1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stiff Steering

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by bigjoetacoma, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Aug 23, 2016 at 1:30 PM
    jgontars

jgontars New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota tacoma 4 cyl
    I found this the most helpful for my 96 tacoma, if anyone was still wondering what worked. I tried everything and was ready to replace anything an everything. I found that post, used some wd40, and my steering was smooth as a baby's bottom. thanks!

2. Aug 23, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    coveylane

coveylane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I did end up replacing the Intermediate Shaft #2 (which had the little universal) It got to the point where I was spraying it too often and I thought I would eventually lose my steering.

3. Oct 20, 2016 at 12:45 PM
    nh_yota

nh_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    2" Lift with HS coils/AAL and 5100s, TRD Exhaust, TRD Skid Plate, URD Short Shift, AT3s
    Looks like I'm now dealing with this issue too. About a year ago I noticed my steering becoming more stiff and I wrote it off as being caused by the new tires I had installed since they were more aggressive and softer than a highway tire. Now I think I'm experiencing the same issue with the intermediate u-joint that many of you have reported.

It bothers me most when I'm cruising down the road and I need to make minor steering adjustments to keep the truck on course. I'm one of those people who drives with my left hand on the wheel and my wrist is almost getting arthritis from dealing with the stiff steering.

I am more than competent enough to replace the intermediate shaft but I think I'll start with cleaning and lubing the existing one.

timbobzimbob likes this.
  4. Oct 20, 2016 at 12:55 PM
    nh_yota

nh_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    2" Lift with HS coils/AAL and 5100s, TRD Exhaust, TRD Skid Plate, URD Short Shift, AT3s
    I already have cans of PB Blaster and Fluid Film so I think I will use those for now.

5. Jan 23, 2017 at 2:12 PM
    70 gto

70 gto New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 tacoma trd off road v6 6 speed manual
    stock for now
    i just want to thank you all. you have saved a dealership from my wrath. i just bought a 09 tacoma 3 days ago. today on the way home from physical therapy, due to accident in my former 01 tacoma. the steering wheel felt like power steering was gone. drove a few more errands didn't get better. read your posts on tacoma world and fix it 30 seconds. saved me going back to dealer where i bought it 200 miles away. might have been more than upset when i got there on day 4 of ownership.

again thanks to all

6. Feb 9, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    beachbunny

beachbunny Active Member

Member:
    man,2010 with 50k on it, Now it's my turn, I've had a bunch of toys but this is bull. hopefully my extended warranty will cover it, first , i'll spray and check back with you all.

7. Feb 11, 2017 at 7:42 AM
    Plumbgod

Plumbgod Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 toy Tacoma
    Rear air bag lift, front over the coil lift
    Thank you everyone for the cure. After all my research you all should know the new part number is 4520304021. toyotaonlineparts.com had it for least amount of coin. $153.00
    I have passed this site to several friends & we all love it.

Steves104x4 likes this.
  8. Feb 12, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    beachbunny

beachbunny Active Member

Member:
    I cleaned her up and sprayed her down and it does work better now but still at 50k, this should not be an issue,
    thanks all.!

9. Apr 12, 2017 at 1:05 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    It's just started happening to my 09. 106,000 miles on mine. Looked up the issue and read this thread and sparked it with pub blaster and then some silicone spray, no lithium spray at the moment. Haven't driven it to see if it did anything but same symptoms. Very stiff, felt like a flat spot and didn't want to turn at all.

So for people who paid for the fix, I'm looking at around $600?

10. May 3, 2017 at 5:06 AM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill
    To everyone having this problem, FILE A COMPLAINT! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

This has been a known issue since at least 2005, and it is BS that there is not a recall on it. It's a huge safety issue, and a ripoff to pay $160+ for a simple universal joint.

11. Jul 2, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Bump for a good thread! This is happening to me, and later I'm gonna go blast it with PB. Hope it works!

12. Mar 3, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    MilkmanCDN

MilkmanCDN Member

Member:
    Bump! Just wanted to say thanks to the good folks here. The steering started getting stiff on my 2012 4dr V6. Thought it was low power steering fluid, checked, added a little, but no dice. After a few more days, I was encountering some dead spots (really hard to turn the wheel). I read this thread and discovered the u-joint in question. I applied some PB Blaster, then WD40 - White Lithium Grease. All is smooth like butter.

To confirm, you do not have to lift your truck. Turn the wheels all the way to the left and you can see the u-joint through the drivers side wheel well.

Will order part in next month or two and have it replaced. I'd like to add a rubber boot to that joint on the replacement part. Has anyone found something that works?

13. Mar 25, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    coveylane

coveylane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coveylane
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I just read a question about Stiff Steering on the Toyota Tundra site. I didn't realize they were having the same issue with this.

14. Apr 1, 2018 at 5:18 PM
    ravenlord

ravenlord Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Nova Scotia
    Has anyone been proactive and built a tougher steering joint for the truck? Because band aid solutions don't sit well with me and I would prefer to solve the issue permanently.

15. May 12, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    MilkmanCDN

MilkmanCDN Member

Member:
    Problem started coming came back again (stiff steering) about a week two weeks ago. More PB Blaster and lithium grease. Back to normal.

Has anyone found a boot that will fit over the joint? I plan to replace the shaft, and putting an inexpensive boot over the joint seems like a no brainer. If so, would you please share part number and store details? Thanks.

16. May 30, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    MilkmanCDN

MilkmanCDN Member

Member:
    Problem came back again. I finally replaced the joint at a local mechanic. Smooth as butter again.

EatSleepTacos likes this.
  17. Oct 6, 2018 at 8:31 AM
    Kirby62

Kirby62 New Member

Member:
    SWOhio
    Vehicle:
    10 x-bed
    2010 pre-runner 4WD, performed the clean and lube almost 2yrs ago based on info here and a few observations. 1) it took some time for the joint to fully loosen up once I coated in lith grease, 2) I did start having the issue again about a year later. So I started doing this routinely with oil changes. If I can prolong the pain/cost of replacement, all good.

I started doing this a bit differently on last oil change. Spray out the joint with solvent or WD-40 (whatever), I thin wrap the nozzle of my grease gun into the joint with a rubber glove. Start shooting waterproof grease in until it starts coming out around the gun tube, this seems to fill voids pretty well. I knock off all the extra lube with a big acid brush. I think the key is just to keep it relatively clean and lubed, this only takes a few minutes and we will see how long I can avoid the shop. FWIW

18. Oct 10, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    superdooperkevin

superdooperkevin Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ashland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    ‘06 Tacoma TRD OR
    91,000 on my '06 and have been dealing with this for the past few weeks. Today I sprayed that joint with some rust preventative oil from work and my steering is super easy now. I guess I'll just keep it oiled regularly like previously mentioned by other members.

19. Jan 24, 2019 at 2:33 PM
    The Mer

The Mer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    None
    Just wanted to jump on here and say thanks to all who posted on this thread. My '07's steering recently got very stiff when I'd first start turning the wheel and loosen up a little the farther I'd turn it. I googled the problem and this forum came up, which I'm now a member of, and found posts from people with the same problem. I used the PB blaster and white lithium grease on the steering shaft U joint as others mentioned and it seems to have done the trick. Really appreciate everyone's insight!!! Probably saved me a lot of money.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Marc70, Fiesta346 and EatSleepTacos like this.
  20. Jan 26, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    I went through this a few years ago. Sprays and grease help for a while but the only fix is to replace the u joint. My (expensive) lesson was make darn sure you hold that steering wheel in place with the seat belt or something because if it gets loose and is allowed to spin, you will also have to replace your clockspring.

Products Discussed in

To Top