1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stoopid Noob Questions (lift)

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sdtag, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Apr 2, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    sdtag

sdtag [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DC LB
    lifted 2", snug top, tube steps
    OK I'm not a noob to Toyota's, just this site.

I know this has been beat to death on this site, but my situation is a little different.

I currently own a 04 Tacoma PreRunner TRD SR5 2WD with 140,000 miles, bone stock. I make my living with this truck and the miles are starting to make me nervous. I plan on replacing it with 2010 Tacoma PreRunner TRD SR5 2WD access cab. Not the Sport, the Off Road version. I was hoping to hold out for zero interest with all of Toyota's problems but it's starting to look like that aint gonna happen.

I have some questions:
    I NEVER go off road, all my miles are freeway miles. I carry about 500 pounds in the bed, tools, machine parts, and stuff. I want to lift the new truck a little bit. I think I want to lift it 2 to 3 inches just for looks. And I like the veiw sitting up a little higher.

Will the cheaper kits be ok for pure freeway driving? Front spacers and rear block or AAL? Or both? I think I want to lift the rear a little more than the front so it will sit more or less level with all the weight in the bed. I don't mind spending a few hundred smackers but I will not spend thousands on this. If that turns out to be the case I just won't do anything.

And will the stock tires and wheels look ok with a small lift? Or will it look stupid?

Comments?

Off Topic:
    I also want to add an add on alarm. I added one to my wife's Rav 4 and it works great. Using the factory keys with the remote lock/unlock buttons and it will arm and disarm the alarm. I repaired a machine at Directed Electronics in Vista, CA at about that time and I was able to buy an add on alarm through one of their employees. It was ridiculously cheap and I know I can't get that deal anymore. I don't have that contact anymore and need another source now. Anybody install their own add on alarm here? what brand and where from? Ebay?

Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BTW I'm very handy - I used to be a car mechanic, then heavy trucks, now I'm on to machines. I'm sure I can handle whatever I need to do on this little truck.

2. Apr 2, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're not going offroad - don't get the TRD Offroad version. It has a locker in it that you'll probably never use. Just a thought....

Look at the non-TRD versions if you don't like the Sport.
    The cheaper kits will be OK for street driving. Avoid spacers that mount outside the coilover assembly. Here's a thought:
    Rear TSB Springs & 1" block perhaps? That'll equal about 2"
    For the front - compare prices for spacers vs 5100's

If you're gonna lift it....you definately gotta get bigger tires. Small tires with a lift does look kinda *weird*

3. Apr 2, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Airbags, Projectors, Bilsteins front and rear, FM 50 series, URD clutch/TOB, Leer canopy, 265/75/16 Duratrac's...
    I would look into Revtek, or daystar, or Toytec because if you just want looks spacers is the way to go, and aal's in the rear will lift the back as well as reduce sag with weight in the bed, I have a 2.5 spacer and it rides great a little stiffer than stock but worth it. because this is a 2 nd gen Taco I wont post a pic of my truck with my smaller tires, but it will look a little goofy but not bad

4. Apr 2, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    PreRunner

PreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    get a less expensive model (non-trd, single cab, etc)

use the money saved and get a real nice lift instead of a crap one

5. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dbl Cab LB 4x4 TRD
    Toytec CO's, IRONMAN rear leaf pack, All pro front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper, BA steps MB TKO's w/285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, Bakflip tonneau cover, autopage remote start alarm, Ultragauge
    Cheap route would be spacers and rear AAL. I wouldn't recommend rear blocks if you plan on hauling.(you are not adding load capacity w/blocks, just looks) Granted your ride will suffer with spacers. Might be better to go with Bilsteins 5100s and rear AAL. Next step up IMO would be front coilovers to maintain your factory ride but pricey. Good luck!

6. Sep 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    sdtag

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DC LB
    I bought my new truck.
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2wd, crew cab, long bed.
    Magnetic Grey of you care...

OK I'm going back and forth over lifting. I have my crap in the back now and now it sits about 1/2" lower in the back than in the front.

I am leaning towards front spacers, probably 2", maybe 3". And rear AAL.
    I can go 2" front spacer and the AAL I think I might need a 1" steel block in addition to the AAL because it does not sit level now.

So here's my question(s):

Anybody deal with Fat Bob's in Utah?
    I can get 2.25" spacers and the 2" AAL for 170.00 plus 70.00 for the 1" block.

How about EZ Lift in Garden Grove, CA?
    2" spacers and AAL for 200.00.

I like the idea of EZ Lift because I live about 20 miles from them. I can take my truck and show them how it sits and get their recommendations.

I know I'm beating this to death but I only want to do this once.

Thanks in advance.

7. Sep 6, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    sanga700

sanga700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Red Tacoma SR5 4x4 V6 6sp
    TRD intake Airbox,4 corners 5100 front set @ 2.5".Rear TSB,1.5" Toytec AAL,skid plate.running board, EGR in channel sun visors,Valetine one radar detector, 17x8.5 Black MB Wheels. 265/70/17 Handkook Dynapro ATM
    after the lift you probably spend atleast $ 1500 bucks for new wheels and tires . like above said stockers look weird with the lift.

8. Sep 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    sdtag

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DC LB
    I did it.
    It took a little longer than they said it would but it all worked out.
    Fat Bob's long aal and a 1" steel block lifted it 3" in the rear. The 2 1/4" strut spacer lifted it 2" in the front. 2 1/4" I'm guessing. No spring compressor - gotta love it. With the 500 or so pounds in the bed it sits perfect. Now it sits like a truck should. I couldn't be happier. And I never had to align it. I drove it at speed and it seems just fine, wheel is centered, no drifting. I guess I'll find out in about 5000 miles or so. Anyway, done deal. Thank you all for your help. Now if I can figure out how to upload or link to a picture...

9. Sep 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    sdtag

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DC LB
    [​IMG]

well that was easy

To Top