1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock 1st gen drums 02 Tacoma to 02 Sequoia disks? Can it be done?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Sheepdog, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Sep 28, 2014 at 10:39 PM
    TacomaZAV69

TacomaZAV69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherb
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    02 Stepside Prerunner
    Exterior: 2008 Baja TRD Rims *Blisten Setup* Moog Lower Ball Joints *Upper Control arms* Plasti Dipped -Front Grill & Toyota Logo -All 4 Fender Flares -All Badges on Truck *Anzo Headlights* Interior: -Pioneer AVX-1500DVD Double Din Touch Screen -2 Rockford Fosgate 6x9 door speakers. -2 12' Sony subwoofers *Interior Red led's* *Gauges* *Seat Covers* *Cluster LED swap* Engine: -K&N CAI -Helix Power Tower Plus Throttle Body Spacer -FlowMaster duel 40 series -*Supercharger* -*URD KIT* Fun Toys: Currently rebuilding a supercharger!! -Jackass Horn Kit from Hornblasters!
    I am going to look into this as well.. I think I will MAKE this happen! But First Tundra brakes!

2. Sep 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    If it's in the front it should be in the rear too. I don't have ABS but I still think it is a 4 wheel system. When you work with changing axleshafts in the rear there is talk of ABS and non ABS shafts and housings.

3. Sep 29, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I was researching disc brake swaps after tearing into my rear drums and found gear oil everywhere, mud and rust. The decision at this point was to upgrade to modern brake technology and get some disc brakes that wont clog are self cleaning and adjusting. After looking into "kits" and getting jacked around by a vendor i realized that i can swap in a fj80 rear axle, have disc brakes, a working parking brake, and something that was "factory designed" and would have some sort of defense if i was ever sued. So i picked up an open fj-80 axle out of an 96 for 350 bucks and i am building it now. The advantage is full floater axle, huge ring gear (9.5"), factory e locker if you want one, 3 inches wider and the calipers will work with the taco master if you use a manual prop valve. The downside is lots of bracket cutting (not hard it just sucks), potential problem if you a break an axle with the elocker (you need to cut a hole in the housing to dislodge the axle shaft from the collar) and there's a pinion offset which is not an issue on our trucks due to the wheel base and gas tank location. You will also have to make brake lines which may or may not be a problem for you.

Heres my build thread: Theres no ground breaking tech in there, but i am trying to document the little quirks of this axle and the swap. I am moving a lesiurely pace since i cannot afford a locker and i will swap this in after the wheeling season is over and drop a spartan in it come spring.

I have also read that the ABS sensors will work with a tacomas, however i do not have ABS so you will have to figure that out/validate on your own.

4. Sep 29, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    vern650

vern650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    hyrum, ut
    Vehicle:
    '97 4x4 taco xtra cab 3rz/5spd
    HBS leveling kit, 31x10.50 mudders, header/imco exhaust, rear billies, LR ucas, home brewed onboard air, cb radio
    exactly,
    technically drums have more stopping power do to the larger surface area of the shoe to the drum vs. A tiny pad on a rotor. The problem with drums is they are more susceptible to brake fade from heat and gasses caused from braking getting trapped between the shoe and drum because there's nowhere for it to escape.

semi trucks pulling 80k+ lbs to this day still use drums all the way around for a reason.

5. Sep 29, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:

Trains and airplanes use disc brakes:p;)

The other problem with drums is that they are not self cleaning and need to be adjusted, which in our case is done by the parking brake. If your parking brake is seized due to Toyota's sh*t design, then you are up a creek unless you regularly climb under the truck and manually adjust them.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  6. Sep 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Slander, if you need help with your fj axle, pm Colin (got cope? check the GA board) as he could probably help ya out since he has one under his truck

7. Sep 29, 2014 at 10:37 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:

Thanks man! I have talked to him and 00 regcab as well. Its a pretty straight forward swap.

8. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM
    vern650

vern650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    hyrum, ut
    Vehicle:
    '97 4x4 taco xtra cab 3rz/5spd
    HBS leveling kit, 31x10.50 mudders, header/imco exhaust, rear billies, LR ucas, home brewed onboard air, cb radio
    true dat,

I don't know if I've ever had a vehicle with drums that the auto adjuster worked like it should.

9. Sep 29, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    What about FJ cruiser rear discs?

10. Sep 30, 2014 at 1:43 AM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    Why don't you try this out first and see how you like it. I've read that disc brakes in the back of Tacoma isn't worth the trouble or money. Don't you think Toyota would offer it otherwise?

11. Sep 30, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:

The reason they have drums in the rear is the same reason why the Tacoma doesn't have a diesel, a solid front axle, a factory 4:1....

Products Discussed in

To Top