1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

still can't decide 5100's or ome

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RobbieB, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Jan 1, 2010 at 4:54 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    With the OME, the lift is built into the spring. 885's will yield ~3". With that, new UCA's should be in the near future for you. The 5100's need to be jacked up to give you lift. Thus giving the spring less room to compress (if I read all those threads right), thus giving a firmer ride. To do a 885 setup right, some $$$ is inevitable. 5100's are a cheaper solution, although I am not sure you would like the ride with the 5100's jacked all the way up.

You would need to decide on what this lift is for. Offroad or coolness. If it is for offroad, then do it the proper way. If it is for coolness and money is not really a concern, I would say 884's w/ 5100's front and rear and a wee bigger tire. Then try to get the rear spring TSB done on your '10. The 884's should yield around 2" or so, the rear TSB will give you like 1.5" so slight rake will be kept and some slightly bigger rubber should round out the look IMO.
    This is the way I am going when it is time for new tires.

Good luck on your choice!

2. Jan 1, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    scully

scully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Doublecab
    Rear TSB FJ Cruiser TRD anthracite wheels Bilstein 5100's allround Tint
    So your recommending OME 884 springs up front w/ 5100's set at 0 for a better ride as opposed to just 5100's at 1.75 or 2.5?

3. Jan 1, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Sure am. Again, this is just my beliefs. I have no need for a 3" lift. I do almost zero offroading. I am looking for just a tad more agressive look.

I look at it this way: A proper 3" lift would run me 885's, OME shocks and a AAL in the rear. I would also need new UCA's and new rear shocks. Now, I am going to need new rubber. Seeing I am up 3"', I am going to want something beefy to look proportinate to the truck. Maybe some trimming, maybe not. Now I am going to need 17" rims. (I have TRD OR).

Alof of cash for a guy that does no offroading except backing up onto someone lawns to drop some loam, stone etc. And I am cool enough lol.

I do however want a better stance on my truck. After the rear spring TSB, my nose is a tad low. I want to add some lift to the nose to give me a more factory style rake yet give me lift and allow a slightly bigger tire on my stock 16" rims.

The 5100's are an option, and not a bad one for some people. But I will pass on a 1.75 or 2.5 setting unless I have some filberts I want cracked. My truck is a DD so getting in everyday and have my eye sockects re shuffled is not a scenario I want. Again, this is me.

884's are shorter yet keep the same spring rate as the 885's. Those Eibachs that went around are nice, but at 620#, I will pass.

Again, I am 35 and my cash priorities are way different from when I was 25. I always made good cash so I liked nice stuff. Now I want to retire asap. Had this forum been around 10 years ago, my post might have looked different.
    In the end, it comes down to the end user. If they have the duckets, spend em up. You only come this way once. If you don't easily part with your cash, yet want something a tad more. Check out the above setup.

4. Jan 2, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    scully

scully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Doublecab
    Rear TSB FJ Cruiser TRD anthracite wheels Bilstein 5100's allround Tint
    Thanks "rb". Good write up an aside from using my truck as a DD, very similair thought process. I've been reseraching ways to lift my truck for over a year and finally pulled the trigger on a set of 5100's, which are now sitting in my garage. Think I'm going to set at 1.75, buy some new 265/65/16 Goodyear Duratracs and hope to avoid any dreaded vibe. Keep everyone posted.

Products Discussed in

To Top