Mar 5, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow that came with the URD spec U! It's really tall, and long so I would think just about any muffler could fit if it can, except maybe the largest round mufflers

18. Mar 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    do you like it? i'm trying to stick with the TRD.

your MC upgrade is a thing of beauty btw.

19. Mar 6, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    Tocamo

Tocamo .

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bug-out vehicle
    Isn't it a bit early? do you tow a lot??

20. Mar 6, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Love it! Great sound and really not much additional noise considering I am running with just one cat on each side instead of two! It's got a great sound to me. Thanks! I really appreciate all the support for my build man you've been paying attention for a while!

Products Discussed in

To Top