1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Tires: 265/65/17 - Looking for BFG All Terrains - suggestions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Scott K, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Jan 10, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    Scott K

Scott K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Amsoil Synthetic ASL 5w30 Oil, Amsoil ATL Fuel Efficient ATF, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 in front/rear diffs & transfer case.
    I'm looking to replace the stock 265/65/17 stock Bridgestone tires on my new to me Double Cab 4x4.

I want to replace them with BFG All Terrains. A few questions.

1) Everyone in here suggests that the Speedo is off and to consider going to one tire size larger to correct it (e.g. 265/65/17 up to 265/70/17) and the reading I have done on here suggests the bump in tire size won't cause any issues with rubbing, and it apparenlty will correct the speedo. Confirm/deny?

2) I am keen to go with BFG All Terrains as I mentioned above due to their severe serivce RMA Winter rating for a good all around tire. I'm also considering going to a narrower tire e.g. 245/70/17's which is about 1" narrower. Will this be ok with the 17" stock Aluminum alloy wheels?

3) I will probably end up with a load range E tire as most BFG All Terrains offered for 17" wheels are that load range. But even despite the heavier tire ply, I still run the same recommended stock air pressures, or do you need to bump up the air pressure with the thicker ply tire?

Thanks,

Scott.

2. Jan 10, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    1) Confirm. The next size up fixed my speedo
    2) I'm personally not a fan of the BFG AT. Have you looked into the GY Duratracs? They are an excellent snow rated tire and all around good AT. But don't know much about going with a narrower tire.
    3) I added more air to my larger E rated tire. Going with the recomended stock air pressure made my tires look like they were low. To find the true air pressure of the tire, try doing the chalk test and that will tell you what is best for your truck and tires.

3. Jan 10, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

I used to be a BFG AT guy on my previous trucks. But did some research this time since the BFGs price went way up since last time. Found these Goodyear Duratracs. Was told they were designed as a work truck tire, so had to handle everything - street, mud, rain, snow. they are rated a 10 as snow tires. I have had them since june, so have driven them in each of the above. These tires are outstanding, really impressed how they are handling the snow in buffalo right now. Recommend you at least go and look at a set before buying.

Im running 265/75R16 on my double cab, also recommend the chalk test, i running 32 up front , 24 in the rear.

4. Jan 11, 2010 at 3:30 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    ^^do you have rubbing issues with that tire size..how is the wear on them? can you take pic of tires at full turn (or whatever you would call it)

thanks

5. Jan 11, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

I have no rubbing issues, they make a slight road noise compared to stock, but really have to listen for it. As for traction and handling, love them. they have been outstanding in the snow now. they did great in the mud and rain over the summer. as far as wear, only have had since summer, but they seem to still be like new.

6. Jan 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

hows this view?

To Top