1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sticker Price vs. Invoice Price

Discussion in 'New Members' started by iwant1, May 14, 2011.

1. May 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    iwant1

iwant1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not sure which is the correct area to post this....someone please point me in the right direction.

I do not currently own a Tacoma, but plan on buying one soon. Stopped at a local dealershipt today. Was informed that production has ceased due to the catastrophy in Japan. The salesman said that without any planned production for the short term...what you see is what you get...meaning they are not getting any more, other than the occasional dealer swap.

Since the supply is limited, he indicated a TRD Sport will pretty much sell for sticker price....maybe $500 less...that's it.

I would like to know from anyone that purchased a new Tacoma in the last few months how much your particular dealer was willing to deal. Realizing that people are naturally apprehensive to reveal details of this nature, I am going to ask anyways.

What did you end up paying for you truck in relation to the original factory price? Sticker price, a little less, a little more?

Any advice would be appreciated. I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.

Thanks.

2. May 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    iwant1

Member:
    Whats up with 44 views and no replies. Is everyone too embarrased to admit what they paid for their vehicle? Come on guys and gals....just looking for some guidance from current owners.

3. May 18, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW! Price varies too much from regon to regon. The Tacomas are made in the USA, so supply shouldnt be hindered too much. That being said, I was at a local dealership this Sunday, and asked what deals they were having, and he said "Pretty much invoice, or a little below, on everything you see"....

4. May 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    jjbeenken

jjbeenken Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2022 DC TRD Sport(always under construction)
    Hertz - Arc Audio - Precision Power - Image Dynamics - Helix -AP UCA's - Dakar Springs - Icon Vehicle Dynamics
    I paid 78 over cost. I also got 10,500 on trade for a 02 double cab with 160,000 miles.
    Welcome to TW!
    I sell stuff at cost constantly. Not because I want to but because of the area we are in. I tried to purchase an ATV for jonnybb's dad in Montana and they get full tilt bozo plus all of the fees. All areas ar different.
    If you want one go get it and dont look back. There is always another day, a rebate, a better deal etc.

5. May 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Go to another 2 or 3 dealers and ask the same question. If you get the same answer, that's the going rate for Tacos in your region.

Tacos are assembled in the US and Mexico (depending on the model), but certain parts are still sourced from Japan.

6. May 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    I bought mine for $2100 off the sticker price. but that was in january before the quake.

7. May 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport

Ok ummmm you need to go to a different dealer.
    You say you want the truck at invoice price, you are firm with the offer.
    They will make it happen. Trucks are from Texas, no shortage of parts according to my local dealer.

In my experience, having done extensive dealer comparisons and price shopping, the dealerships that moved the most trucks were willing to part with invoice pricing minus additional manufacturer incentives like the army discount etc. Smaller dealerships or ones that sell mostly cars wouldn't budge on their "rock bottom price"

Welcome to TW

8. May 18, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    Sounds like a salesman BS'ing to buy what's in stock and at full sticker.

9. May 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    Bajones

Bajones Well-Known Member

Member:
    I paid basically invoice for my Sport TRD AC here in CO. That was a "good deal" since the truck was on the lot for a good while, all other TRD's and even the 3 base models they had were going for sticker and it didn't sound like they'd budge. Here in CO Tacos are pretty damn popular so the "deals" are harder to find.

10. May 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    I'm in the market for a newer taco as well. I've found that the case is exactly as stated previously, go to a bigger dealership. Prices are still gonna be very similar if you're shopping in the same area, but the bigger dealerships have more room to budge with negotiations.

11. May 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    purchased in mid-Jan for $200 over invoice. Check Edmunds.com for invoice price

12. May 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    ISUGrad05

ISUGrad05 Public Servant Enemy #1

Member:
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 5.7 Tundra DoubleCab
    depends on the market. In my area there is only 1 Toyota dealer in within 60 miles so they can pretty much set the prices. You can try to negotiate a little but if there is a specific truck/options/color that is not on the lot the dealer's attitude was a take it or leave it offer.

13. May 18, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    DS Espy

DS Espy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clovis, Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 Voodoo Blue FJ Cruiser 4x4
    toyota/nissan/honda are all taking it in the shorts supply wise because of the quake. i know this because i am a sales manager at an infiniti store and we also own a nissan store. i also have buddies that work at two seperate toyota stores and they're in the same boat. even if they are assembled in mex/ texas, if the truck needs 2000 parts and only one of those come from japan, well, you don't have a complete truck now do you?? that being said, if there is a specific rig you're looking for and your local dealers don't have it, it will be tough to come by. particularly if you want a huge discount. it all comes down to how you ask and present yourself. if you come in and demand a discount or you're gonna walk, they're gonna let you walk (I would). but if you're nice and educated and willing to be flexible with whats available, deals are still out there to be had. my opinion; buy a few years used. let someone else take the depreciation hit. you might not get the color you want (i didn't) but you'll save thousands.

14. May 18, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    mtbiker71

mtbiker71 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Hemet, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner SR5
    None yet :(
    Well, as someone who just purchased a new taco on Friday I will tell you that the dealer told me the same thing about their supply and the lack there of when talking about new supply. However, that being said I settled for $750 off of the sticker price.

15. May 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    jjbeenken

jjbeenken Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2022 DC TRD Sport(always under construction)
    Hertz - Arc Audio - Precision Power - Image Dynamics - Helix -AP UCA's - Dakar Springs - Icon Vehicle Dynamics
    X2
    My Yamaha order was cut by 75%. I was sweating my non-currents last winter but now I'm glad we had them.

16. May 18, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The last Subaru salesman I spoke to was going to be forced to take unpaid vacation starting next month due to stock running out.

17. May 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM
    RBPTOY

RBPTOY HTTR!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport RBP
    I think it depends on the dealer and the stock that they have. After I bought mine and went back to get the little things that were add ons the salesman told me the same thing. They had a minimum cars that they had to sell before per week and since the inventory was scarce it was sticker or nothing.

The dealer has overhead and if they don't have enough inventory then they need to up the price of what they have basically.

18. May 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    RBPTOY

RBPTOY HTTR!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport RBP
    Dude you sig is killin me bro! DAMN!!! :devil: ok... sorry just could not help myself, now back on topic....

19. May 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    iwant1

Member:
    Thanks to all for the good input. I used to be the guy that went to three or four dealerships and haggled for days to save $200 over the other dealership.....I am 46 now, have a little bit more money, so don't really want to drag this out....but...I also don't like giving away my hard-earned money. So....again...thanks for the input.

20. May 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Tacomas in last 2 weeks have really jumped in value ... used ones went up first ... now the new ones are going up too. On national news tonight ... used Prius went up over $4,000.00 in additional value since January, 2011 & a Ford SUV went from $7,100.00 to over $14,000.00.

This spike is highest in 16 years ... it is on the nightly news (web site) with Diane Sawyer.

That is why I bought my 2011 ... have my 2009 sold for a high price and bought the 2011 just before the new prices went up.

PS ... Many dealers are not even honoring special pricing like USAA either ... and dealers are not trading with each other here. TRD Tacomas & Prius' are hot now ... and Camrys are going up some too.

Products Discussed in

To Top