1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Shifter Bushing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Brunes, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Feb 9, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    So the past month or so my wife has been complaining about the Taco ('08 V6 6Spd) popping out of reverse.
    Little while back-I talked with Chris 8x4x16x3 and he suggested a testing method to determine the cause. I went home- Drove down the alley behind the in reverse loaded and unloaded the transmission. Once it had engaged- It was good. But the first shift into reverse it was still kicking the shifter out....and recently- with increasing effort to get it engaged and increasing frequency.
    So after this weekend- I told her to take it in to Toyota.

Toyota tech looked at it this morning and first time he shifted into reverse- happened to him. They took it in and called her about an hour later said it was a bad shifter bushing and they were replacing it under warranty.

I'll be sure to have her let me know what is going on with it when she gets it back.

2. Feb 9, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    what was the testing method that chris 8x4x16x3 said to use:laugh:

3. Feb 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    1) Shift in reverse
    2) Actually GET the transmission into reverse
    3) Accelerate (in reverse)
    4) Reduce skinny pedal (to unload transmission in reverse)
    5) Increase skinny pedal (to reload transmission in reverse)

This was to determine if it was a transmission gear tooth problem or something else (ie bushings, syncros, girley shifting...)

4. Feb 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Next Chapter:
    Dealership calls my wife this morning and the tech writer says "We replaced the bushing but it's still not 100%. We are going to have to open the transmission up- but if we do and it's damage caused by the lift it won't be covered by warranty"

I went ballistic- They tried to feed my wife the line about the warranty thinking she'd bite off on it and they'd milk a few bucks outta her. She told them she needed to talk to me....and when she did I gave her a few key phrases-namely "Moss-Magnusson" "court" and "Bullshit"

I cannot create a scenario in which the Reverse gear ONLY would be damaged by a lift that has no other issues (ie no vibes, no binding, perfect alignment). So she called them back said to open it up and call her with the results. They called back a while later saying they needed to order parts ("forks"??) I don't know jack about manual trans internals) and did not mention cost...so I'm going to guess they realized that the bad bushing may have caused some damage in the trans.

She has an appointment for Saturday I think- and I may take it in with her. Get to meet the tool shed that tried to put one over on my wife.

5. Feb 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    SOOOO....After a while waiting for "the parts to come in" my wife dropped the truck off on Monday and picked it up tonight. They isolated the problem to somewhere in the transmission and as a result replaced the ENTIRE TRANSMISSION under warranty.

I was concerned this was some sort of new set of problems from the takeout bearing issue....but now the world will never know...

6. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Bump-Edited the last post.

Cliff Notes: Got a new transmission under warranty.

Products Discussed in

To Top