1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Width Replacment LCA

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Blackdawg, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Dec 12, 2015 at 7:27 PM
    gray223

gray223 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gem

noun
    a cut and polished precious stone or pearlfine enough for use in jewelry.

something likened to or prized as such astone because of its beauty or worth

Just trying to help out my fellow TW members.:D

jberry813[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Dec 12, 2015 at 7:42 PM
    Supermoto

Supermoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Fallbrook
    I thought about building uniball stock length lowers for the 1st gens like 3 years ago. After toying with them for a bit I decided it just wasn't worth it so I plated up the stock ones (which Jason posted pictures of a few pages back) really the only problem with stock lowers is the bushings and with arms being so cheap it just didn't make sense. And I really didn't see a reason to go uniball, the stock ball joints don't fail often. Uniballs are a lot larger than the ball joints and with the lower arm adapter with the steering arm it just didn't fit without changing the geometry.

Now as far as vertical uniballs. They wear out faster end of story. That's not a problem if you run them on the upper because it sees very little force. But the lower sees all the force and the lower is longer so it's never the limiting factor so I have never seen a reason to run a vertical lower uniball.

jberry813 likes this.
  3. Dec 12, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    No. Does not make sense. It seems to me that there is more force up and down as the suspension cycles. Also, I thought a asked for a truly knowledgeable asshole to answer, and it's nearly impossible to so much as approach Jason's level on that matter.

Need to revise you statement Monte?

4. Dec 12, 2015 at 8:00 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Just so we are clear, a vertical uniball means the bolt is horizontal.

5. Dec 12, 2015 at 8:03 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    :anonymous:

:thumbsup:

Carry on,

jberry813[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Dec 12, 2015 at 8:06 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    But what do I know.

Squeaky Penguin likes this.
  7. Dec 12, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully more than me.

8. Dec 12, 2015 at 8:23 PM
    Supermoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Fallbrook
    And just the clarify most of the stress applied to a lower spindle pivot is vertical. The horizontal force is mostly applied to the inner pivots on the arm

jberry813 likes this.
  9. Dec 12, 2015 at 8:28 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
  10. Dec 12, 2015 at 10:48 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg [OP] Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    No..I don't think so. Pretty sure I'm correct on my points..

Either way. It would be cool to have a stock are even with the stock ball joint adapter. But only if secondary's mounts and maybe stike pads and limit strap points are part of it.

11. Dec 12, 2015 at 10:57 PM
    Supermoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Landon
    Fallbrook
    You really don't need to worry about strike pads. This has been gone over a thousand times, an air bump puts less stress on the arm than a rubber bump does. I've built many trucks with an air bump hitting where the stock bump did on a stock lower arm and never had a problem. My brothers Tacoma has been setup this way for 6 years.

12. Dec 13, 2015 at 11:09 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Interesting. Didn't know that

13. Dec 13, 2015 at 12:42 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Fair enough.
    I haven't followed long travel stuff since around 01 so I checked out that design and reread your OP. All I really see to date is essentially a $1200+ uniball conversion.

Outside of Mr jberry's comment on the ball orientation and the LT version shown using a rod end for steering (included with stock length kit?). I see further things that may or may not warrant some discussion. I'm going by the (2013) pic of the adapter so if it is changed I will stand corrected.

First, it almost looks like a "proof of geometry" non structural mock up. I'm referring mostly to the circular cut out in the upper plate where the 4 spindle mount bolts are and the cut out being open on the inboard side. This leaves the inner two bolts doing very little and this junction needs to have everything possible going for it. I am assuming the cut out is to allow the ball to be up close to the bottom of the spindle, trading off some strength for ground clearance underneath the whole thing, just a guess there.

Second, the strength of the lower end of the stock spindle was questioned in the long travel thread but quickly dismissed. I am of the opinion that the relatively massive 5/8"+ thick OEM joint bolted to the bottom of the spindle adds a significant amount of strength and stability in that area and is actually a needed structural component of the spindle. Then there is the issue of the spindle having only 4-5 useful threads on the inboard 2 bolt holes.

