1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

stopping on ice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jewels2, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 20, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    hkbeliever

hkbeliever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport
    I am kind of shocked that no one is recommending shifting into nuetral when trying to stop in an auto trans. Of course with a clutch just the same. It takes away the forward pushing and braking working against each other. I have to remind someone of this every winter and without fail I get a huge thank you!
    That being said... Studded tires beat even Blizzaks on ice hands down. I buy new studded tires on average every 2-3 years for all my familys vehicles. Old studs are still better than not but new studs...I can hear them grabbing and I skid to a stop quickly. 40 Years here in the mountains of Colorado and learned to drive here before I was 10 (once in a while with parental consent....lol). I hear people compare their brand tires to studs all the time and have tried myself with a car that we couldn't get studs for, the only thing that comes close...those Yoko tires with walnut shells in the rubber.
    Downside to studs....NOISE! I can deal with it as I just crank the stereo but I find the number one reason people dislike them is noise and price for a winter set of tires. You have to ask yourself "what does even a minor fender bender cost to repair and even worse a trip to the ER?!!

Jus sayin

2. Jan 1, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
  3. Jan 1, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    yes I am much happier now running studded snow tires.
    The stopping ability is night & day especially when towing.
    No more ABS kick in on glazed roads.
    Uphill I can hear & experience the gripping.
    My anxiety level is much calmer for those sudden temp changes which we see a lot more now with global warming. :(
    In the parking lots all I hear is tick tick tick, so apparently lots of other people use them too.
    Yes one fender bender or black ice experience is all it takes. It happens in a blink of an eye.

To Top