1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock HU specs

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by horntac1, May 13, 2019.

1. May 13, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    horntac1

horntac1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi - Can someone tell me how many watts the stock (non JBL) head unit in a 2019 Tacoma is putting out? I ordered the Kicker CSS694/CSC674 and am debating on installing the Kicker 45key1804 4 channel amp.

Thanks in advance.

2. May 13, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    destin_meeks

destin_meeks I used to fix people's crappy stereos

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 SSM DoubleCab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Factory radio (in my very limited testing) puts out below 5w each to the fronts, and even less to the rears.

This very limited testing was done on a hot day with a cheap multi-meter so take that number with a grain of salt

3. May 13, 2019 at 11:36 AM
    horntac1

Member:
    Understand and I'm guessing that is pretty close. I think I will go ahead and install the amp along with the speakers.

From the limited amount of reading I've done so far 45 watts is the max you want to put through the factory wiring. Would this be a true statement?

4. May 13, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    I’ve run higher with acceptable results. I’m running 50rms each myself and have zero issues. And I will say, there is no chance I will ever actually draw 50w through my wiring. My ears can’t take it. And I have my gains on the amp set with the radio at 50 vol, which means I’m not even hitting 50w until volume 50, and I can’t take much past 40.

5. May 13, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    horntac1

Member:
    Which amp are you running? I've also been looking into the Focal AP4340 as they are around the same cost but no speaker level inputs. Is there anyway to convert between the head unit and amp? Excuse me if I'm not using the correct verbiage as I know just enough to get myself in trouble :)

6. May 13, 2019 at 11:58 AM
    nudavinci64

nudavinci64 Robert @ Holy Horsepower

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    You can get a line converter to convert speaker level inputs to RCA connections. Yah stock head unit is lucky to get 5 watts. I am in the same boat. Just swapped focal ISS and ISC 165's into the truck and it needs some power now. Dynomatted doors which helped a ton but still lacking power. Currently holding out on going after market HU.

7. May 13, 2019 at 12:05 PM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    I’m running a Kicker KXA800.5 and an AudioControl LC7i as my line-out converter.

The key is a great amp for the price, between the good power ratings, being able to take hi-level inputs, and the auto-EQ and time alignment. I’ve installed dozens of them and they’re great little things. Especially for the Kicker CS speakers you got.

I’m sure that focal is a great amp. But it has a few drawbacks as well.
    1) only takes low-level inputs, meaning you need to buy a 4-ch LOC
    2) it’s big. Meaning it can’t go behind the radio like the Key can. It needs to go under a seat or behind the back seat.
    3) it needs a dedicated power wire to the battery, which adds more work and money
    4) it needs speed wire run back to the factory wiring harness, which adds more work and money
    5) it does not have any EQ or time alignment, so you are limited to the audio signal from the stock radio, which is mediocre

8. May 13, 2019 at 12:10 PM
    horntac1

Member:
    Nice! I plan on doing some sound deadening as well while I'm in there. Crazy how a quick "I want to make the oem stuff a bit better" quickly turns into more lol.

I ordered the CSS series speakers then noticed the KSS series were on sale which made them just slightly more than the CSS speakers. Contacted Crutchfield and changed the order before they shipped. Now with the amp piece the install takes on a bit more complexity albeit simple for an audio guy I'm sure. Will need to get the wire harness figured out as I'm hoping to maintain the factory harness.

9. May 13, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    horntac1

Member:
    Thanks for the info on the Focal...Key it is. On a budget and need to keep the install as simple as I can as I will be doing the install myself. I read through the KickerCS/KeyAmp thread. Would you say that is the best thread on TW for the Kicker install and wiring harness?

10. May 13, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    horntac1

Member:
    Thoughts on the Road Kill foam kits?

11. May 13, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    nudavinci64

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    Thats the foam in front and behind right? I was curious and just picked up a set. There is another brand on Amazon which is the same thing but 40% cheaper. I have not installed them but the idea behind it makes sense so will give it a try. I had tried baffles initially but unless you have weather issues its a waste (foam ones not wood or other version that may actually be better)

12. May 13, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    horntac1

Member:
    Agree in theory it makes sense. It certainly couldn't hurt so worth a try. So did you buy the Road Kill or the other brand? What is the name of the other one on Amazon?

13. May 13, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    nudavinci64

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    I guess I did buy roadkill. But I believe it’s a copy of fast rings

Road Kill RKFR6 3 Piece Foam... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076MM4DJV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I also bought speaker gasket material

Parts Express Speaker Gasketing... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ZPLPM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

14. May 13, 2019 at 4:52 PM
    horntac1

Member:
    I think I will order the Road Kill as well. It will be a few weeks before I can install as the front speakers wont be in until next week. Let me know how it goes if you have the chance to install soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top