Third, on an OEM joint the outer 2 mount bolts run through sleeves/locating dowels that contribute a bunch to strength. The pic isn't very clear but it looks like the adapter has just 4 holes.

14. Dec 13, 2015 at 12:49 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's

Yea ive never seen the kit in person so I couldn't really comment on it. That and I think he has made only two. Not really sure about that either.

One thing I've thought about especially ever since my boots sheared off is I wonder if it would be possible to machine down the tops of the holes on the two inboard bolts to add longer bolts and nuts too. Since they poke out already. Kinda over kill I think as I've never had an issue with bolts since red loctite goes on all of mine every time they come out now but still a thought.

You are right though on how the thickness is probably a large contributing factor and the sleeves.

All things to consider if trying to make a unibal conversion. Which at this rate I don't see it happening anyways.

15. Jan 15, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    2scars

2scars Swollen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD 4x4 Doublecab
    All-pro, T-G, Budbuilt, Warn, Tepui, Homefab rear bumper
    Do you think Delrin would hold up to the task? If so I may have some spun up locally. My truck is a DD with baby carrying duty. MUST be safe.

16. Jan 15, 2016 at 12:42 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    It is very very hard and also brittle though. For a DD, i don't see the need for it since its so expensive when there are poly ones readily available. Poly would be fine.

17. Jan 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    2scars

2scars Swollen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD 4x4 Doublecab
    All-pro, T-G, Budbuilt, Warn, Tepui, Homefab rear bumper
    Roger that^^^^

18. Apr 15, 2016 at 8:26 AM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    Is it possible to add for some additional caster in the design or can that only be done in the UCA? I just had my alignment done with Total Chaos UCA and I'm having trouble hitting spec. Granted the bed/spare is off currently but it doesn't look like 2 or 3 degrees is in my future.

19. Apr 15, 2016 at 10:41 AM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    @alphabravo

I thought you just did the new whiteline bushings and new cam bolts in your LCAs?

It seems like 3* of caster should be easy to attain on your setup, assuming your LCA cam bolts are not frozen. FWIW, the Camburg/Total Chaos unibal arms dial in +2* by themselves.

Are you certain the alignment tech tried adjusting from the lower cam bolt adjusters?

20. Apr 15, 2016 at 12:57 PM
    alphabravo

alphabravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Canada via FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD
    Supercharger AntiDark Hood Light Redline Tuning Hood Struts Morimoto Projectors Grey Wire Mod Tundra 13WL Brake Conversion EBC ED Pads and GD Rotors Mean Green Starter DC Power 250A Alternator Odyssey PC2150 Battery, Artec Cage ADS shocks Total Chaos UCA ComeUp Winch, Factor 55 Splicer Relentless bumpers OTRATTW Switches, Bussman 15304-2-2-4 RTMR, Paranoid Fabrication switch brackets Jensen JHD3630BT Morimoto XB LED Fogs Deaver Custom Springs Ivan Stewart TRD Wheels, Pro Series TRD Wheels
    @Digiratus

Yep. TC UCAs and Whitelines. On of the local guys here works at a dealership and let me watch while he did the alignment. I'm pretty sure he worked all four lower cams plus the tie rod ends.

1. They have an older system and it only let him enter stock size tires (265/65R16 I think). I am running 265/75R16. I'm not sure how this would affect the alignment.

2. ADS coilovers are set at about 0.5" (passenger) to 1" (driver) which translates to about 2" of lift.

3. The only weight I have in the back is the plate bumper. The bed and spare are off. Plus the Deaver Expos all give me a pretty mean rake with prolly over 3.5" of lift. I'm thinking that this is what is killing my caster. If not then I'm not sure why I can't hit spec on caster (about 1.3* or less vs spec at 1.8*).

Products Discussed in

To Top