1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock suspension with a cap on bed

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MadMtnMikey, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Aug 25, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Have you ever gotten a leaf pack re-arched? I've heard that's an alternative. My thought was that it's probably still just delaying the inevitable, but if it's cheap enough, it might be a good quick (temporary) fix.

But if it costs even half what a new pack would cost, I don't think it'd be worth it, especially if you're just planning on a new pack further down the road (trail) anyway.

2. Aug 25, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I had the same issue with the same setup (4 door with Lear). I put on an AAL and it lifted ~2" and settled at ~1.5" over stock. The weight was shifted to the front any my front started to sag a bit (~.5-1" lower in the front). Also the rear shocks were shot and the extra height wasnt doing them much good.

It was a good quick fix, but I ended up having to get new shocks in the back and new struts and coils up front. Didnt help much that the original suspension has 100k+.

3. Aug 25, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Mike, here is a pic of my stock leafs at about 102k mi, right after I bought it. I am not sure if the cap was on the truck for its entire life. I can only assume so. Lisa's and Steve's were about the same (check out MTGirl's gallery too). I decided to go with the 5 leaf rather than the 4 because of the constant cap load and becasue these springs are just notorious for being weak, which also contributes to axle wrap. If you are throwing a jet ski in there regularly, you'll want at least a 5-leaf replacement pack in the long run (assuming yo uarent' building a trail rig). Steve-o77 hauls jets skis alot (but on a trailer), so you may want to chat with him.

Of course, if you go this route, the back end will be higher than stock, and you'll probably want to lift the front a little so you dont' have crazy rake. Bilstein 5100s with your stock coils would acheive this most cost-effectively.

The Wheeler's pack is a pretty good deal, and there have been two group buys that got 15% off in the past couple years. Watch for another in the future.

[​IMG]

4. Aug 25, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    That's about what my 04 DC looks like at 67K miles... No cab. But I do haul dirt etc... on occation and tow a couple trailers.

The scary part is that my leafs look almost like this, buy my front end is still lower!

5. Aug 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Thats a sad sad sad leaf spring...you need new packs if thats what yours looks like

6. Aug 25, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    MadMtnMikey

MadMtnMikey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I'll definitely keep an eye out for a group buy like that. When I said I threw a Jetski on the back, I meant on a trailer, hahaha.... I'm not sure on the exact tongue weight, but I'd guesstimate 50lbs or so, and it made the back drop noticeably, I thought that was pretty sad.

Could I do a 5 leaf pack and still do a lift ? How does that work mechanically if you can ? I'm imagining the shocks fighting against the natural arch of the springs to raise the truck and not being as effective.

7. Aug 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    The 5 leaf pack is a lift. It provides 1.5 in. over stock. If your shocks are original, you will need new ones all the way around. They don't affect the lift in the rear, but they need to have the correct length to accomodate full compression and extension without topping out or bottoming out. 5100s or OME Nitrochargers will work. The front end is a more complex discussion. Under the suspension forum, check out the lift FAQ stickied on the first page. If you are new to this, it can take a little time to get your head around the many options and issues.

8. Aug 25, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    I just took these pics of my truck with a fiberglass shell. It's a 2002 DC with 51,000 miles on it. Shell has been on it for almost the entire life of the truck according to the PO. Would an AAL work or should I just replace the whole pack?

P8250132_9e287b1283975dd5f9f71e0cef1d3cf04f69e485.jpg

P8250136_d02779da9b7bd5be83dac9d8ab0a0f70e328b324.jpg

9. Aug 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Be careful with the aftermarket leaf packs. With no overload spring, you have to be careful with what you tow/haul. They are not weight bearing springs.

10. Aug 25, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    If you get Alcan customs, they'll build whatever you want.

11. Aug 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    The Wheeler's replacement packs (fabbed by Alcan) have overload leafs.

12. Aug 25, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Those leafs are shot! (They're supposed to "smile" not "frown".) AAL will be a waste of money, since they're not designed to carry that much of the load. You need new leafs.

13. Aug 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    Yeah that is what I was thinking. But I took it to a local spring shop and they looked at it and said they don't recommend new springs. Instead they're insisting on "reconditioning" the old springs and adding an extra leaf. They quoted me 700 bucks to do that which I think is ridiculous. How hard is it to install a new leaf pack? Looks like you only need basic tools to do it, assuming the bolts aren't rusted to hell.

Btw more opinions are appreciated. I don't want to jump into anything until I hear a few opinions of people on here and around town.

14. Aug 25, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Your springs are fucked and so is that guy who is asking $700 to fuck with worn out metal.

JDMCQ has a great install thread. And there is good stuff to be had here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...y-how-thread-compiled-list-helpful-links.html

Also look at the group buy threads for the Wheeler's leaf packs. It isn't technically hard; you just need to understand a few issues (possibly seized main eye bolts that need to be cut off) and get the right parts up front.

15. Aug 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM
    MadMtnMikey

MadMtnMikey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Yeah, I've done some browsing and reading, the 5100's with OME seem to be the most popular and cost effective way of lifting the truck up.

If the Wheeler leaf pack provides 1.5 lift, will I be able to get another inch or so down the road without using blocks ?

I grew up around 4x4's, but this is the first one of my own that I'm looking at modding, and I'm used to old Chevy's and Fords, the lifts those guys get usually deal with re-arched springs or huge blocks and body lifts. Toyotas and dealing with IFS is all new to me, but the front seems easy to deal with when I get to that point as far as what the common setup seems to be.

When the back sit's lower, is this what everyone calls riding bro ? or is that more of a lean ? sorry to change subjects, but since we're on suspension I might as well ask.

16. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.

Wheelers makes an AAL you can add and it gives between 1-2" more lift. What I did.

Ome coils are popular and go well with just a 5 pack. You wont need the aal unless you have eibach coils. Which btw are cheaper then ome coils but give way more lift

17. Aug 26, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    jwicker

jwicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lunar Mist Double Cab 4x4
    ARB shell
    I just pulled my camper shell off of my 03 DC TRD and it rasied up 1/2".
    I have the ToyTec AAL and 5100s in the back and adjustable 5100s in front.
    It sat level with the topper on and has a little rake now.
    I'm happy. For now. ha

18. Aug 26, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    If you go with OME coils, I would advocate getting the OME Nitrocharger shocks to go with them. They are more expensive than the 5100s, but they provide a better ride with OME coils in my experience, and you simply don't need the 5100's adjustability if you use a lift coil. In fact, you would need to keep the 5100s on zero with the much stronger OME coils. The leveling adjustments on the 5100s were designed to level (or lift) the weaker (softer, progressive) stock Toyota coils.

I started with 5100s with my OME 881s, and ended up swapping in Nitrochargers after 7k miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top