1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

stock HU why add a loc?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hoenah808, May 10, 2015.

1. May 10, 2015 at 5:52 AM
    hoenah808

hoenah808 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '14 AC sr5 4x4
    ok i never really searched on here but i just did an install on my 2014 4runner and soon to do my 14 tacoma. this has been bugging me so I figured id start a thread.

i kept the stock HU. Added a jl 500.1 to power a dd 2508 and justt used the high level input on the amp. going to add a rockford T400X4ad to power my helix 6.5s up front.

my question what great benefits do i get from adding a loc or similar? this is for ppl who are looking to just add a sub for some bass, and not get all technical with stuff. i only ask this because i know most ppl will just want to add a sub and the sound system is done

ive come from always using rcas and im sure a lot of ppl will pull the stock deck and realize theres nothing to plug into and immediately think they NEED to go and get a loc or something, as i did, but in reality these new amps will take the speaker signal and tap directly into the amp with no rcas needed.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. May 11, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    lawrenccar1

lawrenccar1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Springfield, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    The stock HU is "detuned" as to not destroy the stock speakers with the highs and lows. LOC is not really the right choice. I went with JL Cleansweep to flatten the signals before going into amp.

3. May 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM
    012TacoDeAsada

012TacoDeAsada Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Whittier
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma MGM
    Icon all around,sick nicks fab front bumper..bfg a/t 275 80 17 on konig counter steer x,all pro rear bumper,5k hid,3k fog lights,rockford fosgate sound system on stock stereo,tints
    Some amps don't come with high level inputs.that's when you would use a loc..no real benefit same thing as using high level outputs..

4. May 11, 2015 at 2:40 PM
    hoenah808

hoenah808 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '14 AC sr5 4x4
    okay processing would be a whole diff animal lol. to the average user tho tuning from the amp would be sufficient.

okay..i was jw, so i can just refer ppl to buying a amp with high level input vs getting an amp without it and spending more money for a loc. i can see if you already have an amp etc etc then a loc would work out. i only ask this cuz i bought a loc for an amp i already had and got crazy radio static. could be from the old amp but i went out got a new amp ditched the loc, moved the amp from the trunk area to under the seats and now the loc sits in my tool box

5. May 16, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    SlowComa666

SlowComa666 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    how does this myth keep coming up?

did you get an oscilloscope and measure the stock head unit output?

what frequencies and db attenuation did you see when you tested?

Products Discussed in

To Top