1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

stolen catalytic converter

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pickuptruckguy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Feb 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    they stole mine, i just got an aftermarket cat so they wont even bother stealing it anymore.

2. Feb 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    TacomaSD619

TacomaSD619 New Member

Member:
    Where were you parked? Thats bs im sorry man

3. Feb 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    GVY

GVY All those moments will be lost in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    FT Bragg
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares, ARB Winch Bull Bar, 3" All Pro Bilstein Coilovers, All Pro UCAs, Wheeler Off Road Custom Rear Bumper, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, All Pro steel-braided brake lines, U-Bolt flip kit, JBA cat-back exhaust, KC 6" Daylighters & 2x6" driving lights, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, Deck plate mod, Toytec 1" shackles, Rhinolined bed, Tiregate Prerunner, Procomp 85 gloss black steel wheels, 285/75/16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
    That happened to me about two years ago out of my old apartment parking lot. Tweekers steal them to sell off as scrap because of the precious metals inside. I was told that Toyota trucks, specifically lifted ones, are routinely targeted because of the ease of stealing them. I had one of those cat clamps but got rid of it. Now I just have a $50 deductible.

4. Feb 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    AZtacoma05

AZtacoma05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD Off Road
    There was a string of thefts in the area I worked in a few years back but that was pre Tacoma. I now park at school pretty much every other day and have been worried about it getting stolen. I'm thinking of taking it out myself and selling it and going with a straight pipe before I get mine jacked lol. Anyone know what you can get for a stock cat?

5. Feb 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD

DOOOH, yep they have been hitting our area ( I live near SDSU too) alot, all my neighbors with tacomas got hit, 11 total, and now that the new ones are installed a few new ones are being taken. Police? what police......

6. Dec 5, 2012 at 1:02 AM
    whoareyou133

whoareyou133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Claremont Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    No pre runner trim, no mud flaps,no step ups,I do have the Deck plate though. Kings @ 0 and 5100's in rear. stock leafs. Total chaos UCA.
    I was in class tonight in walnut ca, mount sac specifically and I had mine stolen, interesting enough there were 2 other tacos and a 4runner that had theirs taken off also. When I was talking to the security guard and he told me that they had stolen 7 last week. They had unbolted it but were kind enough to leave the bolts.... My truck sounds really aggressive haha but has no power. about how much would a skid plate cost. Any input helps thanks.

7. Dec 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    pickuptruckguy

pickuptruckguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 Doublecab 4x4
    Sorry to hear they got you two and thanks for all the responses to this thread. Fixing your truck and future awareness is the biggest thing at this point. After reading up on Tacoma thefts I bought the cat cables others have posted pics of. I initially tried to wrap it around both the passenger side precat and cat, but that didn't work, so I just wrapped it around the cat like the pics show. Of course that was after my $500 insurance deductible to get a new factory cat installed at the stealership. I also invested in a Pop lock - tailgate lock. Luckily I haven't had any issues with my truck since, which is good because I tend to pop my lid sometimes and if I catch someone fing with my truck I will kill them on the spot, then I'll be the one doing time for their crime.

Anyway, something that really bothers me about this is that it happens in multiple occurrences over the course of days/weeks with no notice to the public after the thefts have started. You said the security guard had issues with cat thefts all week, but did you ever get any kind of public awareness message from the school? I only ask because I didn't and the campus police I talked to said the same thing...string of multiple thefts lasting multiple days. Only after I bitched and bitched at the campus police did they send a campus wide email alerting the public of the rash of thefts.

Anyway get yourself a new cat and some kind of prevention. Skid plates are awesome too. In CA you have to have a cat for good and bad reasons. Just make sure it's one that will pass smog for you. GL.

8. Dec 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    whoareyou133

Member:
    Claremont Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    No pre runner trim, no mud flaps,no step ups,I do have the Deck plate though. Kings @ 0 and 5100's in rear. stock leafs. Total chaos UCA.
    Hmm thanks for the reply no I did not review any kind of awareness, which sucks because there should be one especially if its been a recurring situation. The semester ends next week but am defiantly going to bring it up to the campus security to have an email or something going around for student protection. Any ca leagal recommended cats? I've been looking at the magma flows, and I haven't gotten a qoute from the dealership, but at this point with all the other posts I'm assuming it might be cheaper to go after market. Thanks again

9. Dec 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    I wonder if i can take the cat off mine and sell it before its ganked.

10. Dec 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    whoareyou133

Member:
    Claremont Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD

better you than someone else...:(

11. Dec 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    Layzboy

Layzboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Glendale,AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 Rerunner TRD Off Road Sunfire Red Pearl
    Just gettin started
    Ya but think of the enjoyment ya get when ya catch the Bastards in the act with a Louisville Slugger. Im batting a 1000. Just happened to me the other night. People suck.

12. Dec 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    If you werent in NAZIFORNIA i would suggest straight pipe welded instead of the cat. I run Headers and Y pipe is straight piped so no cats :)

13. Dec 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    pickuptruckguy

pickuptruckguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 Doublecab 4x4
    Congratulations - you run a Y pipe.

Everybody always gotta bash on CA in these cat threads. Every time a thread gets started about catalytic converters it somehow gets turned into a pissing contest - "my state is better than your state because my state has no emissions req"

I don't want to breath air with the same quality as Beijing so if having a cat on my truck means I am doing my part to prevent that I really don't mind. Thanks for contributing to a problem much bigger than yourself though, glad it's worth 20 hp to you.

14. Dec 7, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I wish there was a lot more karma justice like the incident in our area some months ago.

They found a dead guy underneath a vehicle many days after it happened (stored vehicle in an isolated rural barn).

He had been trying to steal the cat and whatever he used for stands collapsed on him.

15. Dec 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    Phearson

Phearson Taco or Die

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Gresham OR
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Tacoma. 33x10.5 Kevlar 3in lift
    I just threw in a test pipe :)

16. Dec 14, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Wouldn't a good alarm with a shock sensor on the truck scare someone away with a battery operated sawall attempting to saw off the converter?

Products Discussed in

To Top