1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stocko Taco seeking help - crowdsourcing my spending

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sportsguy, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Sep 26, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    sportsguy

sportsguy [OP] searchgeek

Member:
    I want to modify my Tacoma. There. I said it... but there's a twist. I know nothing about Toyotas...

Is there such a thing as a "standard starting list of upgrades"? I mean, I'm guessing a lot of folks follow a similar path when modifing their Tacomas, so what does that common path look like?

I'm not interested in a lift for the 4x4 just yet, so tires will have to suffice. After some research, it looks like a 31x10.5x16 tire will fit the stock 4x4. That's easy enough.

Tonneaus tend to be a personal choice, but again, is there an obvious fave around the community here? Lets leave price out of the conversation as that's ultimately a personal call, but I'm happy to hear ideas from the low cost end to the high cost end.

I guess what I'm asking is for the collective knowledge in this space to help me spend my money. I see this type of feedback as a great way to narrow down the endless choices.

Here's an example:

The grille.

I like the mesh look, but not enough to cut the stock grille, so that rules out some options. Where does a guy go, with that limitation, to find something to meet his needs?

I know some of the common things appear as lists on the home page - at least as far as "here's links to manufacturers", which is fine - even for my needs. Just wondering if I can tap into the broader knowledge base here.

Other thoughts I'm noodling...

• Best bumper with a tow point integrated.
    • Best low profile front bumper with tow points - winch well optional.
    • Where do folks buy black steel rims online?
    • Are there better t-case skids?
    • Should I look for a gas-tank skid plate?
    The list goes on. If I'd just bought a Jeep, I'm know the brands and manufacturers to trust. Toyotas are new to me, however...
    I know, for example, when you lift a Jeep Cherokee more than 4 inches or so, you start to get drive line vibes as the t-case ujoint is maxed out.

So I'm going to crowdsource here and see what comes back:

If you were spending $X on a new Tacoma, what would you invest in?

Let's try:

$1,000 usd

$2,000 usd

$3,000 usd

Love to see where folks take this! :D

If there is a rule, stick to function beats form. Less show, more go.

As a reminder, the truck is a 2011 regular cab, Barcelona red, 4x4 5 speed. Obviously the 2.7 4 cylinder.

2. Sep 26, 2011 at 10:32 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Check this thread for bumpers
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/164975-bumpers-2nd-gens-only.html
    As said Go with some nice billys and maybe Dakar leaf packs, Get some lift and make it look a little aggressive.

If i was you id start with cheap/free mods. ETC BHLM, Blacked out tail lights, Satoshi grill? Debadge? ummm Its really up to your preference man, Determine what you want your truck to say.

3. Sep 27, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    sportsguy

sportsguy [OP] searchgeek

Member:
    Big thanks gang! Great places to start the hunt. :D

4. Sep 27, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    2011TacoBeav

2011TacoBeav Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sr5 v6 auto DCSB
    Self made rear bumper Colormatched Bush Wackers CB Center console lock box Camo seat covers Weathertech Digi blk Bilstein 5100s set at .85 Eibach coils LR UCAs Rear 1.5" block
    What is the "yellow wire mod"? Is that a mod for reg cabs?

5. Sep 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    Chris135

Chris135 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCLB SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged Bilstein 5100 shocks in front OME 885 coils Icon 1.5"aal 16" fj cruiser Trd rims 285/75/16 duratrac tires 1.25" spidertrax wheelspacers (4) Tinted front windows Grillecraft upper grille Custom Trd boxside decals Allpro front bumper Piaa 510 fog lights Box mounted ammo can Rear diff breather BHLM Tinted front windows Rolltop tonneau cover Hand controls (for wheelchair users)
    Should get some good answers here. I know you said you're not concerned with a lift yet but i do recommend billy 5100's up front cause they're adjustable and about an 1.5 aal in back. Then you can fit 285/75/16 tires with only slight rubbing. Also this might help to give you some ideas

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/4838-cheap-free-mods.html

Products Discussed in

To Top