1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock SR5 to TRD off road or sport shocks and springs?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Coolerman, May 26, 2012.

1. May 26, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    Coolerman

Coolerman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 SR5 AC / 2007 4x4 FJC / 2021 Tesla Y
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    I have a stock SR5 4x4 with just over 130K miles on it. It currently rides fine. Lately I have noticed people offering there low mileage takeoff billstein shocks and springs for pretty reasonable prices. I am just wondering if it would be worth it for me to upgrade to these shocks and springs? I read that the 5100's are nice, but these are so much cheaper.

I don't really do much off roading other than some seasonal road use and hunting camp trips. Also I don't plan on lifting the truck. Any feedback is welcome. I can turn a wrench but Ive never attempted anything like this. I see there are some helpful how to threads. I guess I'm just looking for responses from anyone who may have done this. Is it worth the time and money?

Thanks

I currently have some smaller tires(245/75/16) on the truck, I probably should just save the $$ and invest in some 265/75/16's[​IMG]

2. May 26, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    I had the TRD off road and like most was happy to take them off.

The Sports ride alot nice for around town and off even. They have linear springs rate versus the Off Road which is progressive so it hits bumps pretty hard.

The 5100 has better valving and overall has a larger body. It is just a nicer shock. If you get them and set it to .85 or high to level your truck.

I would leave your current setup over the TRD Off road if it was me.

Alot of work to just change to another run of the mill shock.

3. May 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    coolerman,

I would not bother with the TRD take-off shocks. First, they are not true Bilstein shocks. They are built by Bilstein to Toyota specs, worth about $30 new from the dealer. New Bilstein 5100s or 4600s would be a good choice.

If you are satisfied with ride and handling from your springs now, I would leave them alone. If you are not, then study all the various options for replacing or modifying your leaf and coil springs. Most here agree that the rear leaf springs, no matter the truck, are pretty weak and need real springs to replace them with. You will get 102 opions from 100 people about which is the best way to go about rear springs. Only you can decide if you are happy with what you now have or want.

4. May 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Coolerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Pro/2015 Coil-overs n shocks, Icon progressive AAL, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and cradles, ECGS clamshell bushing, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover, 2014 Navigation radio and backup camera, Wet Okole seat covers, rcbs204 lighted 4x4 switch, Weathertech digifit floor mats and in channel window vents, Scanguage II, Hayden 678 Trans cooler, Western Suburbanite plow, Pop and Lock PL8521
    Thanks for the input. I think I will avoid the progressive springs and wait until I need to make a change. When the time comes to replace the current shocks maybe Ill "spring" for the 5100's. (pun intended)

5. May 27, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    Coolerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    I have read many good things about downsouthmotorsports on the forums and I think the 5100's are the way to go. Better shocks plus they would give me the option of adding a little lift if I wanted. Thanks for the link, 300 shipped isnt bad at all. :D

6. May 27, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    FWIW, the TRD Sport and SR5 coils are the same so if you're just looking for a new set of coils to replace your 130k mile ones, SR5 or TRD Sport coils would be the same as yours were when they were new.

Products Discussed in

To Top