1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

stickyTaco's boosted eff cancer build and ramblings

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by stickyTaco, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Nov 16, 2023 at 3:41 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco [OP] Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    Oops...this belongs here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/college-car-rebuild-1996-bmw-z3.814421/

Seats are out and roll bar is in for a test fit. It took some work to get everything lined up...in the end I used a ratchet strap to line up the rear support bars with the seatbelt towers. I'm going to refit the seats to check clearances with the bar this weekend and then drop them with the upholstery guy next week. Then the bar will come back out and I'll start in the install of the new convertible top.

IMG_7983.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  2. Apr 28, 2024 at 7:22 PM
    stickyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Started my diesel heater build...just in time for warmer weather. I'm mounting a 5KW heater in a plano bin that is big enough to keep the fuel in it as well so any leaks will be contained and there is room to store the ductwork. Plan is to be able to run one duct to the GFC and one to the trailer.

IMG_9009.jpg

Week before last i had the alternator go out on the truck. That was not fun to replace with the supercharger belt and tensioner in the way. Hope the remanufactured Denso lasts as long as the original...12 years and 116k miles.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    d.shaw, Road_Warrior and theolee like this.
  3. May 5, 2024 at 2:48 AM
    stickyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    A bit more progress on the heater build this evening. Control panel is mounted and I test fit it all with the heater in. I'm going to make some changes to the exhaust to keep the exhaust pipe further away from the Plano box then I'll heat wrap it and mount the heater. I also modified a metal mount to attach the heater to the case. I think I'm going to use and Anderson on the exterior of the box to power it.

IMG_9037.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    d.shaw, rob1208, skidooman and 2 others like this.
  4. May 5, 2024 at 11:46 PM
    stickyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Wrapped up the heater build today. I didn't soak the exhaust wrap long enough and/or I heated it more than I should have because it got a little brittle.

IMG_9044.jpg

IMG_9046.jpg

IMG_9049.jpg

I ordered a Y so I can heat the GFC and trailer. They make some with dampers that I may end up ordering. I rerouted the exhaust after this pic to get it further from the heater air intake.
    IMG_9050.jpg

I used wing nut style hose clamps on sections that I want to be able to remove easily so it can be set up and packed up without getting out a screwdriver.
    IMG_9051.jpg

Anderson plugs for power since it's what I'm running on my truck and trailer for aux power.
    IMG_9059.jpg

Hopefully the rubber fuel pump case helps with the ticking noise these pumps make. Super fancy exhaust hanger too.
    IMG_9058.jpg

This is with the exhaust/muffler, a 16ft length of heater ducting and the Y piece. I'm going to order another 10ft length of heater ducting. I'll pour some fuel into it and give it a test run tomorrow to see if the exhaust gets hot enough to melt the Plano box. If it does I'll fabricate a metal plate the run the exhaust through. I may add a computer fan for ventilation in the box as well.
    IMG_9057.jpg

5. May 11, 2024 at 11:21 PM
    stickyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    I have too many projects :anonymous:

I was going to go with a simple 10A PWM controller to add solar to my second battery but decided it is time to ditch the isolator setup and go with a dc-dc charger with mppt and since I'm doing that might as well replace the old 100w panel with a pair of fresh 100w panels.

Just working on the layout right now. Hope to have it all together by memorial day weekend.

IMG_9078.jpg

IMG_9082.jpg

IMG_9079.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2024
  6. May 16, 2024 at 1:52 AM
    stickyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Started building the wiring harness for the solar and dc-dc charger. Will hopefully be at a point where I can hook it up to the battery and solar panels and test it this weekend.

IMG_9105.jpg

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9103.jpg

7. May 16, 2024 at 9:46 PM
    Cal1630

Cal1630 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1978 FJ40, 2018 Tacoma
    Eel River?

8. May 17, 2024 at 1:27 AM
    stickyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Closer to Canada...but not all the way there

9. May 18, 2024 at 10:58 AM
    stickyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Hoping to wrap up the solar install this weekend. Carpet is glued and now I'm working on the solar panel install.

IMG_9117.jpg

I fabricated the mounting brackets for the first panel last night...wish I made the mounting brackets for both panels last night because it's getting warm out now.
    IMG_9113.jpg

IMG_9112.jpg

d.shaw, Deathbysnusnu and theolee like this.
  10. May 18, 2024 at 2:46 PM
    stickyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    The lights tell me that the solar test was successful.

IMG_9118.jpg

This is with a single panel hooked up with 16awg wire/alligator clips and +10ft of extra 8awg between the controller and battery...amperage and wattage should improve with the proper wire size and the second panel.
    IMG_9120.png

Working on mounting the first panel now...I'm waiting on 4 more t-slot bolts before I can get the second panel mounted. They sit just below the rack so I can still strap lumber and paddle boards to it and there should be room to mount the alpine box/ski carrier in the winter. The alpine box will cover one panel but my power use in the winter is much lower so it should be plenty to keep the battery charged.
    IMG_9127.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    theolee, Juforrest, d.shaw and 3 others like this.
  11. May 21, 2024 at 12:32 PM
    stickyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Testing with both panels and it looks like I can add about 10% charge to the 100ah lithium battery per hour.
    IMG_9153.png

I have a bit more wiring to clean up while I'm waiting on the t-slot bolts so I can mount everything...hopefully I'll have everything to finish this up later this week
    IMG_9155.jpg

theolee, Deathbysnusnu and ian408 like this.
  12. May 24, 2024 at 12:12 AM
    stickyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    More progress. I moved the fuse box over and mounted an electrical box to house two 12v plugs, two USB 3.0 plugs, and a voltmeter. I'm waiting on one more plug that has a pair of USBc plugs and one more USB 3.0. That should be here tomorrow along with some other bits to wrap up the wiring loom. I wasn't a fan of the grey electrical box so I wrapped it with some vinyl wrap I had leftover from another project. I also used a bit of the galaxy wrap on the exterior of the GFC so it sort of matches and when you match you're faster...
    [​IMG]

Wired in the lighting controller for exterior camp lights. These have the potential to be really annoying and they strobe/change color with music which my daughter is going to love
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top