1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Rear Suspensions, Some 3 Leaf and Some 4?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by off road, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Mar 13, 2015 at 11:48 PM
    off road

off road [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2015 Double Cab TRD OR 4X4 & 2013 Reg Cab Base 4X4
    My new 2015 DC OR 4X4, has 4 leaf springs in the rear (from the factory). I keep reading posts about adding a leaf to get a little lift, but my truck is already more than plenty high in the rear. (I plan to do Billstein 5100's in front, to level things up.)

So now, I have been checking out every Tacoma I see, and I have not so far seen a single stock one, that has 4 leaves.

Do they add a leaf on certain models/years??? Am I missing something here?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. Mar 13, 2015 at 11:52 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Never seen an OR with 4 leaf rear. It is spec'd with a 3 leaf as the 3 leaf allows more flex or so they say, anyway. The TRD Sport has a 4 leaf, all others the 3 with exception to some of the special trim packages, they could be different.

3. Mar 14, 2015 at 12:13 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Mine is 3+1. Not sure why some are different than others.

4. Mar 14, 2015 at 12:33 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    In all truth, you want an AAL (add a leaf) not so much because of lift because I know the rear is plenty high stock, (I got used to my lifted rear end now) but because from the factory you 95% of the time will get a clunk from the rear under harder braking situations, sometimes even softer if it's bad enough. That is called, axle wrap, where the leaf springs are not stiff enough so what ends up happening is the allow the axle to move forwards or backwards too much under certain situations and the leafs end up in an "S" situation, which is never good, you can break a leaf if the situation becomes bad enough. Most importantly though, you end up (by adding a leaf, or 3 total in your situation which would make it 7 leafs if you add a mini pack) fixing axle hopping in turns and regain the traction which you used to lose, as well as better braking abilities. I hope this all made sense.

Long story short, get an AAL. You may not enjoy the lift you get out of it much, but it is worth it for various reasons. I highly approve of them and have nothing but good things to say about them at this juncture in my ownership of this truck. :thumbsup:

5. Mar 14, 2015 at 12:47 AM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    Keep hearing a lot about the spring packs....My TRD Pro has 4 leafs....in a 3+ 1 set up....3 main leafs plus an overload leaf. Maybe this is what the OP is seeing? How is everyone counting the leafs...do you not count the OL or is it included?

Tibetan Nomad likes this.
  6. Mar 15, 2015 at 10:04 AM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    So common setup seems to be 2+1, and from what I can figure 3+1 must be an option (?).

On the Tacoma website, I see a bunch of different Off-Road Special Value and Tow Packages. Got to wonder if the 3+1 isn't included in one or more of them, and just doesn't get listed?

7. Mar 15, 2015 at 12:26 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Overload always counted. It's usually the "+1" when people say 2+1 or 3+1. Both are aka 3 leaf, 4 leaf respectively.

8. Mar 15, 2015 at 3:23 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    3 leaf and 4 leaf is not an option. It comes standard on their models. Off roads always have 3 leafs from the factory, 4 leafs comes standard on the Sport models. 4 leaf is not an upgrade, they do it to achieve a stiffer "sportier ride." Which isn't that sporty at all because of how weakly designed it is.

9. Mar 15, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    x2

10. Mar 15, 2015 at 5:29 PM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    Hate to differ with you....but my new 2015 DC OR 4X4 has 4 (3+1)! It is in fact the only stock one I have ever seen, that has 4. My neighbors earlier model 2nd gen (can't remember year), is sitting right across the street, and it has only 3. I now look at every parked Tacoma I see, anywhere I go (that's a couple hundred by now), and I have not seen a single other stock one (OR or Sport) except my own, with 4.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  11. Mar 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    FWIW

My 2007 Sport came from the factory with 2+1. After 6 months of ownership, I went to the dealer and got the TSB springs 3+1. The original 2+1 would bottom out when you put minimal loads in the bed and why the TSB springs were born.

I would hope Toyota would've fixed that issue in the newer models. Increased spring rates or something.

But apparently... It doesn't matter what you have ( older models) cuz they're breaking and under recall anyway!!

12. Mar 15, 2015 at 9:24 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Yes, this. ^

13. Mar 16, 2015 at 7:02 AM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    Along with all the other hype on the redesigned 2016 model, one of the things they mentioned is that it will have a higher stance.

Perhaps as far back as 2012 they realized that is what folks prefer. To bad they didn't raise the front an inch or two, at the same time.

14. Mar 16, 2015 at 8:17 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The Canadian trucks have had the 4 leaf ( TSB ) pack since 2007 , it's for load carrying , not stance or keeping leafs from puncturing the gas tank

15. Mar 16, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Lol

16. Mar 16, 2015 at 4:29 PM
    off road

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    My truck won't see any hard core off-roading, so I am not particularly worried about springs failing. All I need it to do is haul my motorcycles or mountain bikes out to a campsite, and I will do my hard core off-roading on them....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. Mar 16, 2015 at 6:52 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    My 13 sport has 3+1 and my 06 offroad had 2+1

18. Sep 5, 2017 at 7:13 PM
    CanOfRockstar

CanOfRockstar Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Barcelona Red TX Pro
    i Have a 12 TX Pro 4x4 and have 3 leafs but my friend has a 11 OR 4x4 and has 4 so nooow im confused because the TX pro is supposed to be based off the OR... anyone have an idea?

Products Discussed in

To Top