1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stolen Catalytic Converter- mechanic shop rip off???

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by jeanna, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Jun 1, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Yeah some guys recommend welding the bolts so you can't wrench it off (a lot of guys prefer to wrench it off because it's quiet). But for the guy who really wants it, he'll just use a battery powered sawzall and cut it out in a matter of seconds (and do more damage in the process).

2. Jun 1, 2011 at 11:30 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Jeanna, sorry to hear about the thefts. 2 k was a little high for that, but I guess you wernt left with too many options.

PS.. Welcome aboard, before you make any large purchase's in the future, come here and get advice. There are a bunch of good people here that will help.

3. Jun 2, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    jeanna

jeanna [OP] Member

Member:
    seattle
    Vehicle:
    1995 toyota tacoma
    Tacoma TRD- Thanks so much for your advice. I should of come here first you are right. Live and learn. There are a lot of good people and that makes it more bearable to deal with all the bad people.

I SHOULD have taken a pic posted it then asked for some help.

Jeanna

4. Jun 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  5. Jun 2, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    darkgreentaco

darkgreentaco XXXL Member

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, Extra mustard, All-Pro expdtn Leaf, sesame seed bun, Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders, sweet candy coating, LCAskids, diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 Mt/r kevlar
    X2.....those douchebags are reselling them to someone, and the junkyards and recycle centers need to start refusing them from people to stifle the demand, or buy 1 cat from a customer over a long period of time. I think muffler shop owners are in on it.
    :spy:

6. Jun 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    SPORT

SPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    CA bred, currently living in York, PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    3" level lift 1.25" Wheel Spacers
    I'm going to claim some ignorance on some of this; nevertheless,

What is meant by a 'clean' cut? I invisioned just forward and aft of the cat. This would only mean purchasing another cat. However, your bill indicates 2 cats (Not aware of a for. and aft. cat???) a new muffler, and a new O2 sensor. I thought the O2 sensor was placed closer to the header? This may indicate that the thiefs took the whole enchilada, from the header back. If this is the case, then the price, though not cheap, sounds about right. I might have looked into aftermarket or used cat's if possible.

Also, I would get my insurance to cover this. It is, after-all, one reason why we have insurance.

To prevent this in the future, may I suggest armor? Several fabricators here create sheets of steel that bolt up under-neath the carriage to protect it from rock beatings; however, it may also serve as a deterrent to steeling crap from there as well. If this is a viable option, do a search and ask if it would serve your needs.

Also, a high quality alarm system might be in order.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Sport

7. Jun 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    For the last part of the question, they are stolen to get the platinum that is in the cat.
    Most common on pickups/SUVs since they can crawl under more easily and snag them quickly.

Register it as a farm vehicle so you don't have to have one, then you won't have to worry about starting fires when you are off-roading :D

8. Feb 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    moldfish

moldfish New Member

Member:
    My friend had her catalytic converter and upstream oxygen sensor stolen last August 2011 on her 1999 Tacoma. (Dallas/Garland Texas area.) They just cut it off- sometime in the night. I apologize for not having a better picture. It was over 110 degrees, and the pavement was burning me when I was trying to get under the truck to take pictures. You can see they used some sort of saw by how clean the cut is.

Unfortunately the place that she paid to do the repair did not replace the missing oxygen sensor, so the CEL has been on ever since the repair. I'm planning on adding a sensor in the next few weeks by drilling a hole in the exhaust before the cat, and welding on the flange that comes with these oxygen sensors. ( http://www.amazon.com/Walker-250-24154-Wire-Oxygen-Sensor/dp/B000C94HD0 )I'm hoping that the sensor just unscrews from the Toyota type flange it comes attached to. The plan is to weld the flange to exhaust pipe and screw the sensor into the 5/8inch threaded hole on the flange. I know this is a bit of a kludge- Unfortunately the whole repair is that way because of the really shoddy work the repair shop did on the aftermarket replacement of the CAT.

I will post pictures of the complete repair after I am finished if there is any interest.

missing_cat_small.jpg

9. Feb 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    buy a set of budbuilt skids

Products Discussed in

To Top